How Successful Are R & R's?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first time doing an R & R for an agent. The other two former agents I had in the past liked it as is (other novels.) This is a brand new one of mine.

Basically she said she "really loved" MOST of my manuscript, but that there were some major issues. The main one was that the ending, although she thought the killer reveal was a nice twist, she was disappointed in other things dealing with the book and that the ending felt rushed. Anyway, she urged me to revise and resubmit to her. We talked it over (ideas of how to better the ms) and she said they were all good ones and that she can't wait to get it back when I'm done.

So far I enhanced it with over 7K words and I have about 80% of it done and will probably have it finished and send it to her by next week. But here's the thing. I am really doubting myself. What if she doesn't like it? Would she ask me to revise yet again or pass?

So my question is how successful are R and R's? Have any of you gone through this with much luck?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends. It's possible that you still aren't quite up to what she's looking for and she passes, or she could ask you to do another. She could think it needs more work but sign you anyway (my agent did). She might love the revisions and sign you immediately.

Basically, it means you're close, but it's still not a guarantee. Do your best and hope for the best, and know that you've done well to get this far, and then try to find a way to occupy yourself so you aren't checking your email every five minutes for the next month. :)

ETA: For what it's worth, I was sure my agent was going to reject me. Absolutely positive. I'd been so confident at first, and then I didn't hear back immediately and was so convinced that it was a "no" that I wasn't even upset when I opened the email. I had to read it twice when I saw "I'd like to set up a time to call" because I honestly couldn't believe it said that.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, right? I thought of all those things. Basically that's what it boils down to. I was just enchanted by her great enthusiasum and encouragement to revise. I was also impressed that she was the fastest one to get back to me and very responsive when I asked her questions AND she's from a top agency. PLUS she's a new agent and young and building her list. The list can go on and on. This is my third go around (or would be at least) and she is all the things on my check list that I would want. I just don't want to blow it. I've never been so worried about this agent thing before, and this is my third damn time, (I know I said that already.) But still...

I'm eager to give it back to her, but I want to take my time in making it just what she wants it to be.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'd also say make it what you think it should be. That might sound odd, but make sure you agree with the changes and that you feel like it's a better book for them. If you have nagging doubts or aren't sure about something, it might mean that it needs more work or that it's not in line with what you had in mind when you started the book.

My agent actually suggested several things when he had me do an R&R, and while I agreed with two or three, one of the big ones I really disagreed with. I went ahead and made the other changes and wrote back, saying, "I know that you also had hoped I would do this, but I can't because a, b, c."

I was pretty sure that it was a guarantee he would say no, but it would have changed one of the main elements of the story and the meaning of the insight the character gains at the end of the book would have been lost. He wrote me back and said that he preferred an author who was willing to thoughtfully discuss the matter and who wouldn't change things they didn't believe in just because he didn't like them to someone who did everything he said without question.

It's easy to say "I want this agent so bad" and just make the changes, but any changes we make should be because we recognize the value it would bring to the novel, and when we're finished with them we should feel that they have made a positive difference. And then in the end, even if she does say no, you have a better manuscript to send out to the next batch. :)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I signed with my agent after doing an R&R. She pointed out some problems and left it up to me to determine how to fix them. She said she was very close to offering rep, but wanted to see how I'd handle revisions. I spent a few months mulling it over and getting some distance from the MS before revising. When I resubmitted, she said the revisions were perfect and offered rep. :D

I'm sure it varies from agent to agent and MS to MS, but an R&R means you're pretty damn close. Just make sure you truly understand the problems and are fixing them, not just rushing and correcting surface rather than structural flaws.

Good luck!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's understandable...I wouldn't change something that I didn't think was right. I actually had another R&R for the same ms. and that agent wanted me to simplify it because she thought it was too complicated. She said she'd be happy to take another look if I choose to revise. I told her I would think it over...but it just felt so wrong to me to do that to the book.

This new one came along and she gave me very detailed comments on how to fix it. When I read her crit on it about the ending, I knew in my heart she was absolutely right. I had a feeling it was going to come down to that when my mom told me the same thing. But it was after I sent some fulls out. So her comments are spot on.

And I haven't seen the ms. in months so it was easy to look at it with fresh eyes. But you guys are right though. Everything I am thinking, you guys are saying. Thanks for backing me up.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I had an R&R with an agent that lasted quite a few months. Here's what I learned from the experience that I would tell anyone in the same position:

1) Take your time. The agent wants to see a re-envisioning, not a quick rush job of checking off all the items on the fix-it list. They should never fault you for taking the time to make it right. I took about six months on my revision.

