Concerned about scene with QUILTBAG Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

My MC has a mother who is in the QUILTBAG community. I have a scenario where the MC feels detached from his mother. This occurs after a series of events that change his life. In his mind she is no longer his mother, his source of comfort; she's just another woman with a familiar face that's part of a chapter in life that he closes as he moves forward with his new responsibilities. The same thing would've happened if she were straight. So her being in the QUILTBAG community or not being in the QUILTBAG community doesn't matter.

However because she is a QUILTBAG member I wanted to know what some of you think about the scene I described and wondering if I should nix it.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
a) There's nothing inherently wrong about a book depicting a person who slams the door on a relative because the relative has come out as trans or bi or intersex or whatever. There are such people; there are such behaviors. It may not make your character an admirable MC but it doesn't make the book a repellent book.

b) If the plot trajectory of the book reads like "MC and mom are close; mom comes out; MC disowns mom", that's one situation; if the plot trajectory is more akin to "MC and mom were once close; mom is out of closet, MC knows about it; then series of events happen; MC becomes distant from mom", that's a very different situation.

If he knows of her identity/orientation AND THEN the "series of events" happens, it's mostly not going to be an issue anywhichaways. If he finds out about it in the same general timeframe as the "series of events", it could indeed come across as if MC is distancing from her because of that.

c) You've made it clear here in your post that the reason for the detachment from the mom is something other than her sexual / orientation identity. Any reason it can't be similarly clear in the ms?

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
c) You've made it clear here in your post that the reason for the detachment from the mom is something other than her sexual / orientation identity. Any reason it can't be similarly clear in the ms?

It will be made that clear in the MS. I'm just wondering how it will be received. But considering the other things you've said that gives me an idea that people should be okay with it.

I do have another concern but I'll need to speak to some other folks about it and then bring it here for general consensus.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your input.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Being LGBTQ doesn't make someone perfect, or obligate their friends and family to maintain ties with them if they otherwise wouldn't. Unless you tie the MC's poor relationship to his mother to her identity, I don't think a lot of people will make a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.