Not open for further replies.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Overdo Crikey?
Don't use it! No-one in Britain says "Crikey!".

Crikey's fine if you're writing historical. There's a reason why it's a stereotype. It appears commonly in the written record of the dialect.

Consider this 1920 reference from 'The Old Man's Youth and the Young Man's Old Age' by William Frend De Morgan :

Which reminds me forcibly—up to digression point—that this happened in the days when boys, and even grown men, said " Crikey! " to relieve astonishment, or express admiration. It is to me, if not a solemn, at least a strange thought, that unless there chances to be living some veteran, not brought up to date, who still says " Crikey! " there must have been a moment in these last years that have fled, when " Crikey! " was actually said for the last time. Think of it!—if we had been there and could have known it! A little landmark, but a clear one, in a journey that had left youth behind! But if ever these words are read, will he who reads them even recognize " Crikey! " ?

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as accents, if they're too thick, it's more trying to decipher than reading.

My answer:
"You cannot be out in this weather without your pea coat on, laddie," McCredie said, with a thick Gaelic accent. "You'll freeze your bollocks off." It sounded like: Ye can-eye be oot en thess wither wi'oot yer pea coat on, laddie. Yull freeze yer bollocks off.

I write the rest of McCredie's dialogue normal, and you get the idea--once you decipher a sentence or two--of how he talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.