2) Make sure you agree with the changes, as kaitie so eloquently said. Don't do it just to please the agent. Make the changes because you honestly believe they'll make a better book. Mine certainly did.

3) An R&R, while obviously an awesome step, does not always equal representation. Mine didn't. The agent had no problems with the book itself (she said I rocked the revision) but she just wasn't confident that she could sell the book after all. She didn't want to take on any clients for whom she wasn't absolutely certain she could do her job -- i.e., sell their books. Can you blame her? Not really. Actually, it's been a blessing in disguise. I'm querying a new novel and my name popping up in her query inbox, when she's at a new agency with new opportunities and more room to grow... well, that could turn out well for me.

So even if the agent doesn't end up offering you rep, you're still building a contact in the industry, one that could prove to be very valuable in the future.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first time doing an R & R for an agent.
Rest and Relaxation???

I've been here a while, even read this subforum every once in a while, but didn't recognize this term. It's not in our super-duper AW dictionary that has everything else:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1898706&postcount=43

Revise and rewrite? I figured that out from context. Wait, I reread the OP and I found it (bold mine):
Anyway, she urged me to revise and resubmit to her.
Okay ... back to your regularly scheduled thread...

ex_machina

Enjoy the show.
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Awesome question.

I had one previous R&R that didn't work out. For another book I had an R&R that failed as well. But that R&R helped shape the book. When I queried widely, it got me my current agent.

So, the moral is that even if R&R doesn't get you an offer of rep, it possibly helps fix the book so that another agent REALLY likes it.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you Becca. Sounds like you're taking it well though, so that's good. I'm just wondering why would an agent do that to someone if they knew they wouldn't be able to sell it? Wouldn't the agent have thought of that in the beginning?

Ex Machina, why didn't yours work out?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had an R&R that didn't work out. Two agents liked the story but wanted similar revisions. They said to R&R. Once I had them done and resubbed both rejected upon receiving, saying the story premise didn't interest them.

Given how fast the rejections came back they didn't even look at the revisions. Ah well.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I had an R&R that didn't work out. Two agents liked the story but wanted similar revisions. They said to R&R. Once I had them done and resubbed both rejected upon receiving, saying the story premise didn't interest them.

Given how fast the rejections came back they didn't even look at the revisions. Ah well.

See, this boggles my mind, why would they even ask for an R&R if the story didn't interest them? I mean, what changed from asking for a revision to not liking it? And that scares me that you think they didn't even read it.

You know, I have 6 other requests out and haven't even heard back, and it's going on two months now. I know that's not that long, but still. I've noticed the ones that are interested, respond quickly. While the others don't even give you the time of day.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
They work much, much better when coming from an editor. With an agent, trust your instincts and make no change you believe would harm the story.

ex_machina

Enjoy the show.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you Becca. Sounds like you're taking it well though, so that's good. I'm just wondering why would an agent do that to someone if they knew they wouldn't be able to sell it? Wouldn't the agent have thought of that in the beginning?

Ex Machina, why didn't yours work out?

It's hard to say why an R&R doesn't work out. The agent tells you specifics but a lot of times they don't tell you what they really want to see happen to the mani. As a test, of sorts.

Both times, my R&R failed because the agent just wanted to see 'more', or didn't connect with voice, or didn't think it was at the place it needed to be.

But after R&Ring and getting rejected my second time, the R&R'd manuscript went on to have a 28% request rate and five offers of rep. I'm like the poster girl for R&R's now, can't stop encouraging people to do them.

Don't ever give up if you get an R&R rejection. I know it hurts, but you really, REALLY can turn it into something even better. I promise.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I also have this question. I got an R&R from an agent, who told me my book wasn't quite there yet, but she really saw potential. We had a phone conversation, she sent me a client's book and told me if I ever wanted to stop by the agency itself and talk, I could. I know it is not a definite offer but I feel like with that enthusiasm and nudging, it's at least a positive start...

I know R&Rs are 50/50 but has anyone ever gotten a reason on why the agent didn't take your ms(to rep)? EX: "not what they had in mind", etc? Just curious :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I just dug up the final rejection email on my R&R and the agent said this as to why she was finally passing: "There are so many things to love about this story but I can only think of a few editors who could really, really dig it, and that's a failure of imagination on my part, and not what you want in a representative. I think you are a really, really strong writer with a great head for story and character, but I'm just afraid that I don't see the big commercial potential."

