Gardeners of AW, unite

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I dug up some of the basil seedlings, put them in pots, and took them inside. Also took a few of the strawberry runners. Aside from the squashes, the garden is still fine, but it's getting cool at night. The first freeze can't be far off. Until then, I'm still getting chiles and herbs.

Made a huge batch of pesto, too.

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
We've had several frosts already. I cover the plants at night that I still have growing. I'm on I don't know how many rounds of radishes now. Haven't pulled all my carrots yet. Lettuce and collard greens are doing well too. I finally cleared the rest of the plants out of my garden bins yesterday. I was surprised to see several little new shoots of broccoli heads! Despite the frosts--and I didn't cover them.

So a nice fresh November salad with dinner tonight. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers, SP.

Btw, my beet experiment kinda failed. They didn't have any weeks of good strong growth. They aren't dead, but I didn't pick them last weekend as expected. If they survive the next three weeks (and my mom's neglect. grr.) I'll harvest whatever roots and leaves I can at that time. What can you do?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I officially move in Friday, and the garden should be mowed down by then. Landlady promised to till it too.

Somewhere, someone was interested in helping with garden design. Anyone remember who that was?

I'm already making plans though :) I have a roughly 20 by 40 plot, and can easily make it wider (my landlady even encouraged me a bit). I also have room around the house and the edge of the property.

And I want to plant way too much:
Blackberries and Raspberries (might plant those this fall??)
Blueberries maybe. And Strawberries (these can go near the chicken coop, and they can have the overflow, heh)
Lots and lots of Basil
Lots of banana and red bell peppers
Parsley and other herbs
Parsnips and celery ROOTs (need to find where to get this)
Few tomatoes (Roma for certain)

Three sisters garden (Pumpkins, beans, sunflowers, and corn. I can't have the later, but the animals can)
Other squash
Bananas (My grandmother has tons indoors. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll fruit for me)
And the list goes on...

Now I have to figure out what to plant simply for companion planting sake :)

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend a separate plot for the strawberries, preferably with a barrier of sorts.
Once they take root, they spread by underground runners and you'll never EVER get rid of them.
I had a friend who planted some in a small space next to her house. Ten years later she's still trying to kill them.
They are immortal.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I can't possibly recommend strongly enough against hollow-stemmed cucurbits. Borers are completely uncontrollable without pesticides and way too much work. I guess if there are no borers anywhere near you, go right ahead, but I will never plant crooknecks, zucchinis, or anything like that ever again. However, cucumbers, melons, and winter squash are still fair game.

What zone are you moving to again? That'll change everyone's suggestions.

Blackberries have biennial vines and require maintenance. You may already know that, but if not, you'll get used to it.

Romas are great. Mine recovered from the leafminer infestation and are still growing tomatoes as of today.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend a separate plot for the strawberries, preferably with a barrier of sorts.
Once they take root, they spread by underground runners and you'll never EVER get rid of them.
I had a friend who planted some in a small space next to her house. Ten years later she's still trying to kill them.
They are immortal.

But, I don't like having a lawn to mow anyways :D Maybe I should put in some mint as well ;) (Oh, I do want some peppermint, and that's just as wild. I'll keep it in pots)
I could put the strawberries in pots too, and keep them from getting established in ground... Or leave the pots on the deck to be safe...

I can't possibly recommend strongly enough against hollow-stemmed cucurbits. Borers are completely uncontrollable without pesticides and way too much work. I guess if there are no borers anywhere near you, go right ahead, but I will never plant crooknecks, zucchinis, or anything like that ever again. However, cucumbers, melons, and winter squash are still fair game.

What zone are you moving to again? That'll change everyone's suggestions.

Blackberries have biennial vines and require maintenance. You may already know that, but if not, you'll get used to it.

Romas are great. Mine recovered from the leafminer infestation and are still growing tomatoes as of today.

Okay, first I had to google Cucurbits, then I had to try not to scream because those are my favorites. I must have pumpkins, and prolly some other cucurbits. I was thinking squash bugs would be the worse of my problem. Looks like there's some organic/planning strategies that might help. I'll have to try it and see. The ag extension office might know some resistant varieties.

I'm in NC now. That's... zone 8.

I only know a little about blackberries, but I've got some time to read up.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I can't forget the spinach and lettuce (I think the side of the house will be great for giving these a little shade. If not, the trees at the end of the driveway will). And broccoli would be fun, at least to try. Or colored cauliflower, for kicks :D

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Okay, first I had to google Cucurbits, then I had to try not to scream because those are my favorites. I must have pumpkins, and prolly some other cucurbits. I was thinking squash bugs would be the worse of my problem. Looks like there's some organic/planning strategies that might help. I'll have to try it and see. The ag extension office might know some resistant varieties.
Note how I said winter squash (e.g., pumpkins) are fine. Their vines are apparently thin enough that the borers can't really work them over. I, too, thought squash bugs would be my biggest worry, and although I did see some of them during the season, they were a minor pest. The borers outright killed the vines.

The only way I could be convinced to plant hollow-stemmed cucurbits again is if I saw mountains of exhaustive scientific evidence proving the existence of a completely effective trap crop to lure borers from the other squash. Even then, it'd take convincing. I wasted too much damn time.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of mint or strawberries for a lawn, check out some of the creeping thymes.
They stay low to the ground and smell lovely when you step on them.

