The Bouncy Castle in Space

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made pockets in the back of a notebook? I want to do that but I can't remember how.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made pockets in the back of a notebook? I want to do that but I can't remember how.

I have some vague image of this from a hundred years ago when I was in school.... describe it some more... maybe that image with solidify. I think we used to do this, but (like all things in my past), I've blocked it out.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for really good middle grade novels?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Shelia, I have a phobia of sharks. Please change your DP?

Also, does anyone have a specific notebook for a project (even if it's on a word processor or similar)?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Finally home from errands and I need to bounce a while. Got some fun swag for the giveaway including gel pens, rope eraser, magnetic bookmarks, etc. Plus I went by the library and got a whole stack of great looking books, including Skellig and book 1 of The Mistmantle Chronicles.

But then I dropped by the local bookstore in search of bookmarks, and while talking to the sales person, I nearly fainted at the lack of knowledge abounding in her head.

She believes all ebook authors are self-published. She does not know who Libba Bray is. After that, I had to leave. But I did pick up a preview booklet and cool tattoo for Libba Bray's newest book, The Diviners. It sounds like a lot of fun and maybe just a bit more fright.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com

It's called Selachophobia, for those interested. Although I'm interested in the theory of it... I was under the understanding that phobias were inexplicable fears of something, like clowns, mud, and flowers, etc.

But sharks? They'll kill you, given half the chance. If anything, they're a perfectly logical thing to be frightened of...unless it's classed as a phobia due to the fact that you're unlikely to be attached by a shark in your home...?

Dave

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score

Okay, I changed it to another scary shark, actually eating my child! Eeek.

(Go Sharks!)

shark.gif

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
That is bearable. Real looking ones are agony.

Guys, I have a question. I may be worrying about nothing, but I would sooner sort it out now rather than worry about it later on.

Is kidnapped fae too much for MG?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is bearable. Real looking ones are agony.

Guys, I have a question. I may be worrying about nothing, but I would sooner sort it out now rather than worry about it later on.

Is kidnapped fae too much for MG?

Like, faries stolen into the real world? There are MG books about that.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, the pirates HATE fairies (not sure which spellings to use, lol!) and kidnap them to kill them, eventually, I think. They're currently on the other end of the secret magical tunnel that is attached to Charlie's house, and he and the other MCs try to rescue them.

OMG this is crazy, and I'm only collecting my thoughts/making a super rough summary before the outline!

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, the pirates HATE fairies (not sure which spellings to use, lol!) and kidnap them to kill them, eventually, I think. They're currently on the other end of the secret magical tunnel that is attached to Charlie's house, and he and the other MCs try to rescue them.

OMG this is crazy, and I'm only collecting my thoughts/making a super rough summary before the outline!

I think this should be fine. What are the stakes for the MC, though? Why is rescuing the fairies important to him?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I do know that they (the three MCs) get captured. Well, I think, it may change during the actual outlining stage.

Also, is three POVs common in MG?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Went back to school today! Only for meetings. I spotted my favorite Naughty Student from afar...getting chewed out by somebody at summer school. Poor summer school staff, can't get her to listen. Poor Naughty Student, can't get anyone to make her behave. I'm actually looking forward to seeing her again.

Classes start in one week! I will doing something new this year, student teaching with the K-1 tiny children. I am learning how to teach the littles to read.

WriteTyme

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Middle Grades writer starting to believe this where I truly belong on this board.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Kitty! You'll have so much fun with the little ones. Except when they're snotty little brats, of course...

I had to carry one out to the playground today. The same one who hid last week, so I didn't dare leave her alone in the class.

So far nobody has kicked me or anyone else, so it's not the roughest beginning-of-the-year ever.

And only one kid still talks back to me. The rest apparently believed me when I said, No, I'm the boss here and you have to do what I say. When I say it. No matter what.

(yeah, I'm a hardass kindergarten teacher.)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome WriteTyme. :hi:

Yay, Kitty! Teach those kiddos to read! :TheWave:

MsJudyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, you're not the boss of me. I'll bounce when I wanna. :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I allow bouncing in my class. As long as you can do it safely and responsibly.