Where does your dog sleep at night.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Our dog either sleeps on our bed or on the floor of the master bathroom.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dog sleeps in the floor next to my side of the bed. He has free reign of the house. He gets up periodically at night and makes his rounds then comes back. I really think he's double checking that all the doors and windows are locked :) And maybe that the teenager isn't escaping :)
See, I'd like that. I stayed with a friend once after not seeing them for a long time. The dog remembered me, and came into check on me several times in the night. It was sweet. BUt I'm afraid Leela will get into something. I suppose we could just make sure there is no trash for her to get...Right now we've gone from having her confined to her crate to being confined to the kitchen with access to her crate. Maybe we'll try that for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Benny, the Jack Russell Terror, has the run of the house during the day but sleeps in his crate at night. It's in the living room beside the parrot's cage. Like a toddler, he conks out for 12 hours or so. Which is good because I need the recovery time.

I've had pets all my life but have never allowed any of them into bed with me at night. I prefer other company. :)

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
When we filled out the application to get our second dog, from pug rescue, one of the questions was where does our current dog sleep. We said "whereever she wants to." It kind of hadn't occurred to us that we had a choice...

Number One Pug sleeps on the bed, except when she decides to wander off, sometimes for nefarious purposes. Number Two Pug snores, so the routine is that she starts out the night in another room, and then moves to her dog bed in the bedroom after we've fallen asleep, and then gets to get on the bed for a while before we get up. This is seriously the routine every night - it's very funny what they can get used to.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
What are these dog beds I keep hearing about? Darby, our beagle, has his very own king-sized waterbed. Sometimes he's even nice enough to let us sleep in it with him!

Dog bed...oh, yeah. That would be that overpriced thing I bought for him last year that he ate part of. :D

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I told Mr. Groove about this thread. I like the idea of letting her just 'be'. So she could sleep in our room if she wanted, but right now we don't know if she would shew the couch. We could empty the waster paper basket she gets into before bed, but we can't put the couches up for the night. Maybe when she's older. I really appreciate everyone's response.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed with my dogs (fuzzy babies), kids, and even Hubby is that we all have a nighttime routine. I didn't plan it, it just happened. For the kids, we tell them to go potty and brush teeth. After that, they always want a drink of water. The dogs all stand by the door in the kitchen at this time wanting to go out. Then we put the kids to bed and let the dogs in. It's about 8:30 or so, but still, when the dogs come in, they crash. One goes straight to the bedroom, one to the couch, and the other to the loveseat. (The big one gets the loveseat 'cause she sleeps on her back - I actually made it in the house, fumbled till I found the camera, and took a couple pictures of her before she woke up - Some guard dog, huh?) Anyway, when we start turning off lights, we let the dogs out one more time, then we are all in for the night.
Even when they were puppies, they wouldn't do damage during the night. And animals (in general) usually don't pee where they sleep, and that's the main reason we trained the little ones to sleep on the bed. Although we do occasionally find keepsakes and candy wrappers hidden under the pillows...

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
My dogs sleep under the covers with us during the winter (big babies) and either on the bed or wherever anytime else. They don't really get into anything because they're inside all day but also have a doggy door to go outside as they please. Yes, they are VERY spoiled.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a teenager I had a dog that would crawl under the covers and sleep at the foot of my bed. My bed was a twin, positioned in the corner. Sometimes in the night she would work her way up between me and the wall and streeeetch out her legs and try to push me out of bed. It worked once and I woke up on the floor. She had to sleep downstairs for a few nights after that.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
We have a 90 lb hound we adopted from a rescue organization last year at about 1-2 years of age. He looks just like a Plott hound, but who knows? It took him no time to settle into our sleep routine. He's not allowed on any furniture, and he sleeps on a large doggie bed near our bed. He loves that bed! He goes to sleep right before or when we do and wakes up when we do, and I've never seen him wander around the house at night. He stays in the house during the day, too.

I think an important part of them sleeping well at night and not "getting into things" is regular exercise and letting them out to do their business before sleep. Of course, puppies break all the rules. Good luck!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we've been keeping her in the kitchen when we aren't home and it is too hot/stormy or some other reason not to leave her out. and recently we've been leaving her crate door open at night so she can be in the kitchen if she wants. I used to close the utility room door - but it has one of the few windows she can look out of in the house. It occured to me the other day if I made the utility room doggie safe, I could raise the blind a little and she could look out. Thought it was a great idea until 145 am last night when something out side made her go ballistic. Usually if the neighbor dogs bark she'll bark once, i take it as her saying ''hey, the dogs outside are barking, did you hear?" So when she didn't just bark once, I jumped out of bed to see what was wrong. So I'm thinkin; maybe close the blinds at night- eh?

