Status
Not open for further replies.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Yeah, I'm not going into specifics either. I'm not aware either way of whether or not About.com frowns upon divulging details about their Guide payment system, but since it is not spelled out in more detail on the website, I won't go into more detail.

Suffice to say that you'll get what you put into it and, if you are good with SEO and have a site that lends itself (at least somewhat) to evergreen material, you should do well. But as with any site, it could take a while to build up.

esp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I went into prep about 2 weeks ago and after reading this thread (all 135 pages!) was panicking to get a massive amount of content written during stage 1 (which required me to write 5-6 articles and 3 blog posts on supplied topics and submit as Word docs). I'm also going on vacation soon so I've been working around the clock on writing as much as possible due to the stories on this board.

The stage 2 acceptance email, though, says that I can write more if I want, but not writing any more will not affect at all their hiring decision. I don't know if I can relax or not; I have all the pieces posted in the About system per the stage 2 email, but there are a lot of topics for my guidesite I haven't covered yet.

Does anyone have any info/experience with this new version of prep? It's strange how the thread has quieted down (about the time the new version of prep started?).

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Hi esp,

I went through old and new prep, and I thought new prep was less stressful since they stressed that you don't have to write a ton of content. What they seem to be more concerned with is that you have the voice they're looking for and that your style is good for the Web. They want typo-free content since you post live to the site, so IMO, quality is what you should focus on.

I wrote more than the minimum requirements, mainly because I'd posted all of my content to the prep site by the second day of the second phase and I had a lot of time on my hands. But I don't think I went overboard. I did make a point to have one piece of content OR link to relevant content in each category, though -- I had 12 categories. I also heard that some Guides did the minimum and got the gig so obviously, they had what About is looking for.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

esp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply! I had plans to write something to cover all the "topics this site should cover" application description, and I have some written, but just don't know if I'll have a chance to add them all since I'll be traveling. Good to know that it's possible to make it with the minimum, though I am concerned that I've gotten comments back about commas inside of quotes or things like that (only a couple of corrections, though).

Funny thing is that I was a Guide ten years ago for another topic (and didn't find prep then stressful at all for some reason); I like the one I'm prepping for now much better, though, and think it's something I can write about indefinitely.

Anyway, thanks again for the response!

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
I did old style prep and just barely did over the minimum (a good part due to the fact that I was feeling rather sick that weekend before final review and managed to eke out one of the requireds and a little bit more only). So in theory you should be just fine.

Ditto on the typos. It is of course best to have it absolutely typo-free, but before one of my check-ins I managed not to turn off my subscript in a blog post, which caused the whole rest of the page to be tiny. I had other minor corrections here and there too.

So do your very very best, of course, but sounds like you're doing what you can.

esp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, princessvessna! I had the same open tag issue causing the remaining blog posts to be tiny. I guess by now About must be used to seeing stuff like that ;)

And I definitely have to check your guidesite out soon. Preparing for spring and hoping my Japanese maple does better this year.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Well I applied to a spot that is still on the list on 1-16. So its been over 8 weeks now and when I click to get the status of my ap I get "We have not had a chance to review your application. We review applications and work with potential candidates in small groups, so it may take up to eight weeks before we're able to review your submission."

Is there any way to email a person at About to check up and see whats up with it? I'm really really getting angsty to see if I'm going to get into Prep or not...

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
There isn't anything anyone at About.com is going to say to you besides that prep hasn't started for that topic and they are still reviewing applications. They need 3-5 solid candidates before they go into prep.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks herdon. I guess I will just keep waiting.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
More Guides Wanted

Hi Guys,

About is looking for more guides for more topics, so I thought I'd share this with you...

Currently, About is looking for a Guide for the Wholesalers site. The ideal
candidate will understand the plight of the small business owner/kiosk sales
person as well as the manager/executive of a wholesale business - from
sourcing to merchandising and display - and can write about these issues
with authority.

Also, About is launching a new B2B channel: Industry & Trade. They will be launching 30
new B2B sites this year. So keep your eye on the new topics in Be A Guide Section.

http://beaguide.about.com/gdapplynow.htm

SweetSolitude

Enjoying the peace and quiet
Registered
Reaction score
I applied a few months ago for a topic that's been open for a very long time. My application hasn't even been looked at yet, so I guess they are waiting for more people. Now I am considering applying for one of the contributing writer topics.