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Becca! (What an encouraging rejection) :D Here's to hoping you get agented with ABT!

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
I've never received an R&R but I always think it's to be taken as a great thing. Even if an agent doesn't ultimately end up offering representation, getting editorial comments from professionals is pretty amazing. Obviously, as you know and others have said, you shouldn't make any changes that you don't agree with and feel make your manuscript stronger, but I'm sure you can feel your manuscript getting stronger with the changes you do choose to make, which would definitely go a long way in the future. Plus, as Becca said, it can be great for querying this agent in the future. Agents do not do these often so it's extremely likely you'll be remembered!

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
R&Rs are a wonderful opportunity, but I'm going echo what others have said about only doing the revision if it is truly a direction that you see benefitting the MS. To do a revision is to truly "re-vision" the MS. When I was querying, I had an R&R from an agent many writers would be falling over to get. And while I spent the time doing the revisions, I wound up being so unhappy with the revisions she wanted that I pulled the MS from consideration. The changes that were requested were so against the grain of what I loved about the MS. I ended up rewriting the book back to the original story and kept none of that R&R before I gave it to my current agent (who I signed with on a different MS) for consideration.

That said, a very good writer friend recently worked with an agent for over a year on multiple R&Rs for one MS. And while the last one still wasn't quite where it needed to be, the agent signed her. She's very happy even though it took a long time to get that offer because she knows that the agent truly gets her book and matches her own meticulousness in writing.

It is very rare to get an R&R, and it is also a situation that I have found is perfectly okay to request a phone call if you want to talk more in depth with the requesting agent. My friend that did the R&R with the ending offer had requested several phone calls over the course of revising the MS, and the agent was happy to oblige because ultimately the agent wants the revision to be as successful as you do.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, this boggles my mind, why would they even ask for an R&R if the story didn't interest them? I mean, what changed from asking for a revision to not liking it? And that scares me that you think they didn't even read it.

You know, I have 6 other requests out and haven't even heard back, and it's going on two months now. I know that's not that long, but still. I've noticed the ones that are interested, respond quickly. While the others don't even give you the time of day.

I never understood it, but perhaps I took too long and they lost interest.:e2shrug:

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I had an R&R for a publisher that worked out--I got the deal and an agent from the revised MS.

I had a list of suggested changes, but it was far from the only thing I did. I took a long, hard look at the MS, and one of my beta readers (the lovely Anne Lyle, who posts on AW), gave me another suggestion that REALLY helped shape the MS.

I did everything my editor asked, but I also went above and beyond--changing stuff that I realised wasn't working for me. One character was just not that sympathetic, for instance, so I rewrote all of the scenes with her in it. Some of the suggestions were also rather open-ended. For instance--"more magic." I had a lot of fun with that one.

But as others have said, even if the R&R doesn't work out, if you agree with the changes then you'll most likely have a stronger book at the end of it that might find a home somewhere else.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
I got my agent through an R&R - it was my first one, and I remember fighting between wanting to make all the recommended changes automatically, and wanting to specifically resist some so she'd think 'Wow, what a strong and artistic character! I must have him.'

Obviously, both extremes are silly, and all it took was some time to cool myself before I worked out which changes would be good and which I'd just gloss over. I actually sent the changed ms, with the agent's notes, to a few friends, asking them if they thought the changes had been made or if the same problems could be said to exist. That was helpful.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I had an R & R this year. The agent specifically felt I got into the story too quickly and asked me to add a chapter or two at the beginning. I created a new chapter one that went seamlessly into the rest (minor changes were needed beyond but nothing big). She rejected because she was failing at selling a book with a similar theme but felt my addition improved the story. I agree that it did.

Make sure you save the original so you can remove any changes that don't fly for you.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good idea Araenvo. I'm actually doing the same thing with my mom. She read the original and said the ending felt rushed too, so I trust her opinions on my work wholeheartedly and since she read the first one, she should be able to tell the difference. I told her what to look for and to tell me if I addressed the issues and if it's better and so forth. Once she's done I'm going to fix anything that needs to be fixed and then send it.

And Debbie, you're right about that in keeping the original. I made a seperate file just for this agent. I'll let you guys know how it works out, thanks for all the comments!