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
it-is-written4u.spaces.live.com
Scooter and Jilly, small Yorkies, have us trained. Dad says, "OK, PeePee time," and they come running to go outside. Of course, what they're really running for is the Pupperoni treat before bed.

:snoopy::snoopy:

Jilly sleeps on the bed and is usually wherever I am. Scooter sleeps in the master bath in her own fuzzy bed, on her back with the top of her head and eyes burrowed down so when the light comes on it won't bother her.

Heaven forbid we should bother her.:rant:

Jenifer

Now with extra neurotic filling.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a fairly small dog (miniature poodle)... she sleeps with me. In fact, at the moment the dog bed that my mom made for her is even on my bed. So she sleeps on her bed, on my bed. Spoiled little git.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
My dog sleeps in my bed with me. As of late he's been sleeping on my pillows over my head. Thankfully he's only 12 pounds, otherwise I'd have some issues. Although he has eaten a fair amount of my bedding . . .

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a dog sleeping on the pillow that MY head is supposed to be on...

So when she didn't just bark once, I jumped out of bed to see what was wrong. So I'm thinkin; maybe close the blinds at night- eh?

Depends on what she was barking at, maybe! A few years ago, a friend of mine's dog started barking like mad out the window. She got up and closed the blinds and continued the conversation she was having. Later she went outside and found her car had been broken into. We both pay more attention now when our dogs go ballistic. Yeah, nearly every other time it's, like, a person walking by in a funny hat... but we always check!

myscribe

Who's the ninja now?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Corner of my mind (in a nice padded room)
My PrincePup sleeps in his crate at night in the den. Lord help us all if he was allowed to roam. He thinks dogs beds are giant plush buddies to drag around and play with.

He actually loves his crate and goes in on his own when I tell him to go sleepy. He has an open crate in the kitchen that he naps in during the day (when he slows down long enough). He also wants to be put in his sleepy crate during thunderstorms.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Bella sleeps on the bed and steals sheets and covers during the night. Boxers are major cuddle/kissy dogs and they tuck up against you at night. So, if you don't want a dog sleeping with you at night, don't get a Boxer.

And they fart like the dickens, too. :flag: At least I have someone else to blame now... :e2brows:

The boxer follows me like a shadow. I don't mind her sleeping with me sometimes, but we've moved a loveseat to the end of the bed. Most of the time that's close enough for her and I can have the bed to myself. ^_^

-An

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a dog sleeping on the pillow that MY head is supposed to be on...

Depends on what she was barking at, maybe! A few years ago, a friend of mine's dog started barking like mad out the window. She got up and closed the blinds and continued the conversation she was having. Later she went outside and found her car had been broken into. We both pay more attention now when our dogs go ballistic. Yeah, nearly every other time it's, like, a person walking by in a funny hat... but we always check!
True. I did look out to see what she was barking at, since it wasn't her usual one bark to let me know our neighbor is leaving for work at 4am or that the neighbor dogs arebarking. But it wasn't anything dangerous, just an animal in the yard but I thought it best to keep the blinds shut at night anyway.

Thanks myscribe. That's how our dog is. :)

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
I have two. My little Min-pin-pom sleeps with me and has the run of the house but he doesn't get up (get off the bed) in the night anymore because I sometimes won't wake up to put him back in my bed. I have a tall pedestal bed and though he can jump quite high, he can't jump that high. My other pet sleeps under the bed and also has the run of the house. They are both house trained and are good dogs.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dog is a good dog, but she likes to get tissues out of the trash and shred them and leave the mess for me to find. ANd - she hasn't yet, but has displayed the interest in chewing the couch. Since she isn't left unatteneded in the living room so it hasn't happened, but I don't trust her to roam at night. I do sometimes think it would be nice to have her with us, but other times I am glad I have my husband to myself. Since she doesn't whine or act upset that we 'put her to bed' in the kitchen right now I think we'll stick with what we've been doing.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited:

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a shih tzu that liked to tear apart, um, used lady things from the bathroom wastebasket. I would have been thrilled if she only shredded the tissues. >.<

-An

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Well, it depends. Who do you want to be in charge in your house? If you're happy with the dog controlling everything, then sure, let it sleep in your bed, eat from your dining-table, climb on your couch...

But if you think that pets should know their place and do as they're told, I wouldn't let it get a whiff of sleeping anywhere other than its own bed. If it's happy in the crate, leave it there. Keep the blinds shut and put any food out of temptation's way. And remember it's your dog, not your baby.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks girlyswot!

I agree. Even if we did let her sleep in our room, it would be on her bed or a crate we moved in the room for her. But right now the kitchen arrangement is working.