Status
Not open for further replies.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Remember it? I can sing the entire thing from memory!

It's a pity what has been burned into my neurons...

Joining you in the Cantina choir there. I had to go look up the vid for himself as this passed him by. Boy, he was so ungrateful that I filled in the gap in his knowledge.

Ironically, the video reminded me of the type of stuff ex-rock guitar hero Ritchie Blackmore has started doing. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
That's the long, ugly, pale, lumpy thing sandwiched between your duodenum (first part of small intestine) as it loops around.

Unless you aren't a bird, then nevermind. Except the ugly part. And pale part. And lumpy part. And being associated near the duodenum part.

We're all the same really, except when we're not :D
This is about the most useful piece of advice I've had from Cantina Hospital.

*goes to read up about pancreasesseses*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa. LSD Safety Dance is right.

:eek:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did I mention about the blood tests? And the fainting?
You did, and whilst you really do have my sympathy, I have seen the effects of diabetes, and I'd settle for the tests and the fainting any day.

I did want add a well done for deciding to go though. Sending you lots of cantina moral support.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is about the most useful piece of advice I've had from Cantina Hospital.

*goes to read up about pancreasesseses*

And you'll see that I'm right about the ugliness, paleness, lumpiness, and duodnemness :D

You're welcome.

Maybe I should print out cards:

Dr. Fen
Have you been mentally scarred by basic medicine today? Call immediately for an appointment!*

*not for a cure. Mental scarring services only. By appointment only, but feel free to walk in and request an appointment.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I feel I should point out to any mods reading this that I will, of course, go and see a REAL doctor and not rely on the half-baked pseudo diagnoses of my fellow Cantina-ites.

Just before we all get told off for running a diagnostic hospital in the Cantina.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You did, and whilst you really do have my sympathy, I have seen the effects of diabetes, and I'd settle for the tests and the fainting any day.

I did want add a well done for deciding to go though. Sending you lots of cantina moral support.

Seconding this too.

Try going to google images for 'Diabetes foot' for a start... *shudders*

Oh, wait, we're being supportive here, right? Does horrific consequences in img form count as supportive?

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
And you'll see that I'm right about the ugliness, paleness, lumpiness, and duodnemness :D

You're welcome.
It's alright, I used to live with medical students. I've heard all the stories and seen all the text books. My housemates used to viciously tap my veins and ask if they could canulate them.

I've pretty much got the scarring covered.

Nice business cards though.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding this too.

Try going to google images for 'Diabetes foot' for a start... *shudders*

Oh, wait, we're being supportive here, right? Does horrific consequences in img form count as supportive?

Yes, I know about the necrosis and amputations and blindness.

Medical student housemates, remember? ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How come medicine isn't cute and pretty?

Because "Life is pain, Princess. Anyone telling you different is lying or selling something." (sorry, Princess Bride kick)

And ask me why I hate medicine. Answer: Cuz the cute and pretty usually lasts 0.5 seconds. The rest of the time you have to tell someone their puppy has parvo and will likely die without expensive treatment. Or you couldn't save Mr. Ed during surgery. Or horrible genetic diseases are horrible.

Okay, it's not all doom and gloom, but it is damn depressing.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's alright, I used to live with medical students. I've heard all the stories and seen all the text books. My housemates used to viciously tap my veins and ask if they could canulate them.

I've pretty much got the scarring covered.

Nice business cards though.

Hehe, at least vets only ask to stab other people's pets. My friend let me draw from her horses a few months ago :)

Yes, but only from that post after mine :D ;)

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I bet they used to diagnose themselves with every disease going.
They diagnosed me more than themselves actually.

Me: "I have a cough and a headache."
Them: "Meningitis!"

Me: "What's the differential diagnosis on abdominal pain and nausea?"
Them: "Pregnancy!"
More of them: "Ectopic pregnancy!!"
Another one of them: "Cancer! Of the bowels!"
Me: "Guys it's probably just my time of the month coming on."
Them: "Pffftt! We must examine you! Can I test your reflexes? You have really good veins! Here, pretend to be our patient!"

I did learn a lot though. Lesson one: NEVER GO TO HOSPITAL.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"You always loved animals so much...I always thought you should be a vet. Why don't you become a vet?" <<everyone in my family, all the time.

And ask me why I hate medicine. Answer: Cuz the cute and pretty usually lasts 0.5 seconds. The rest of the time you have to tell someone their puppy has parvo and will likely die without expensive treatment. Or you couldn't save Mr. Ed during surgery. Or horrible genetic diseases are horrible.

That's why....:D

Although I will say...I did get to see a surgery on a horse's leg one time and that was so, so cool to watch...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did learn a lot though. Lesson one: NEVER GO TO HOSPITAL.

:ROFL:

Although, NEVER GO TO THE STUDENT HOSPITAL is better. Actual doctors are typically less enthusiastic. Except pathologists. Human and veterinary pathologists are nutters and get way too excited about cutting dead things open.

Guess which rotation I doubled on in fourth year, and filled my externships with? :evil:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"You always loved animals so much...I always thought you should be a vet. Why don't you become a vet?" <<everyone in my family, all the time.

That's why....:D

Although I will say...I did get to see a surgery on a horse's leg one time and that was so, so cool to watch...

You are sooooooooo much smarter than I am.

Though to be fair, I bailed outta pre vet, only to change my mind about 3 years later. Damn.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I know about the necrosis and amputations and blindness.

One of our patients at the Job from Hell had diabetes-related necrosis, and eventually had to have an above-the-knee amputation. I was utterly freaked out by the smell.

Okay, it wasn't the smell itself that bothered me that much. What freaked my gourd was the realization was that this man trying to flirt with me was rotting to death and I was smelling it. It was one thing to read about it, another thing entirely to be presented with it in the confines of an elevator.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Actual doctors are typically less enthusiastic.
My doctor is a nutcase.

Last year I over-extended the muscles in my index and middle fingers on my right hand by bending them back for too long. I don't recommend this. So I go to see him and he starts twiddling with the index finger which I believe is causing the problem. He figures out it's the middle finger that's causing the problem and proceeds to explain this to me by moving my middle finger around in the directions it's not meant to move in (left and right) and this causes my index finger to twitch alarmingly (and painfully) in sympathy.

His reaction? Ooo, interesting! and then he carries on. I ended up having to ask him to stop.

Mad. Totally mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.