• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Ravenous Romance

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Then a few days ago -- maybe a couple weeks -- I got the emailed "book of the day" daily announcement, which I never signed up for, as far as I know (although it may have been required to get the first sample of their product, so maybe that's where they got my e-address), which I had previously (at least once, maybe twice) asked to be removed from. That was about a week ago, and I haven't received anything else from them since. Then again, I didn't get a confirmation of the unsubscribing either.

I did manage to 'unsubscribe' from the BIG emails a while back, but I still get the "book of the day" announcement (and yes, I do recall giving them the email to sample the introductory freebie stories) and the "botd" announcement doesn't include an unsubscibe option. I purchased a couple 'friend buys' (waves at Chumplet) but I'm not terribly interested in the "book of the day" reminders.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
As part of my yahoo group messages, I receive "The book of the day is..." emails, mostly in the hope that The Toast Bitches will appear at least once more before I retire. Perhaps the source of the emails is from Yahoo! Groups. Maybe when it goes to the link, it links to the damaged website but they're broken? Perhaps all links haven't been repaired since the site went down.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I got Ralan's newsletter today and they noted that Ravenous pays $200 adv./30% net. Just an FYI :D

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For any authors with stories in RR anthologies: have you been getting regular royalty statements?

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
I received a statement for the third quarter a week or two ago from the editor of my anthology. She's prompt in getting them out but from what I hear on the grapevine that varies from editor to editor.

I still don't understand why the royalty statements aren't coming from the publishing house....

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like your editor is on the ball, MLH! Like you, I cannot understand why RR doesn't handle the royalty statments since the contract is between RR and the author.

I've pinged my editor this week, since I've only seen one royalty statement/payment and the book has been out for over a year.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
thanks, all. I contacted my editor and it was my fault, as it turned out: her emails to me were bouncing. So that's been sorted.

HaxxanDreams

Registered
Reaction score
Unimportant, I have never received regular royalty statements from RR, and my antho has been out for over a year also. I never received this alleged advance from them, either. Not even when it was supposedly a $10.00 advance. I contacted both my editor and the company, and while that fixed the royalty statement situation for one quarter, everything has gone back as it was since that time. I realize I will never be paid for my work, and I'd have to jump through hoops to get a simple statement. It's not worth the trouble.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My anthology royalties are sporadic at best. It was for the first anthology they put out. I'm not keeping track anymore, just waiting for my advances to be earned & for them to let me go.

I've been treated well enough in spite of underwhelming sales.

At the time I wrote my full-length novel for them, I wasn't sure of my writing path. I know now that erotic romance isn't my forte.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Unimportant, I have never received regular royalty statements from RR, and my antho has been out for over a year also. I never received this alleged advance from them, either. Not even when it was supposedly a $10.00 advance. I contacted both my editor and the company, and while that fixed the royalty statement situation for one quarter, everything has gone back as it was since that time. I realize I will never be paid for my work, and I'd have to jump through hoops to get a simple statement. It's not worth the trouble.

In theory, you have to invoice for the advance (it is in the contract), which I found a little weird but would explain why you didn't get it until you asked. If you're not receiving royalty statements that's on the editor of the anthology. I'm not sure what you could do further than tell RR that they're not being passed on and see if they'll nudge. You could also contact others in the anthology and see if they've had the same problem.

I have to admit, I've had some problems with communication myself. In several cases it's taken two or more emails to get a reply (I find attention grabbing headers like 'TAX query' worked slightly better) and I've been waiting on a reply from one of their new editors for a month now, despite nudges.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As an update: I didn't receive a royalty statement or check for a while, so I contacted the antho editor. She told me that it was being handled by a RR staff member. I contacted RR and they said they'd look into it, but I haven't heard anything since.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Silver-Midnight, in case you haven't read far back in this thread, RR is run by Lori Perkins, also of the Perkins Agency. Several AW writers are repped by Perkins and her agents, and I haven't heard anything bad from them. But many, many other writers caution lots of care and research when dealing with Perkins or RR.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Silver-Midnight, in case you haven't read far back in this thread, RR is run by Lori Perkins, also of the Perkins Agency. Several AW writers are repped by Perkins and her agents, and I haven't heard anything bad from them. But many, many other writers caution lots of care and research when dealing with Perkins or RR.

Okay. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Last edited:

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Received an email today from Holly stating that Ms. Perkins has resigned her position as Editorial Director of RR.

Lori accepted my first short story for her first anthology, Sex and Shoes. Because of that, I was given the opportunity to write The Toast Bitches for Holly. The Bitches didn't turn out to be the kind of book RR has made successful, but I appreciate their efforts to get it out there.

Best of luck to Lori.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My anthology statements seem to be handled by a new person, so now they've been arriving on time the last couple of quarters.

Mine are supposely handled by a new person, but after admitting that RR is two years behind in paying me, she fell off the radar and hasn't responded to my last four or five emails. My experience with RR has been very poor, and I'd not work with them again.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mine are supposely handled by a new person, but after admitting that RR is two years behind in paying me, she fell off the radar and hasn't responded to my last four or five emails. My experience with RR has been very poor, and I'd not work with them again.

I haven't really been keeping track since that post. It's not really worth it for a few cents a quarter.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com

Same here. I only have the one anthology story there. While i thought them getting that load of books promo-ed and sold on the one home shopping channel was pretty cool, the general lack of consistency in statements/payments was a deal breaker for me.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Received an email today from Holly stating that Ms. Perkins has resigned her position as Editorial Director of RR.

Lori accepted my first short story for her first anthology, Sex and Shoes. Because of that, I was given the opportunity to write The Toast Bitches for Holly. The Bitches didn't turn out to be the kind of book RR has made successful, but I appreciate their efforts to get it out there.

Best of luck to Lori.

Does that mean that she's totally disassociated herself with RR? Given the concerns people had about her being an agent *and* a publisher it might cause quite a shift in how people feel about RR.

Sorry they didn't work out for you. They did blow into town with much hoopla and seemed to have burned out quickly enough.

:(

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I think it removes the concern about the agency rather than the publisher. (And given these reports of erratic payments, I'd be leery of submitting anything to RR until some more positive reports show up.)