My NaNoWriMo 2014 Journal

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
On October 31, I was asked if I would be doing this. I'd never done it before, but I decided to go for it (keeping in mind that I have a retail job with different hours from day to day, stuff to watch, and various other misc. things that eat up my free time). I set up an account on NaNoWriMo and came up with a novel idea before going to bed.

November 1:

After work (during which I mentally worked out some of the story), my first order of business was watching episode 9 of "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal" (after reading the corresponding Act 9 of the original manga). I didn't get around to actually writing under after 10:00 PM. This is my first time pantsing a story. I came up with my two MCs' names on the spot.

Total word count: 905 (Nano officially says 907)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck!

Thanks! :)

November 2:

Church, breakfast with mom at Burger King, and work. Then she wanted to watch episode 8 of "Gilmore Girls" on Netflix. Internet videos and "Once Upon a Time" followed. I didn't start writing until just after 9:30 PM and went for two hours (around forty minutes more than yesterday).

Total word count: 2030 (NaNo: 2036)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 3:

Work, news, Big Bang Theory. I started writing shortly after 7:30 PM and continued for four hours(!) - all of it part of the same dinner scene that I started yesterday in which one of the MCs exposits about her world.

Total word count: 3381 (NaNo: 3390 but can't validate tonight due to errors)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice!

Btw, you can't validate until like the last week of Nano. The validation is for the whole novel.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Very nice!

Btw, you can't validate until like the last week of Nano. The validation is for the whole novel.

No, I mean under "Edit Novel" and "Check my official word count". After I had pasted the text and hit Validate, nothing happened. When I hit Cancel, my official word count was updated, but, when I tried to hit Save, it said there was an error.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 4:

I had the day off, so, other than watching episodes 9 and 10 of "Gilmore Girls" with mom and also watching the news, I had three separate writing sessions, totaling seven hours and thirty minutes.

Total word count: 5730 (NaNo: 5742)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 5:

Work, dinner, news, Big Bang Theory. I wrote for nearly three hours, the centerpiece being a sex scene between two girls that are AU versions of each other.

Total word count: 7205 (NaNo: 7218)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 6:

I had the day off, but I had to run errands around the county. Then there was dinner, Internet videos, news, and Big Bang Theory. I did manage to get four hours of writing in: mostly more sex and talking but also some plot advancement.

Total word count: 8565 (NaNo: 8581)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 7:

I wrote before and after work for a total of a little over 2.5 hours.

Total word count: 10124 (NaNo: 10141)

Having the day off today, I hope to get caught up. I even plan to make a minute-by-minute chart of word-count goals before I start.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 8:

In between chores, lunch, church, dinner, and Sailor Moon, I had four separate writing sessions, totaling just over five hours. I have managed to get caught up and even write a little bit more on top of that, lowering my daily word-count goal slightly for the rest of the month.

Total word count: 13455 (NaNo: 13473)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 9:

I had a short shift, but mom wanted to watch episode 11 of "Gilmore Girls". Also, there was news and "Once Upon a Time" for me. Finally, I had go to bed earlier than usual due to an early shift on the 10th (which I wouldn't do if I was living on my own; I'd go to bed at my usual time and then show up to work half-asleep).

Anyway, I managed to get a little over half of my now-shortened daily goal done.

Total word count: 14378 (NaNo: 14396)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 10:

Long shift plus plus early bedtime due to another early shift on the 11th meant not much writing got done.

Total word count: 15572 (NaNo: 15590)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 11:

Long shift at work, dinner, news, 2 eps of BBT, and S.H.I.E.L.D.. I wrote during the commercial breaks. A little over five hours of writing - minus all of the shows mentioned. I managed to get very close to my daily quota, but, since I'm behind, that meant finishing up the 10th's quota and only getting started on the 11th's.

Total word count: 17104 (NaNo: 17122)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Huh, it seems I forgot to make an entry for November 12:

Long shift at work. I got just two hours of writing done.

Total word count: 17826 (NaNo: ?)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 13:

I had the day off, but I also had to go out for a bit and do yardwork. I also watched the news and four episodes of Big Bang Theory. All told, I got over 7.5 hours of writing done (though those include working between commercial breaks of the news and three of the four BBT eps). I managed to get caught up and even do a bit more, slightly lowering my daily goal for the rest of the month.

Total word count: 22080 (NaNo: 22104)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 14:

Between watching episode 12 of "Gilmore Girls" with mom and a short, late shift at work, I got over half of my daily goal done, so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Total word count: 22904 (NaNo: 22928)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 15:

Long shift, episode 10 of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal, and episode 13 of Gilmore Girls. After that, I got over 2.5 hours of writing done, finishing up the 14th's goal and getting over a third of the way through the 15th's.

Total word count: 24280 (NaNo: 24305)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 16:

Long shift at work followed by a 2-hour Once Upon a Time event. I got a little over an hour of writing in, but I was also tired, so I simply finished one scene and did a little bit of the next. Very unproductive. Fortunately, I have both the 17th and the 18th off.

Total word count: 24545 (NaNo: 24570)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 17:

I had the day off but also chores, and then a thunderstorm started. I couldn't get entirely caught up, but I made a lot of progress in just under seven hours of writing.

Total word count: 27717 (NaNo: forgot to check before I added today's)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 18:

My second day off from work in a row. I did watch some other stuff (started on Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist and watched various Internet videos and episode 14 of Gilmore Girls), but I mostly tried to write. Not only did I get caught up, but I pulled a bit ahead, lowering my daily goal for the rest of the month.

I took on a lengthy flashback scene this time (after finishing the scene that I'd been on). My MCs don't appear. Instead, it primarily deals with a secondary character, but I wanted to show the backstory of my first MC's world, which occurs at a time after she'd been conceived but before she'd been born.

Total word count: 30870 (NaNo: 30902)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 19:

A long shift at work, and then I was in a Sailor Moon mood after, so I watched some videos and listened to some songs. I didn't get a whole lot of writing done.

Total word count: 31302 (NaNo: 31334)

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 20:

A long shift plus ducking around on the Internet before and after meant I didn't get much writing done.

Total word count: 31851

NaNo will no longer check my word count, since the "I am ready to validate my novel" button has taken its place.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 21:

A medium-length shift at work, but then one of my mom's friends/coworkers came by with her laptop to get me to help her sign into her e-mail (I had to end up resetting her password, because she'd screwed stuff up with her multiple attempts). Then I watched an Internet video, and there was some Indiegogo drama where I contributed to a new book called "The Incredible Untold Story of Sailor Moon" but selected the audiobook perk, thinking I'd also get the print version (which I likely wouldn't), so I quickly contributed again to get the print version before the campaign ended and contacted the owner to cancel the audiobook and refund my donation for that (which I have yet to hear back about). Anyway, I finally got to writing, but I'm still behind. Fortunately, I have at least two more scheduled days off from work this month.

Total word count: 32832

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 22:

A medium-length shift at work and an episode of Big Bang Theory. I got nearly three hours of writing done but didn't meet even one daily goal - to say nothing of catching up.

Total word count: 34065