A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I thought it was marvelous. Hugely enjoyed the build up and the tension from all around; the actual deed was well played. Kudos, Jack Gleeson!

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
^ hrhr, please, no zombie Joffrey. :D

Scattergorie

You talkin' to me??
Registered
Reaction score
Heh! A resurrection and Easter certainly sounds like something that the show runners would love to play with... but I'm wondering about actors' other projects and filming schedules and the like... But now I'm really getting excited for tonight's episode... It would be EPIC!

Also waiting to see where they go with the Tyrion/Shea storyline.

Scattergorie

You talkin' to me??
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know how it's supposed to end up, and I sincerely hope that Show keeps everything exactly as it should be, but Show Tyrion & Shae aren't Book Tyrion & Shae, and I'm just not convinced that they will act/react in the same way... :Shrug:We will soon know for sure!

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they screwed up Show Robb's Bride vs Book Robb's Bride, so I have very little confidence that they aren't going to screw the Shae thing up. :(

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they screwed up Show Robb's Bride vs Book Robb's Bride, so I have very little confidence that they aren't going to screw the Shae thing up. :(

How did they screw it up? It's almost non-existent in the books. Other than she wasn't there when the Red Wedding happened.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
How did they screw it up? It's almost non-existent in the books. Other than she wasn't there when the Red Wedding happened.
There was >>>an entire Lannister plot behind the whole thing. Tywin set the whole damn marriage-not-to-a-Frey up just to set up the Red Wedding...<<< Substituting young love for treachery is whitewashing the books too much, for me. >>>Though evidently the bride wasn't in on it--her mother was, though. Remember the posset to help her conceive? Moon tea.<<<

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Finally! Finally the TV show improves on the books, >>>with Ser Davos and the Iron Bank... <<<

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Dream, gotcha. I got from the show that the Lannisters were behind it (the "it" you mention), and I'm not sure we ever found out that Robb's wife ....

<<wasn't part of it. There was a lot of speculation as to whether or not she was in the show. I just imagined the Lannisters wanted to tie up all loose ends, but not sure. I know in the books, there were some things left open. I think the only thing I felt they really missed the mark on was having to stab the poor girl in the belly. Holy cow. >>>

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Is it me does the GOT hour pass by quicker this season than last season. I feel like HBO is rushing things...

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Book spoilers about a part of the story that was covered in season 3 of the TV series.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think if anyone is spoiling book events beyond the most recent TV episode, the spoilers need to be flagged as such, here. This is the TV forum, after all. A lot of us haven't read the books, but like to read about/discuss the most recent TV events. Those discussions themselves will have spoilers for those who are not up to date with the most recent episode, and need to be whited out as well. At the moment it's hard to tell whether spoilers are safe to read or not if you have seen the most recent episode. If people labeled their spoilers, it'd be a lot easier.

Thanks for your consideration, everyone!

Scattergorie

You talkin' to me??
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh... Joffrey laid out in the sept with the cartoonish painted stones over his eyes. I watched twice last night and didn't really think about it one way or another. Then I dreamed about it... more than once... and I now realize just how creepy and effective that image was. Thanks Show.

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
^ John Arryn was accessorized the same way in the pilot.

I'm angry. Coincidentally, I was reading through a thread here about the offhand overuse of rape in fantasy, thusly the change of the consent level (compared to the books) in the sept scene didn't bode particularly well for me, especially since it affected one of my favorite characters.

So I'm pretty much agreeing with this article, which also addresses Drogo and Dany:
http://www.avclub.com/article/rape-thrones-203499

Not cool.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
^ John Arryn was accessorized the same way in the pilot.

I'm angry. Coincidentally, I was reading through a thread here about the offhand overuse of rape in fantasy, thusly the change of the consent level (compared to the books) in the sept scene didn't bode particularly well for me, especially since it affected one of my favorite characters.

So I'm pretty much agreeing with this article, which also addresses Drogo and Dany:
http://www.avclub.com/article/rape-thrones-203499

Not cool.

I read that article this morning and I wish they hadn't turned it into a rape scene. As written in the book, there was acknowledgement about their incest being wrong, but their passion getting the both of them made it a good scene. It would have worked well with the tv audience without people like me going all frowny face because they killed Jaime's personal growth for no reason. Then there's the added suspicion that the show's crew probably doesn't consider that rape to be that bad because it was 'just Cersei'.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, serious issues here with the change. I feel like we just got Jaime on the road to some sort of redemption (yeah, he tossed a kid out of a window). And now? The rug's been pulled out from under us all in a really bad way. It was just such an unnecessary change.

Were I the actor who played Jaime, I might be just a wee bit pissed.

In a time where SFF is full of harassment, rape-jokes, women-as-objects (both on the page and off), this is just a slap in the face to me. If they're going to try to redeem him yet again after this, what does that say? "Hey fellas, if you're the kingslayer, you can rape. As long as you feel bad about it afterwards. We still love you, Jaime Lannister."

Bleh. Just bleh.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Yeah, no, that didn't work for me at all. I was one who was rooting for Jamie's arc. I didn't need him to be a knight in shining armor, just struggling and making (mostly) reasonable decisions.

I'm very much on-board with that AV Club article. (Thanks, Jett, for linking it!) I haven't read this far in the books, but even for me, the rape felt gratuitous and...just...why? I felt dirty watching it. I intensely dislike Cersei, but, honestly, I don't think I can overlook it, no matter what they do with Jamie now. For me, he's got the whiff of irredeemable about him. And it just didn't have to go there.

Scattergorie

You talkin' to me??
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certainly not on board with the show runners' decision to turn the Jaime/Circe scene into a rape (I think viewers would have been suitably disgusted and disappointed by the idea of incestuous sex next to the body of their dead son). But hasn't it always been the aim of the series to not allow the viewer to become too comfortable with the status quo?

Change/reversal seems to be the major theme for the season.

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get rape from the septa scene. The show has been consistent enough about showing the reluctance on Cersei's side of their relationship. She seems to always want out then gives in. I am disappointed that they cut some of the imagery from the books but eh would have been ucky.
Cersei is one of my favorite characters in the books and show. Also I love the actress, that head cocking thing is so sexy.
Where are the Kettlebacks, are they in the show and I am missing it?