Your bicycle?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
It's springtime here. I went to get out a bicycle and clean it up to go for a ride, and I had trouble picking one. Apparently, I have too many. (?) So what type of bike do you have? Where do you usually ride? Maybe if I heard from others, I'd be able to get rid of what I just don't need. =)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Don't have a bike. But if I ever get one, again, I'd like to get one of those dirtbike bikes. Not motorized or anything. Just the thing that isn't a ten speed. Had one when I was a teen. Used to pop wheelies and jump off ramps. Nothing compared to one of my friends. He could get up ten feet in the air ! Fine activity. Enjoy :)

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Blue Schwinn ten-speed. I have a few favorite roads; one down by a river, so I can jump off and walk around the water (sometimes I see turtles), and another between some farms which is fun 'cause of all the oreoles and goldfinches.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Kelly, it sounds like you have a collection of bicycles. You are so lucky. I love bicycles.

I own only one, but I like it a lot. I think it's called a track racing style bike, but I'm not entirely sure. The handlebars are just one straight bar, and the tires are knobby, like what you'd use to ride on dirt, like on mountain bikes. I guess it is a type of mountain bike.

It's actually a pretty practical bicycle for riding around in a residential area, where you have to go back and forth between paved areas (like streets and sidewalks) and unpaved areas (like the neighbors' lawns :) ) A lot of streets are wrecked with potholes and cracks, so the tires help a lot.

I need to dust it off and get back on it. Spring is here!

beck_magruder

Beck
Registered
Reaction score
I have a "hybrid" bike - hybrid between road bike and mountain bike. The tires are thicker than a typical road bike, so you're not as likely to get a flat around town, and there's no suspension, but it's great for cruising on the road and even tackling some improved dirt trails (like a hike and bike trail).

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
About ten years ago, a Web site had a contest for a $1000 mountain bike.

Only contest I've won in like 15 years, unless you count a couple of $2 lottery scratch-off tickets.

Can't remember all the equipment. Custom built. Had those special pedals where you buy biking shoes that sort of snap onto the pedals so you can pull as well as push. I still have those pedals, but they aren't on the bike.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have two on my front porch--one is purple, a 24 inch ten speed and the other is pink, a 26 inch 12 speed. Both are Huffys. I had a Huffy as a kid and like the brand. Not as expensive as some other brands but they hold up well if cared for. Theses are kid bikes. They belong to my grand daughters who stay with me in the summer. They live in big cities and enjoy being able to ride to the library, pool, post office, grocery store because we don't have a single stoplight in this whole town. In fact there are only 6 paved streets.

I don't have a garage or shed so the bikes stay on the porch. Right now the porch is being sanded and painted and the bikes have to be moved daily. In a week or two I will walk each the four blocks to the Co Op, where the mechanic will fill the tires and tune them up. When the girls arrive they will ride them home from the CoOp--first tradition of the summer. Sand roads and lots of rusty nails and sandburs= lots of flats. The flats are changed at the CoOp and the mechanic can't always get to them right away--especially during wheat harvest. so we have a spare bike--a pink and blue buddy bike from younger days. When the bikes were smaller, I was pretty good at changing tires but not with ten speeds.--s6

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. I love hearing a passion for cycling. =)

Kelly, it sounds like you have a collection of bicycles. You are so lucky. I love bicycles.
I didn't start out with a collection. =) My Ex was a bike mechanic/fanatic so every bike in my family got rescued. I don't have pics but I found some online that are really close: Grandma's Monark (now a 7 speed) my Mom's 10 speed, and my Trek Alpha except mine is red.

I like them all, but my Wicked Witch bike (Raleigh 3 speed) ends up the one I ride more than any other., and there's a bunch of bmx bikes - which I can't ride.

We have lots of hills here, pavement and trails, so really super thin tires aren't best, but those huge mt bike tires aren't good either... and I like more than one gear, but too many gets confusing. Given so many to choose from, why is my fav a 50 year old English cruiser? =)

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Here's my cycle.
cycle2_zpsed7d1fb2.jpg

2Q==

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would be bug crazy without my bike. I bought a second-hand Raleigh Mustang in the local village as soon as I got here. The sticker identifies it as originally coming from Canterbury Cycle Mart in Canterbury, England. Some charity likely took it as a donation. Your charity clothes, bikes, and books do make it to Africa, but they aren't given out for free. Such donations are packaged and sold in bulk to middle men, who then sell them to local second-hard retailers. If you know your bikes, you can get a $1000 bike for a hundred bucks.

This one wasn't quite that good a deal, but I must have ridden this thing for 1000 miles on the dirt roads in the bush here over the last couple years and so far only one puncture! Thank you poor climate for acacia; I'd be toast in Tanzania.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really a bike, so I'm sort of derailing :D here. Deafness has shot my balance all to heck, so I'm hinting for a Schwinn 26-inch adult trike for my 73rd birthday in June.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Trek 7000 dirt bike I got cheap at a yard sale 15 years ago - it had no seat, so a new seat and new tires got it working. It's deteriorated since then, the shifters are broke and won't shift and I haven't ridden it for years. I need to get it to the shop and have them fix it up, mostly because I don't know exactly how/where to get the parts for it. I have a newish steel-frame (weights about twice the Trek) no-name dirt bike that has flat tires that I never got fixed, so I've never ridden it. I really need to get one of these going.

