Bios and resumes for new writers

danrupe

Think think think...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a noob I don't really have a bio or resume as it pertains to my qualifications as a writer. How do I address agent submission guidelines which request information about me? Do I submit my stellar resume as an auto detailer or do I just omit the bio all together?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
imo, omit. Unless you're submitting a non-fiction book about automobiles. And if you publish short work or poetry in three or four obscure journals, also omit, imo.

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
'I'm a freelance writer based out of Northwestern Ontario.' <--'Twas my standby before I got a few short stories pubbed to add to my bio. Which I only wrote to beef try and beef up my bio, by the way.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I never write a bio in queries because I don't have any relevant writing credentials. I queried one agent recently who's big into bios, and when I didn't include one, with his email requesting the full manuscript he just asked me questions like "Who are your favourite authors? Do you see yourself writing more books of this genre or trying others?"

My point is that not having a bio isn't going to stop an agent from requesting if they like the query. So don't worry too much about it.

danrupe

Think think think...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My bad... I didn't think of checking the "freelance" forum. Hummm... a "freelance writer"? That might work... I'll use it in a pinch! :D

Thanks all!