Contacting Agents

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I may be placing the cart firmly before the horse here, but I have an agent who has read my latest manuscript and asked to schedule a phone call. I know it may not end with an offer, but if it does, I'm not really sure how to handle the queries I still have floating around queryland. I know I should contact the agents who have partials and fulls, inform them of the offer (if it comes), and give them a chance to read, but should I also contact those I've queried but have not yet responded?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you should ask for a week or so to decide. Email the other agents with your material (and your Q, if you're really interested in a particular agent who has it), telling them you have an offer of representation and need to hear from them by such and such a date.

OTOH, if you absolutely love this agent, and you feel after the phone call that you're a good fit, you may opt to simply tell the other agents that you've accepted representation. Either way, let them know so that they're not wasting their time.

ETA: And congratulations!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Any query that you've sent that isn't a definite no is a possible yes. Send them an update if you get an offer with "I Have an Offer of Representation" as the header. Several agents have said that they appreciate the heads-up, even on a query, because it gives them a chance to decide if they want to read more, or at the very least doesn't leave them in the position of getting to your query three weeks after you've accepted representation elsewhere, loving the concept and then finding out they've wasted their time and hope on your query.

It's good manners, and might result in another offer.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll take your advice and nudge my outstanding queries as well as my fulls and partials. It won't hurt, right?

Wish me luck!

dmickey

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the question! I was curious about this too. Good luck with finding an agent.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the phone call. I had a phone call with an agent - it didn't end up with an offer but it was a revise & resubmit offer. Its possible this could also be it. Just remember to relax and be yourself! :D

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you again, everyone. Just to follow up, if anyone was curious, the phone call ended with an offer, so... woo! I ended up contacting the agents who had requested pages as well as those I had just queried. I'm still waiting to hear back from two, but I like the offering agent so much, I'm pretty sure I'm going with her. She's pretty great!

Maxie16

Registered
Reaction score
Great to hear, Beth. I skipped a few days on the forum and read through this whole thread at once, identifying with you and hoping it would work out. Best of luck.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Agent hunting has been a long and exciting journey and I can't wait to enter the next phase... revisions.

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Great news! Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I'm curious to find out how long it takes for your agent to sell your book. I signed with an agent in late February and mine has not sold yet....