What do you do for work?

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're all writers, just wondering.

I work at an online school doing enrollment. I have a Masters in Library Science and have been trying to figure out/find a job in that. No kids or spouse.

Niki03

Registered
Reaction score
I work at a police department in records and volunteer as a probation officer. I have a bachelors degree in sociology with a concentration in criminology and maybe someday I'll have a job that uses it. I'm married, no kids. I have an awesome corgi though, named Achilles.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I run a freelance editing business. Also have a self-publishing sideline.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm a data manager for a small medical research program. I handle the databases and design the collection methods. Great group of coworkers doing good things for people. I'm pretty happy with it. :)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Guardian of the Stapler and Maker of Copies at a counseling center whilst getting my BS in Elementary Education.

annaheyerdahl

Awesome Viking Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annaheyerdahl.blogspot.com
I work with special needs children, but I'm taking some time off after losing someone important and special. Hoping to be back to my usual sun-shiny self soon - I miss those kids.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'm a corporate financial analyst for a large international banking firm. I have a BS in mathematics and economics and an MBA. I'm working on my MS in Forensic Accounting and hope to go into fraud and forensic analysis when my degree is done.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I write. Went full time in 2007.

Before that I spent 25 years in IT working for software companies in London, Aberdeen and Edinburgh as firstly as programmer then team leader then project manager, building IT systems for people like Lloyds Bank, NatWest, the NHS, Scottish Hydro Electric and the Scottish Government among many others.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
I am a database geek (FileMaker Pro). Before that I was a social worker. I might even write about the social work experiences. Not so much the FileMaker developer career, I've seen enough eyes glaze over when I dare to talk about my work ;)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'm a renowned chicken and waffles chef.

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
I'm aghast over 100 people looked at this but only 10 replied. Was my title so vague you had click on it to see what the thread was about? :D

France

Registered
Reaction score
I work in a big ol' factory bringing work to people, disposing of waste, organizing the factory floor, and playing mediator between my boss and the workers. That last one isn't in my official job description. I'm the guy that keeps the "trains running on time" or if you want to get a little demeaning I'm the go-to-bitch.

Last edited:

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score
I work in a big ol' factory bringing work to people, disposing of waste, organizing the factory floor, and playing mediator between my boss and the workers. That last one isn't in my official job description. I'm the guy that keeps the "trains running on time" or if you want to get a little demeaning I'm the go-to-bitch.

Don't feel too bad, it's honest work. I'm a Corrections Officer and I'm currently home on sick leave because of stab wounds to the face and head.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I own a B&B, saloon, and art gallery.

I'm aghast over 100 people looked at this but only 10 replied. Was my title so vague you had click on it to see what the thread was about? :D

It's also possible people may not want to share such information.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a general transcriptionist. I work a lot with educational materials, transcribing college lectures and captioning documentaries, that sort of thing. It's pretty enjoyable, actually. I get to learn a lot and sometimes get to listen to people tell interesting stories about their lives. Other than that, I'm in the process of looking for some sort of additional work to bring in more income.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write mystery novels featuring a deaf amateur detective.

I'm retired after six years of teaching high school English and then twenty years as a college writing instructor.

To try to make ends meet (which never do), I'm a freelance editor with twelve published books on my trophy shelf.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It's a great thread. I'm tickled to read all these different jobs people do. As for me I've been trying to come up with a clever way of saying I'm unemployed but I keep damned busy. I thought I might say I am a battery tester but that might have unfortunate consequences.

:D

That's actually really fascinating, and what TJ said below, don't put yourself down even if others out in the world do. A factory job is a fabulous way to gather story material, and to observe human nature and interaction, and I think it's awesome you're also finding yourself "keeping the peace" as it were. (I used to work in a factory, at one time, years ago.)

Don't feel too bad, it's honest work. I'm a Corrections Officer and I'm currently home on sick leave because of stab wounds to the face and head.

Take care of yourself.

Deleted member 42

There's a field in the Profile for occupation that people can fill in if they want.

At least one member has "cat herder" entered as occupation . . .

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Freelance court reporter, meaning I drive to different lawyers' offices and report depositions (pre-trial discovery in civil matters). Most people say: Wow, that must be interesting! Unfortunately, it's mostly boring. A lot of business litigation; companies suing other companies, blah, blah, blah.

O/T: One time, I was inspired to write a short story after meeting a real life cage fighter. I listened to his story and wondered what it would be like being married to someone who fights other people in a cage for a living. :)