Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Kill everyone :D

I read 2 books already. One being Room by Emma Donoghue, apparently a very well known novel, that I wasn't familiar with. (English isn't my first language)

I was very impressed!

Wrote about 2'000 words so far. Not a lot. But, I did words. So, that's good.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Not getting any homework done today, but I did have a chat with my lecturer about a bad grade I got, and where I'm going wrong with the type of writing expected in this class (creative non-fiction). Got a few book recommendations for the nuts-and-bolts techniques and such for CNF, so I have to hunt those down, and also some general notes to give me some idea of what is going wrong.

But yeah - the bad grade was bad. I still passed the assignment, but damn... Not happy with that only-just-barely a C, very nearly a D. :(

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! You're on fire! There was me thinking my 5k would be the winning move. :D

Took me hours and hours. I think I'm LESS productive on days off. I have one scene left, and I should have done it yesterday. It feels like a loose end now. I'm sorry this one is almost over. I wuv it. :kiss:

PS: since I don't need to make another post... I'm terrible at paperwork. I went back through my planner, and ended up 10K+ short of logging the words I wrote. What a disappointment! I wanted to figure out how productive I was, but I guess I'll content myself in being productive. I will try to be a better note-taker next month.

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
But yeah - the bad grade was bad. I still passed the assignment, but damn... Not happy with that only-just-barely a C, very nearly a D. :(

:Hug2: I'm sorry, Cliff. It happens. At the very least you passed and you have a better idea of what to do next time. Keep your chin up.

I put Nutella on chocolate chip Eggo waffles for breakfast this morning. Definitely one of my better ideas. :tongue

Goals for September:

*Write 15k of something
*Write at least half a blog post (since mine from last month is still at the halfway mark... One and a half or two and a half would be preferred...)
*Read at least 5 books
*Complete at least 5 of my DayZero goals
*Remember to finish buying my textbooks for fall term since classes start up again on the 29th
*Get a job. Or at least keep looking for one. One of the two.

I feel like I had something important I was supposed to do right now, but I can't remember what...

Oh well. I'm sure I'll be fine. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Vamp. I'm really frustrated with myself, though. I'm better than that, and I keep thinking that I could've figured out how to make it better on my own... And mad that I settled for "good enough" because I didn't feel like doing any more work. Blech.

I think today, when I get a chance, I'm going to work out what needs to be changed for my final piece (which we workshopped part of on Monday), in light of this new "You're doing it wrong!" feedback.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
2700 words today and I'm going to bed in anticipation of starting a seriously awesome action sequence tomorrow.

Took me hours and hours. I think I'm LESS productive on days off. I have one scene left, and I should have done it yesterday. It feels like a loose end now. I'm sorry this one is almost over. I wuv it. :kiss:

If you write 5000+ words on a not-productive day, I'm frankly afraid. :tongue

PS: since I don't need to make another post... I'm terrible at paperwork. I went back through my planner, and ended up 10K+ short of logging the words I wrote. What a disappointment! I wanted to figure out how productive I was, but I guess I'll content myself in being productive. I will try to be a better note-taker next month.

I log my wordcount daily in a spreadsheet when I'm on a Nanowrimo kick (and I'm still on that kick from July). The consistent logging helps me maintain momentum - I like to see my numbers getting bigger and bigger.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I made a spreadsheet. Doesn't do me a bit of good. haha.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Just bought a new futon mattress that's over twice as thick as the one I'm sleeping on. :tongue

Apparently the thing (standard size) comes vacuum-sealed in a 12" tube and cutting that layer makes it expand like a pull-cord life boat. This should be fun.

And hey, shipping estimate says it may or may not show up on my birthday. :tongue Could get some nice birthday entertainment there.

~Amber~

SamuraiHex

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samuraihex.weebly.com
Less of a productive day than yesterday. Ended up waking up really late after spending all night writing the prologue. Since then I mostly edited and added to the 1.8k of words. Must have deleted about 800 words, then added 1.2k more. You could say it's a productive day my end. Though it depends. Productive changing in my mind from actually progressing the novel to actually erasing the mistakes.

Still you have to do these things. Hopefully get to start Chapter 1 by the time I wake up in the actual morning this time!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
It's done! DONE! I wish I could celebrate for real, but I have work in a few hours.

Tomorrow I will celebrate in style. :partyguy:

70.6K words complete, in 65 days. I think that's a personal best.

