What are you reading?

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Coraline - loved it! The movie was quite loyal to the source materials.

Finally taking a stab at A Game of Thrones - I'm starting to get into it, should be able to finish it this time around.

Dynastic

Megalomaniac with a typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
My Name is Red – Orhan Pamuk

Reading this is an experience one has to savour, like allowing the richest kind of Swiss chocolate to melt in your mouth, allowing the characters and the ambiance of 1590s Istanbul to overtake you. The writing at points is so excellently crafted that, at times I have to remind myself, were not something I had seen on television. The general theme that it conveys in regards to the "Clash of Civilisations" is something I found compelling and quite relatable in the post-9/11 world.

Though the novel is dense, posing some serious dilemmas and questions for the reader, which perhaps I felt more, being a Muslim and living in Pakistan. It requires the reader to not just read the book but to understand it as well. Its pace is quite slow, but it managed to keep my attention, but the experience is worth it.

And as a read, it is a tad bit unconventional for an English novel given the structure of the tale, at-least I found it so, as I believe it follows the traditional narrative structure found in Muslim cultures, of weaving stories within stories.

Though I still have 98 pages left.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
'The Emperor's new mind' by Professor Roger Penrose.

It's blowing my fragile little mind. He says that human consciousness can only be explained by multiple-universes, and that there is no difference between the past and the future, it's just an illusion. I'm glad I'm not a physics genius, I'd be in the loony bin if I had to deal with these kinds of facts everyday (and if I understood them properly).

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
That's some heady stuff, Clee. I'm reading a novel called RAPTOR. Not that thrilled with it so far, the mc is actually kind of boring. I wish the whole thing had been written from the killer's POV, he's far more interesting. I shall slog through, glutton for punishment that I am. . .

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am reading Cutting for Stone. It's making me depressed, both because the story is sad and because the writing is SO good it's like having someone else's brilliance shoved in your face. And rubbed around a little.

:(

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Emma by Jane Austen. Still not quite my cup of tea, but I think it's infinitely better than Pride and Prejudice.

Also, I'm reading New Stories From The South: 2006 for one of my classes. I came across a story called "No Joke, This Is Going To Be Painful" by Kevin Wilson the other day and really really liked it... Good collection.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
The Special Prisoner by Jim Lehrer. Taut, horrific, and surprising--I knew Lehrer was anchor on the PBS show NewsHour, and presidential debate moderator, but I never knew he wrote fiction. He's a really good writer.

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading The Eagle Catcher by Margaret Coel. I adore her Wyoming-set Wind River mysteries.

Petros

Registered
Reaction score
1Q84. It's long as hell, and at the rate I'm going I'll be done by Christmas, but I'm really engrossed it so far.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
re-reading for about the 10th time - Charlaine Harris's 'Dead Until Dark' the 1st book in hte Sookie Stackhouse series (It's the series that inspired HBO's True Blood )

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Short story anthology - 'The Year's BEST Dark Fantasy & Horror 2012'

The first few stories I only skimmed the first page or so and they didn't grab me but Joe R. Landsdale's The Bleeding Shadow was excellent. Sort of Noir detective meets HP Lovecraft. I'll definitely be looking up more from that author.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Violence: A Writer's Guide by Rory Miller. It's excellent, like all his books. And very useful.