Registered
Reaction score
Working on How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Hawkes Harbor - S.E. Hinton

I'm still towards the beginning... not really sure what to think of it yet.

Eliza azilE

Registered
Reaction score
I Killed: True Stories of the Road from America's Top Comics

I'd never heard of this book til I saw this post.

I got it from the library a few days ago and then set it aside, saving it for the right moment. The right moment came last night when I couldn't sleep. This book was perfect for such an evening/very early morning. Kept the demons away.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in the topic.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Finished the Strain trilogy, which I enjoyed mostly....moving on to "Driving Blind" by Ray Bradbury, and reading "Charcuterie: Salting, Smoking, and Curing"

Note: Charcuterie is a very good book in many aspects, but a bit pissed to learn their coppa recipe is way off; it appears coppa is almost universally a whole-muscle cut, and they never mentioned a few other very useful things i found elsewhere, like how to mold your own sausage to help minimize overdrying.....cool book but you'd do well to spend a bit of time researching anything you wanted to try outside JUST taking their word alone.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Gift of the Jews by Thomas Cahill. Nonfiction along the lines of his earlier work, How The Irish Saved Civilization, but thus far not as compelling.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I'm still reading the Death Works trilogy by Trent Jamieson (I'm in the middle of Managing Death) but I'm also diving headfirst into Sophie Kinsella's, Can You Keep a Secret? and I love Sophie's voice so far - optimistic and light and yet there are some heavy-ish things dealt with like the part where Emma says, "...can't expect the initial passion to last. But how do you tell if the passion's faded in a good, long-term-commitment way or in a crap, we-don't-fancy-each-other-anymore way." I think that's something we all ask ourselves at some point. At least, I have. Great read so far.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harry, how on Earth are you reading all these books so fast? I'm impressed...:Hail:

Well, I use the patented Hoskins double-pronged technique -- read (mostly) short books and be unemployed.

I use to use the patented Donald Trump method -- be gainfully employed and pay someone to follow you around reading aloud, but can't afford that option anymore. If anyone wants to volunteer for this position -- unpaid, of course -- let me know.*

*The right candidate should be aware I often frequent Tesco's and the local Catholic church. I like dark, interplanetary, erotic fiction.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the AW Big Book of Cryptic Crosswords (with prizes!) by Harry Hoskins.

Oh, wait - no, I can't be.

Quel dommage. :cry:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley. I hated this book because it scared the you know what out of me. It kept me up the last two nights.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Finished What I did for a Duke (Julie Anne Long) last week. I put it in my "favorites" collection on my e-reader, even though I think she's a bit too wordy, because the romance was just that good.

Now reading both:
Stumbling on Happiness (Daniel Gilbert) and
A Lot Like Love (Julie James)
I haven't read two books at once in ages. I think it works best for me when one of them is non-fiction.

I feel like I'm jinxing myself, but I've been on a great roll with books lately...haven't had any bad reads for quite a while.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Finished What I did for a Duke (Julie Anne Long) last week. I put it in my "favorites" collection on my e-reader, even though I think she's a bit too wordy, because the romance was just that good.

Now reading both:
Stumbling on Happiness (Daniel Gilbert) and
A Lot Like Love (Julie James)
I haven't read two books at once in ages. I think it works best for me when one of them is non-fiction.

I feel like I'm jinxing myself, but I've been on a great roll with books lately...haven't had any bad reads for quite a while.

Could you let me know how A Lot Like Love by Julie James is? I've read another book of hers (Practice Makes Perfect) and I liked it.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I must be getting senile…and although nobody probably cares if that is the case, or why that might have come about…well, I picked up a book at a taxi shed, where taxi drivers leave books, strange, yes, but the book I picked up a week ago made me feel kind of special.

It was priced at $99.95 (oh, marketing stuff to make someone who brought it prior to them throwing it away, like they had saved something…yep five cents) but anyways the sale price on it was $55.00 and I felt like I had found a treasure….and it kind of is.

The Giant Book of Favourite Verse – Classic and timeless poems by craftsmen in verse. T. S. Elliot – Philip Larkin – Ted Hughes – Seamus Heaney – W H Auden – Wilfred Owen – W. B Yeats and many more.

As I browsed through the pages I felt illiterate and bored, and had no idea who most of the writers are, then I found some lovely writings inside :)

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Could you let me know how A Lot Like Love by Julie James is? I've read another book of hers (Practice Makes Perfect) and I liked it.

Finished it this afternoon. I enjoyed it a lot. All of her books (I've read 4/5) are very good.