I tend to wonder about the topics that seem to be forever open. Wouldn't it be more profitable to the company to have someone writing for those topics instead of just leaving them dormant and gathering dust? For example, the topic I applied for has the potential to be extremely popular given how health-conscious so many people are these days. I just don't understand why it's never been filled.

Last edited:

IconReline

Chicken running headless
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

I recently was accepted as a "Contributing Writer" for About.com and am a little overwhelmed. I was wondering if anyone else here had any guidance or tips? How frequently should I be submitting articles, and should I do just the bare minimum, or do most do more?

My topic is a little "dry" but I was glad to be accepted and really like all the editors so far. I'm just really nervous about the "trial" period and am having trouble getting started.

Apologies if I'm not posting this in the right place, but I did a search and this seemed most relevant. Thank you!

SweetSolitude

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

I recently was accepted as a "Contributing Writer" for About.com and am a little overwhelmed. I was wondering if anyone else here had any guidance or tips? How frequently should I be submitting articles, and should I do just the bare minimum, or do most do more?

According to the website, contributing writers are expected to submit 12 pieces of content per month. Personally, I would break that down to about 3 articles per week to keep my workload evenly spaced.

Congrats on being accepted! :)

IconReline

Chicken running headless
Registered
Reaction score

And I like that they sort of take a "hands-off" approach to management, but this contributing writer program is so new, I think even my guide is sort of at a loss on how to explain it. I'm slowly getting the hang of the SEO thing, ie how crosslinking/etc leads to more pay, which is a bit of a mind-bender coming from an MLA-style background.

Dividing it up per week is a good idea. This is my first month so I'm behind, mostly because before even writing they wanted me to create an outline of all the article ideas I would have for the first two months.

Just worried if I only post "12" per month that it won't hold water during the 3-month evaluation period. (I feel like I'm constantly in some sort of evaluation period!) Of course, I'm probably just being neurotic as per usual.

IconReline

Chicken running headless
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Sweet Solitude - I didn't hear back on my samples/app for about 6 weeks, and I know the topic had been open for awhile. I think it just takes them time to thoroughly review everything. All in all, the whole process from application to actually going "live" took about three to three and a half months.

SweetSolitude

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's been three months for me and my application hasn't been reviewed yet. I imagine it's been shuffled off to the side until they get more apps for that particular topic.

joolsstone

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joolsstone.wordpress.com
Hi all.

My topic is a little "dry" but I was glad to be accepted and really like all the editors so far. I'm just really nervous about the "trial" period and am having trouble getting started.

Apologies if I'm not posting this in the right place, but I did a search and this seemed most relevant. Thank you!

Hey, well done! What's your exp been so far, is the learning curve manageable, requests reasonable etc?

Thanks
Jools

IconReline

Chicken running headless
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone I've interacted with has been very professional. The guide to my section has been helpful, pleasant, etc.

That being said, it's a relatively "new" position, I think (within past 6 to 9 months?), and the direction has been extremely hands off. I do well with macro-management vs micro, but honestly, even I sometimes feel I could use more direction. The important thing is to be proactive and ask if you have a question. The actual writing is as described. I've been slammed at work this month so am desperately pulling together my last 4 articles tonight/tomorrow. :> Next month, I have a schedule set up to be more organized.

What I've really appreciated is the level of professionalism combined with an informal willingness to help. My advice is to listen to whatever the editors tell you during prep, incorporate suggestions, and just do the best you can. Honestly, so much of this type of stuff comes down to luck.

I'd be interested to know what other contributing writers' experiences are, too.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've searched this thread (but not read every post) for an answer to my question and couldn't find one, so here it is - what happens to your site/articles if you get fired or quit? I know the writer retains the copyright, but about.com has permission to use the work. So if you quit does someone else then take over your site and receive all the rev share from your work?

Thanks!

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
You receive a partial share paid in quarterly installments if they elect to continue using your content. This is a much smaller portion than you'd get if you were 'live' because About.com's revenue model is based both on overall page views and growth, and you'd only get a part of the overall.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, herdon! That answers my question and makes my decision. I was thinking about applying for a guide position, but within two years or so, I will likely be too busy to do it any longer. Think I'll just build up my own website and write some more articles for DS upfront pay. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.