Representing Adult and YA

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
A question about agents, possibly a very naive one - I've never dealt with agents.
Suppose a certain Dondomat write in a variety of genres and has no wish to stop. Suppose an adult work is picked up by a 'no YA' agent, or a YA project is picked by a 'No adult stuff' agent - will they ignore this hypothetical dondomat's other projects, or will they do their best to market them? Or maybe they are lacking connections? Should I have two different agents to handle adult and YA stuff?
There.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A question about agents, possibly a very naive one - I've never dealt with agents.
Suppose a certain Dondomat write in a variety of genres and has no wish to stop. Suppose an adult work is picked up by a 'no YA' agent, or a YA project is picked by a 'No adult stuff' agent - will they ignore this hypothetical dondomat's other projects, or will they do their best to market them? Or maybe they are lacking connections? Should I have two different agents to handle adult and YA stuff?
There.

Agents usually represent authors, not single books, so you should be ok: but you'd be wise to submit to agents who cover all the genres in which you work, as they'll have appropriate contacts and expertise, and so will be able to represent you best.

Some agents will suggest that their clients have a second agent to deal with the stuff they can't or won't sell--non-fiction, for example--but that's rare, I think. At least, it is rare in my experience.