I had a Schwinn forget-the-model-name 12-speed chrome-moly frame road bike that I added aero-bars and did triathlons on in the 90s. Been meaning to get back to doing that, maybe run a marathon as well. I ran a half marathon in 1996.

In the kitchen (it was in the unheated laundry room but it got cold during winter) is an old Lifecycle just like the gyms had decades ago, I try to spend 30 minutes (or a little more) on it a day, reading a book. I haven't been doing it every day, but I do it most days. But I've been wanting to get back to riding on the road and stuff where It's Dangerous so I'll feel like I'm Really Living Life. Hmm, maybe I shudda signed up for that healthcare.gov thing.

mjlpsu

unidentifiable food tester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boozefoodtravel.com
I miss my Dahon Eco 6, but it's sitting in my parents' garage as I travel. I get a lot of rentals. Right now I'm enjoying the public YouBikes around Taipei--free for the first 30 minutes and really cheap after that (rode for about 3 hours for $1.30 on Sunday). I rented a $5 bike in Siem Reap for a 40-mile ride around Angkor Wat--it was alright, but a little heavy for such a long ride.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
f686d264-0119-4510-a0fb-6a3efea3c298_zpsb88ca943.jpg

This is my bike. It's sort of a hybrid, and it folds in half for easier storage. The seat and handlebars are also adjustable to fit just about anybody. I ride on various rail trails around the area.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I have a real fondness for those folding bikes! Oh my. If I could only afford a Dahon with a Nexus hub! =) I just adore those!

mjlpsu

unidentifiable food tester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boozefoodtravel.com
KellyAssauer, the Dahons are great. Had mine for almost 3 years before I moved. I will definitely continue riding it if/when I move back to the states. I used to take it out for 10+ mile rides as well as commuting.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I have two, although I'm looking to sell one.

Up until a couple of years ago when I finally took my driving test and got a car, cycling was my primary form of transport, so I had a nice, comfortable Specialized (no, I've not gone all American, that's the brand name :tongue ) hybrid. A bit like this. Panniers to carry my shopping home and everything.
Now I have the car, I bought a 'cross' bike. Basically, it's a road bike - with the drop handlebars, clippy pedals and all - but a bit tougher, so it can handle a little bit of not-too-extreme off road - canal tow paths and the like.
Now the nice weather seems to be returning, I should start getting out on it again and get rid of some of this excess baggage I'm carrying around...

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
It was nice out, and now it's cold again. Gah!

Since our house was known as the place to get bikes fixed, people still drop off donation bikes. I found a Puch Picnic folder like this one in my driveway. It needs some work, but I think I have to keep it because it's too cute!

The other reason I like the folder is because of my Dad's bike. Family tradtion dictates that when you turn ten, you get to pick out your new bike and my Dad picked out this one when he was ten. I still have it and it runs and works, but every time I get it out, someone asks me if it's for sale. So, it makes me nervous riding it around. =)

Jimmy, I hope someday to ride the canal paths in DC. I've been on them and didn't have a bike with me. =(

tarot

super fancy
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 1976 Schwinn Varsity road bike. It's a bicentennial edition, so it's white with red and blue accents. I didn't really want such a patriotic bike, but I've grown fond of it. It is my first and only road bike. It's incredibly heavy and I'm sure a modern bike would be easier to ride, but I'm stubborn.

I live in a rural area, so I ride on the roads. I wish there were some bike paths near me, though, just for some variety.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 91 Trek 930 mountain bike, modified beyond description. Upgraded most every component on it; got rid of the index shifting, decent saddle, pedals, etc.
it's just an old rigid lug frame chromoly steel job but it keeps on rolling.
I've nearly worn out my favorite tires...the old Specialized RockCombo and they are apparently no longer made. Trying to find a similar replacement has been challenging. The tires have a wide slick center section with knobs on the sides. Best tires I ever had.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Its a cheapo Sears Freespirit mountain-style bike that the gears never worked properly on and the front brake always rubbed the rim and I could never get it to stop. Now its hanging in the garage with rusting handlebars and who knows what else. I mainly stopped riding it because my hands would go numb.

As a kid I used to ride for miles and miles. As an adult, I don't see the point any longer. I have a car that doesn't hurt my butt or arms.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
My road bike has a Welter frame and Campagnolo parts, such as the derailleur (the part you pedal with); the front wheel is original and the back is a newer Mavic . The tire itself is triathlon/racing style, but I pop tubes on it constantly so I want to replace it with a cross sport or "urban" style tire (tougher, better traction but not as much speed which is fine). Yes, I keep the inside clean!
My trail bike is an el cheapo Firmstrong. At this point everything is stock, but at some point if I start using it hard again I'll see what needs upgrading.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I spent the weekend trying to clean out the garage. Found a pile of junky looking bike parts leftover when the Ex lived here. I put the stuff up on a local classifieds...

Yikes. I might have blown it.

Some kid called with a zillion questions, as I tried to answer him between the pile and looking things up on the interwebz... ends those nasty looking bike bits... are all Old School Bmx from the late 70's and early 80's. If he shows up, he's going to get one heck of a deal.