Vampy - those pull cords sound *awesome*
Parametric - that 5k took 8 hours. I usually do better than 1k an hour... so well below average!
Chompers- Go get that story!
Cliff Face- Bounce back from that grade. You're working hard, and a correction is just a correction. Hang in there. :Hug2:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing, Coffee! And thanks about the grade. I actually got a confidence boost about 3 minutes ago. I found out my grade for an assignment for my *other* creative writing topic (also looking at non-fiction). I got 90%! :D That's just about the best I've ever done in a creative writing assignment, so I'm thrilled. (I usually hover around the 75-85% mark.)

So hooray for confidence boosts!

In other news, it looks like I have somewhere between 150 and 175 pages to read for classes this coming week... *sigh* So that'll be 2 days to read all that, no doubt. Though I'm going to try to be smart about the readings for Life Writing... We have a short assignment due next week based on some of these readings, so I'm going to make notes as I go, instead of having to re-read later. :)

Also, Vamp, that mattress pull-cord thing sounds like fun. Would it be possible to film it? I'd love to see it. :D

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Yes, coffee for me as well, 7.08 in the morning and partner just left for work and I opened the laptop and what do I find?

A beta key to a game I've wanted to play forever.

Uh-hoh. Productivity might say bye now.

On a positive side note I've read 4 books already. Had a reading phase :) So, now onto the writing phase.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Did all of the readings for one of my classes next week, today. As well as highlighted key points. Then washed over 100 dishes (the dishwasher is broken... *sigh*), though to be fair most of them were cutlery. Then typed up those quotes. And found another reading that I forgot about, and read that.

So all up, about 70 pages read today, and a dozen or more quotes that will be helpful for an assignment due in... 8 days. I think that's reasonable for one day. :)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
:e2coffee::Coffee::e2coffee::Coffee:

Enough coffee for everyone. Everyone get some good writing done!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Coffee! You are awesome! Congratulations on finishing! :D

SamuraiHex

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samuraihex.weebly.com
Unfortunately some bad news my end when everyone's doing so well.
After saving my work last night, I went and turned everything off and fell asleep. Waking up about thirty minutes ago, my work had apparently deleted itself off my whole laptop. Really upset about that, I can't find it anywhere (even on the files I keep through Dropbox and BoxSync). Good news, if any is that I was thankfully only on Chapter 1. Hopefully I can write it back from my memory, who knows might even end up being better.

Congrats anyway on completing it Coffee!

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Waking up about thirty minutes ago, my work had apparently deleted itself off my whole laptop.

That is a nightmare. Did you check your temp files to see if you could recover it? (that saved me a few times back in my student days...)

I hate losing writing, and I'm not in a positive state of mind to rewrite it... I hope you make it even better if you have to do it again!

Katje

Amoebakat at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katjevanloon.com
So, it's a new month, so we need a new thread.

For those who don't know the drill, set some goals to complete this month, and then check in here for moral support as you go about obliterating your goals. :)

Yeeeeeaah, okay. I need some accountability. ;)

September's Goals

1. Finish revising The Jade Star of Athering and send it off to the editor for first round of edits. Assuming I get it back before the end of the month, send off to beta readers.
2. Try to finish Secret Project. (the current project in the genre I write under a different name)
3. Start work on outline for Anala.
4. Finish outlining From the Ashes. Revised pantsed bits as needed.
5. Write 5,000 words on From the Ashes.
6. Revisit Winterborn. See what can be done.

Okay. Off to work on #1.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's done! DONE! I wish I could celebrate for real, but I have work in a few hours.

Tomorrow I will celebrate in style. :partyguy:

70.6K words complete, in 65 days. I think that's a personal best.

Congratulations, Beansie! Great work!

I was in rewrite mode yesterday after realizing that I need to get a better fix on my story's timeline. My two main characters are in different locales, pursuing their own (interwoven but not yet connecting) plots. I can't decide if I want a missed message between them to happen earlier, or not at all, so I was futzing around with that rather than actually writing.

I'm about halfway through the Little House Cookbook.

Current word count: 57,617 (goal: 76,764)
Books read: 0 out of 4
Blog posts: 0 out of 2

Katje

Amoebakat at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katjevanloon.com
After saving my work last night, I went and turned everything off and fell asleep. Waking up about thirty minutes ago, my work had apparently deleted itself off my whole laptop.

Oof, that is some major suckage. =\ I hope you're able to rewrite it without too much difficulty.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Also, Vamp, that mattress pull-cord thing sounds like fun. Would it be possible to film it? I'd love to see it. :D

I was absolutely planning on filming it. :D If I can get a good enough video (meaning any quality of video except absolutely butchering it) I'll post it on YouTube and give you guys a link. :tongue

And since it's shipped already (wow, that was fast) the official estimated delivery date is now on my birthday. :tongue

~Amber~