Grandma Susie's House of FUNNERS 'N FLOOZIES (Volume VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
'ey all. Howie didn't win the contest. Someone came in w. 31 votes 'n he only had 25, but sure appreciate your help with it. Anyone who needs a vote (if you voted) I'm here for you. Many thx. Happy week!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning. :)

Happy birthday, MrWrite! :) Wishing you an unwrinkled year! :D

Hey. I invented a zero-calorie chocolate Easter egg!

I did. Briefly. :(

My daughter is on a serious diet, which excludes any form of sugar and good stuff like chocolate, so I thought I'd try and make an Easter egg for her that kept inside the rules of her diet. I bought a couple of slabs of Candarel chocolate - I don't know if you get that brand in the US, but it's artificially sweetened - which I melted and poured into Easter egg molds. The chocolate took ages to set, even in the fridge, but once it had I mixed up some of that calorie-free jelly (Jell-O) and filled the eggs with it. They looked awesome. I wrapped them up in a basket, tied a ribbon on it and gave it to my daughter when she arrived. But oh, when she opened the wrapping there was just a sludgy pile of something quite indescribable sort of glooped in the bottom of the basket.

Turns out that this Candarel chocolate doesn't have quite the same properties as ordinary chocolate - maybe it's the lack of sugar - but it doesn't set properly once it's been melted and doesn't stay set at room temperature even though the no-cal jelly does. What a mess! But my daughter tucked in with a spoon and said it wasn't bad.

Mmm. I don't see a marketing opportunity here.

:roll:

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Mr. Write! :partyguy:
Did everyone hear about that 16 year old boy who supposedly stowed away in the wheel well of a Hawaiian airlines 767 from San Jose to Maui??? How did he survive??

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even more amazing . . . how did a teen survive a long trip without being able to text or call?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Baaaaaaack...

*Did Ya Miss Me Jazz Hands* :D

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Happy Birthday, Mr. Write!

I collect edible disaster stories. Gail, yours is a good one. My favorite such story, though, remains one of the first. My mother, who liked to try new dishes, decided to make a croquembouche for a dinner party. It's a tower of small filled cream puffs covered with a caramel sauce. Well, she made this elegant dessert early, then made the rest of dinner. When the time came to serve dessert, she brought it out to oohs and aahs. Then she tried to delicately lift the caramel covered puffs to put on people's plates. No dice. The caramel was supposed to go on just before serving. The reason? It hardens to sugary rock once it cools. Mom tried hacking it. Didn't work. She eventually peeled the caramel off the puffs to be able to serve them. Tasted just fine. But...

:Cake: and birthday cookies all around.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Status
Not open for further replies.