How to go about finding beta readers?

Helen St. James

Queen of Styrofoam Cups
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just about ready to put my first few novellas up on Amazon.com over the course of the next few weeks, and while I'm happy enough with them, I know many writers use beta readers to keep them in check. I'd like to think I am a decent enough writer, but wouldn't we all? And I would like to make certain what I'm putting out isn't utter mulch.

So... how do I go about finding beta readers? Are there certain forums where I can advertise for such a thing? (Here, maybe?) I know there's a Share Your Work forum, and I'm happy with the critique the one post I've made there received, but I'm looking more for whole-work readers, rather than a few hundred words at a time.

What do you gentlefolk do for beta readers?

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
AW does have a beta section Here where you can ask for a beta reader. The erotica section here also does have its own share your work area, but you need to speak to Maryn, Veinglory etc (AW's Erotica mods) to get the password. If you pm one of them privately, they'll need to make sure you're old enough!

:)

spice.fiction

Altered the default user title
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know. I will need beta readers soon.

RhodaD'Ettore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
goinpostalnj.blogspot.com
I happen to use my mother, who never understands anything and i have to explain everything. This is good, because there are some people out there who need things broken down for them, and if she questioned it, someone else will. The other woman is a co-worker.. she is awesome.

I TRIED on goodreads.. but I am finding that to be very "clique" like... I kid u not, this woman posted a request for a review, I offered to do it if she sent me the file. Then she got nasty with me, "I don't like your genre, so you can't read my work". Ok lady.. screw you. LOL

I havent seen anything like that here.. so this is where i am happy.

you can send me the work at author at rhodadettore.com if you want.
If you want feedback on content, done. If you want proof reading done. If you want a review, I would only post 4 & 5 stars... if I thought it less, I would tell you. Its not right to do that to people who are trying to get started. You are going to improve as you gain experience. Its just life.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoopsie! Rhoda, you'd be wise to remove your email address from the post. Spiders crawl AW (and every other site) harvesting emails for spam and worse.

If you want to make it publicly available without anyone having to send you a private message, replace the @ with [at], with spaces before and after it, or something similar. Then the spiders will not recognize it as an email.

Maryn, public servant

Helen St. James

Queen of Styrofoam Cups
Registered
Reaction score
Rhoda, if you're serious about beta-reading, I'd be happy to send you the story I just published. I don't imagine it's great, but for a first attempt it can't be all bad. *smiles*