Previously Published in a Query?

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
realmoffear.wordpress.com
I'm not sure if this should be here, but I didn't know where else to ask the question.

All the query "guidelines" I've seen say that near the end, you should list any previous book credits that you might have. I've published a lot of poetry, which I suppose I should mention (?) but what concerns me is that I have published a book, but it's beyond horrible. I wrote it when I was 13 and it was published by PublishAmerica (yes, I am now aware of their... reputation) but nevertheless it was published and I did sell a few copies. They were littered with mistakes, the writing was so... ick. The plot was good, though, if I may say so myself. There were no plot holes or anything majorly wrong with that portion of it.

My question is should I mention it in a query? And along the same lines, should I mention the published poetry as well? If it makes a difference, the book I will be querying is a paranormal thriller.

The upside is that the book was published in my maiden name, so they wouldn't be able to attribute it to me even if they saw it. And I certainly don't want them to know that I was stupid enough to go to PublishAmerica in the first place.

<sigh> Thanks for any help you can dish out.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
If you're submitting a query for fiction, I wouldn't note any publication credits for anything other than 1) prose fiction which 2) you were actually paid for. Don't mention your Publish America book. If they're asking for "previous book credits," they mean something like "My novel Warbots Keep Killing Dudes was released by Baen in 2007."

If your poetry was published somewhere remarkably prestigious, it might be worth mentioning. Otherwise, it's not likely to be relevant.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
PubliSHAMerica is a vanity publisher, no matter what they say, and a vanity book isn't a publishing credit. So, as Fade said, don't mention it as such.

OTOH, also don't feel bad about having been suckered in by PA. No one in the publishing industry will look down on you for having fallen for their schtick, as long as you don't include your PA book as, yanno, a publishing credit. Many folks have risen from their PA experience and got good commercial deals.

Good luck!

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto, and you were only 13! Publish America dupes many an adult, so don't flog yourself...unless you're into that. ;)

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
realmoffear.wordpress.com
Thanks for the help everyone! This was giving me a lot of anxiety, and I'm nowhere near the query stage yet.

taylormillgirl -- Thanks! Haha! In that case, I'll be offline for the next few minutes. :evil

Susan -- Thanks! I've always known it was what I was going to do. Now it's about time I get off my ass and do it! :)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
done is done....but a weak pubbing credit isn't a credit. If you were a frat-boy who wanted to brag you would not mention banging a friend's overweight and blind grandma......as awful as the analogy is, it holds.