Short Story, then Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Question. Sorry if this had already been asked.

If you publish a short story, can you use it as a basis for a novel or even publish it as the first chapter of your novel? Or does it depend on who publishes it for you?

Thanks.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, you can do what you want with your own works. F Paul Wilson wrote a short about vampires taking over the world (can't remember the name), later, he expanded it into a novel called Midnight Mass. That is the only story I can remember, but I'm sure there are others..............Good Luck

slingerland

Absolute newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Larry Niven's novel "A World Out of Time" originally began as the short story "Rammer." Then the short became the beginning of the novel.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. But I'm also wondering if you lose any rights when you publish a short story.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. But I'm also wondering if you lose any rights when you publish a short story.

It depends on where you're submitting to. At the very least they'll ask for first publishing rights, from what I imagine.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Question. Sorry if this had already been asked.

If you publish a short story, can you use it as a basis for a novel or even publish it as the first chapter of your novel? Or does it depend on who publishes it for you?

Thanks.

It depends on the contract. Read it carefully before signing. Watch out for terms like you're selling "all rights" or "copyright."

If you're planning to use the short story as a part of your novel (i.e. first chapter), you're probably going to have to wait until the exclusive period has passed for the short story. So if the publisher has an exclusive on your short story for one year, you cannot publish a novel with that same short story in it until that year is up.

Do you mean self-publish? First rights, for one. Also, exclusive rights to any other publisher as long as the story is avaliable.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As noted above, it depends on what rights you have sold to the short story publisher. All rights, copyright, derivative rights -- that means you can't use the world/characters in other works. Print, audio, electronic rights to the story only -- you're good to go with a novel.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
As everyone said, it depends on your contract. That said, all the markets where I've sold short stories simply asked for a period of exclusivity. They never asked for all rights, copyright, or derivative rights. In fact, asking for such things would be cause for alarm about the market.

Signed,
Someone who sold a novel based on three previously published short stories

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! Calmed my worries for sure.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
If the contract includes "no reprint" rights I imagine you would need to change it significantly in order to include it in a novel, but I'm not 100% sure as to what that would entail.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
If the contract includes "no reprint" rights I imagine you would need to change it significantly in order to include it in a novel, but I'm not 100% sure as to what that would entail.

There should be a time limit attached to the "no reprint." I haven't had anyone ask for an indefinite exclusive, but if a publisher did, I would expect to be paid a significant amount for those rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.