The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
James D. Macdonald said:
I've figured out the 80% thing!

PA gets 20 submissions a day from the outside world -- and Miranda submits her book 80 times a day. It's rejected every time (it really is wretched, but the poor girl keeps trying). Voila! Only 20% of the manuscripts that are submitted to PA are accepted!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a writer, not a statistician. ;)

Well, at least she can wallpaper her home with a matching pattern.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Congratulations are in order! Miranda N. Prather has sold another piece.

"In putting the zobmi to rest, Prather explores a speaker who must face a lifetime of bad choices which have corrupted the child she once was."
Zobmi? Hmmm, looks like they picked the no editing option, too. :ROFL:

James D. Macdonald said:
Good luck with your novel, Miranda! Hey, there's this traditional publisher in Maryland that would probably give it the chance it deserves. Why don't you submit it to them?

Yeaaaah. I wonder why she hasn't submitted it to them? Doesn't she trust that they can do a good job with it? ;)

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ann said:
James D. Macdonald said:
Congratulations are in order! Miranda N. Prather has sold another piece.

QUOTE]

You're kidding me. She's blurbing "one" poem? Someone help me out here. I'm not an expert, but that is a poorly written whatever, if you ask me.

Ok, :Huh: free form poetry. I guess I should have read throughly before ranting. But it is so poorly written, I reacted to my first impression.

Last edited:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
A lifetime of bad choices – corruption of innocence – cruel world – kill off the kindness –

Do you think the poem is maybe a little autobiographical?

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
A band of incoherent yet resonant zobmis leave a trail of terror from Tupelo, Mississippi to Frederick, Maryland...where they met a band of zombis who take a tone with them.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You know, while the "dogpile on Miranda" is certainly fun, and the object of ridicule is certainly deserving, I think this stuff will reflect poorly on this thread; it's ammo for those who would point to it and say: "See! Look at these bashers! Post after post of personal attacks on a writer!" Take it outside, anybody?

Rob

"Hey boy...got ma cheez whiz?"

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
DaveKuzminski said:
I'm disappointed in Miranda for not having her novel published with PA. After all, they're a traditional publisher and they offer an advance from $1.00 up to $1,000.00. Surely her work is so cutting-edged that it would receive the highest PA advance ever!

That's what i was thinking. Wonder if we will see PA increase the range of advance it claims to pay out?

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Dangit, Uncle Jim!

James D. Macdonald said:
I've figured out the 80% thing!

PA gets 20 submissions a day from the outside world -- and Miranda submits her book 80 times a day. It's rejected every time (it really is wretched, but the poor girl keeps trying). Voila! Only 20% of the manuscripts that are submitted to PA are accepted!
This is the kinda thing that I'm supposed to say and you're supposed to get on to me about - don't throw these sudden role reversals at me!

"Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of vanity POD publishers - The Pickler knows!"
frfr.gif

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Interesting, the phrase "Southern Gothic writers, stretching from Poet to Faulkner" is one we've seen before in another press release.

Yep! PA not only uses form letters as press releases for their authors' works, Miranda uses cut-n-paste for her own stuff.

But tell me, who's this "Poet" guy?

Last edited:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
You know, while the "dogpile on Miranda" is certainly fun, and the object of ridicule is certainly deserving, I think this stuff will reflect poorly on this thread; it's ammo for those who would point to it and say: "See! Look at these bashers! Post after post of personal attacks on a writer!"...
I said as much in a recent post. Nothing happened as a result.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Interesting, the phrase "Southern Gothic writers, stretching from Poet to Faulkner" is one we've seen before in another press release.

Yep! PA not only uses form letters as press releases for their authors' works, Miranda uses cut-n-paste for her own stuff.

But tell me, who's this "Poet" guy?

Walt Whitman. He thought he was The Poet.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Maybe she's been smoking some Leaves of Grass. I'd also like to go on record as saying she ought to give PA a fair shot at her novel. C'mon, Miranda, as the Beach Boys put it, be true to your school. Already I can feel the resonance; it fits me like a glove...or is that just my tighty whities riding up? Gives a feller a heckuva grip, let me tell you...

John

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
robeiae said:
Post after post of personal attacks on a writer!"

Miranda isn't a PublishAmerica author. Nor has she been personally attacked, at least in this.

Now calling her a scamming, lying, abusive, low down poor excuse for a human being, that's a personal attack.

You see the difference?

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
I think, too, that some of the newer posters...

...wouldn't know this, but taking on the PA principals, Meiners, Clopper, and Prather, has been considered a somewhat different situation than taking on PA authors in general. While we fully support PA authors and are here to help them whenever we can, we have plenty of problems with their management. These are the people responsible for ruining the dreams and aspirations of more than a few writers, and personally, I don't feel one tiny qualm about going after them. However, in deference to my distinguished colleague, Victoria (and the fact that this Moe-randa bit has run its course anyway), I shant say another word about it.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Miranda isn't a PublishAmerica author. Nor has she been personally attacked, at least in this.

Now calling her a scamming, lying, abusive, low down poor excuse for a human being, that's a personal attack.

You see the difference?

In that case, we should leave out "human being" since we don't want to make it personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.