Check this out:
http://www.lexic.us/definition-of/creeping_thyme

Oh, that's nice. I'll have to try that.

Note how I said winter squash (e.g., pumpkins) are fine. Their vines are apparently thin enough that the borers can't really work them over. I, too, thought squash bugs would be my biggest worry, and although I did see some of them during the season, they were a minor pest. The borers outright killed the vines.

The only way I could be convinced to plant hollow-stemmed cucurbits again is if I saw mountains of exhaustive scientific evidence proving the existence of a completely effective trap crop to lure borers from the other squash. Even then, it'd take convincing. I wasted too much damn time.

Oh, see, I don't even know what falls under winter squash :) *heaves a sigh of relief*

I think you'd have to combine trap crops with other methods, and that would be time consuming. I know timing is important with butternut squash (planting after or just before the squash bugs get established. Then the bugs die off and your squash can grow with little trouble.)

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Oh, see, I don't even know what falls under winter squash :) *heaves a sigh of relief*

I think you'd have to combine trap crops with other methods, and that would be time consuming. I know timing is important with butternut squash (planting after or just before the squash bugs get established. Then the bugs die off and your squash can grow with little trouble.)
As a general rule, if it's a hardskinned squash you'd want to bake and scrape before eating, it's a winter squash; but if you'd eat it steamed with the skin intact, it's a summer squash. That's probably not a perfect indicator of stem hollowness, though. If you do plant zukes or crooknecks, you'll have to regularly check the vines from roots to leaves, including blossoms, for borer eggs. Should the borers get into the vines, you only have three options: cut the grubs out (damaging the vines), inject bacteria (expensive), or tear the vines out and burn them.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, very good. I'll keep an eye out then and pray.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
One of the basil plants I brought in for the winter is putting out leaves in groups of three, not two. If it also puts out secondary branches with leaves in triples, I'm going to attempt to breed it into a reliable strain. Just think of how valuable a three-leafed basil plant would be (50% faster leaf production per unit time).

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that would be awesome. Get pictures :)

If you get something reliable, I'd like to hybridize it with some purple basil, just for fun.

The garden has been mowed down and some manure spread over it. The space looks much larger now. I've got tons of room to plant in.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Lemon grass has leaves!

It was a very dry stalk, the core would have been barely edible, but it had about 1/4 - 1/2 inch (angular cut) of what appeared to be root on the bottom. So I put it in a jar of water with a drop of plant food. Three weeks later, I'd given up and was about to chuck it when I realized the slimey leaves were actually covering something: a root! I removed the decaying leaves and changed the water.

It's been about another three weeks and I've got enough roots that I think it might be able to survive in dirt. It's also got a 5 inch leaf with another inside it (these grow concentrically) on one side and a 1 inch leaf starting on the other side.

It lives!!

And frankly I'm afraid to put it in dirt because almost every other edible thing I did that to died.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for life! I hope it continues to grow for you.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Oh, that would be awesome. Get pictures :)

If you get something reliable, I'd like to hybridize it with some purple basil, just for fun.
This is a detail of a much larger image of all the basil plants.

inplants.jpg

Still very young, as you can see, but the triple-leaf behavior is evident. And if you want some of the seeds, you'll have to come get them. :tongue

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! (bad pun intended)

And you lost the chance to invite me over when I graduated and left OK screaming for joy. :tongue

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it spring yet? :D

The last minute batch of beets never really grew (they look nice though, in miniature). The lettuce that staid outside also didn't grow, but I brought it inside and the leaves are sweet, so I'll be having baby-baby lettuce with my lunch today. The rest of the garden is pretty much done, particularly the peppers. The older beets never went to seed, go figure.

I got the last of the seeds off my super basil and kicked the pot outside b/c the purple basils and soil had mold all over it (my mom of course noticed this :rolleyes:). I've been giving away purple basil seeds (with hybrids mixed in, I'm sure), so no big loss there. The joys of trying to keep up the garden in the fall. I can't wait to move everything to my house in NC (including myself. I have 3 weeks in philly coming up, argh)

I just need to find some pest resistant summer squash varieties and I'll be set for next year. Bring on spring!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so jealous for those of you who still have stuff growing. Mine hard froze back in September. Mid June to mid September is simply not enough time!

As for the squash bugs pumpkin plants actually attract them and you'll have a far higher likelyhood of gaining squash bugs if you plant pumkins.

Here's a pretty good article on controlling squash bugs organically. http://www.life123.com/home-garden/...ts/top-five-ways-to-control-squash-bugs.shtml

And here's another list. http://www.bhg.com/gardening/pests/insects-diseases-weeds/control-squash-bugs/

Good luck! I hope you have a wonderful garden.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Rose. The more info I can get the better. If my chickens and guineas don't eat these bugs, I'm going to have more for my freezer :tongue. Or I can genetically select for birds that devour the squash bugs and by 2012 have a squash bug eating army :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for 'composting' this year's organic potting soil? I want to mix it all up, add something so it can go in pots next spring (I tried moss, it wasn't quite enough), and maybe add some nutrients. Said nutrients need to break down between now and early spring...

There's plenty of moss in my mom's yard, and it's close enough to organic for me. But what else can I do?