Any other slower writers out there?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It has always amused me that other writers find sex scenes fast and easy to write. To me, sex and even romance scenes are a guarantee that my word count will be crawling.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
It has always amused me that other writers find sex scenes fast and easy to write. To me, sex and even romance scenes are a guarantee that my word count will be crawling.

Same. I like writing the build up to a sex scene, but sex itself is far too complicated to put into words (for me).

PrincessOfCats

Registered
Reaction score

*cough*

Okay, this is a tiny bit embarrassing, but when I was in the middle of my first novel, I really needed a wild sex scene. It was an aspect of the story, illustrating the relationship the main character had with the love interest in contrast to the relationship he'd had with his fiancee. Lots of fighting and "making up".

I realized pretty quickly that I had NO idea what I was doing, so I tracked down a friend who I knew did a lot of 'erotic role play' online and, um, practiced. And she was a girl, so wow was it ever really, really weird. But if anyone knows how to describe sex, it's people who spend hours and hours doing it every night, and I figured as long as I was going to write this novel, I might as well do it right.

Long story short, she taught me a lot, then referred me to someone else who was a man and taught me more, and as a result, sex scenes are really easy for me to write.

And that, my friends, is how far I'm willing to go for my art. ;)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
*cough*

Okay, this is a tiny bit embarrassing, but when I was in the middle of my first novel, I really needed a wild sex scene. It was an aspect of the story, illustrating the relationship the main character had with the love interest in contrast to the relationship he'd had with his fiancee. Lots of fighting and "making up".

I realized pretty quickly that I had NO idea what I was doing, so I tracked down a friend who I knew did a lot of 'erotic role play' online and, um, practiced. And she was a girl, so wow was it ever really, really weird. But if anyone knows how to describe sex, it's people who spend hours and hours doing it every night, and I figured as long as I was going to write this novel, I might as well do it right.

Long story short, she taught me a lot, then referred me to someone else who was a man and taught me more, and as a result, sex scenes are really easy for me to write.

And that, my friends, is how far I'm willing to go for my art. ;)
haha, awesome

MegaloMaster

Bringer of the End
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.box-chatter.co.uk
I'm currently just over 15,000. In a word war with others, some can reach 900 in 15 minutes whilst my best will be - at most - half that. I find it tricky to rush whilst still writing what I want to. The editing will be a finer process later though rather than having to rewrite all 50,000 words of nonsense. Glad I'm not the only one.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I wrote the last 15k of my NaNo on the very last day of the month. I've also been known to do 6K-12K in a sitting if I'm feeling really inspired, but that happening more than once a year is rare, I promise. The rest of the time I can go weeks without exceeding twenty words at a stretch. Slow is my default; anything else is an aberration.

That's why I work so hard doing NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNo. I know it's hard for me, and the deadline is a big help to keeping me on track.