Status
Not open for further replies.

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
It's a device in the story, Ocular Virtual Reality. It's an implant in the eye that transmits digital imagery directly to the eye. It allows for people to see a variety of information- GPS directions, ads, news updates, etc.

It also refers to the downfall of the governmental and societal organiztaions that will occur over the course of the novel.

The Light of Silver and Gold refers to the company logo. This company, Sycamore Industries, controls everything- laws, media, commerce. It also refers to a specific scene where a character stands in front of an old projector, which represents older technology than what they have, as well as the moguel that started Sycamore.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't got a title for my WIP yet, which is unusual for me.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Usually whatever inspired my novel ends up being the title, but #LesbianSpaceGypsies doesn't have that luxury.

Actually I had a great title, but it is too close to a certain SF series I love that slightly might end up adding inspiration to the novel, so, yeah, no. I probably won't know until I start writing and get some theme or a line I love or find a song that contains the perfect title.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
O.V.R. would probably make me check it out more. It seems more SF or dystopian, but The Light of Silver and Gold seems more fantasy to me.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Unless something technical goes wrong or my entry was formatted wrong, it looks like I actually made the submission window time because I already got a confirmation of my entry and they're still calling for entries on twitter.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm debating whether I need three more chapters for subplots... Gah.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Kansas- I actually just came back from Switzerland (I posted/blogged about it here) - great fun. And a few days later we get this news :( The funeral is tomorrow and then we're sitting shiva for a few days (in the Jewish religion you're supposed to sit shiva/be in mourning for 7 but real life needs to happen for us so we'll only be doing a day or two).

*hugs* Sorry for your loss

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure I just got rejected in the Pitch Madness slush. Oh well.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
hugs for all. Sorry for your loss, Smiley. Good luck on the R&R, Sage.

I just spent an hour on AW when I was supposed to be writing. Clearly I need to unplug my modem. Sigh.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, can you guys see me on here? My window went a bit hesitant for a moment there...

I am registering, right?

:D

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* Sorry for your loss

Thanks Dorothy. Trying to write down my eulogy for tomorrow is hard. Short eulogy of course... All I just want to say I feel like are silly things like "I loved Grandma a lot and we used to bake together and have midnight snack at 10.30pm when I was little and she used to tell me stories of her life in Germany and then during WWII" :(

Aw Sage I'm sorry to hear if you are indeed rejected. BOO! I am also officially following you on Twitter :D

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dorothy! So one of the categories for the contest is "literary fiction." Are we talkin' high-falutin' stuff or does this pretty much entail every genre under the sun?

Ah, Smiley. Sorry, girl. I'm a'gonna' check out your blog and find out about your trip to the Alps. I'll follow you soon.

F.M., I like The Light of Silver and Gold because of the reason Sage (sorry, Sage!) doesn't. To me, it's much warmer and more inviting than O.V.R. Then again, I'm not a big sci-fi guy so maybe I'm not the right person to be advising here.

Sage! Damn, if you're not a very busy gal. You're always querying or something. How do you find time?

Mel: what's tonight's horror film?

Bishop, what's up?

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Dangit, Bishop, make something happen! Go write something! Your kids are in bed, right (or is it a single child)?

Oh, by the way, Bishop, I more or less "polled" all the writer friends I (cybernetically) know and they say the preferred usage of toward vs. towards is "toward" in America. I'm just lettin' you know because the last time we chatted you were eating popcorn waiting for the answer and I didn't want you...well, you know, still sitting there eating popcorn.

F.M., even though I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, I love epic scale tales no matter the genre. I like the name of the prequel. If the characters are there, then I think it sounds like something I'd like to read regardless of genre. Great characters will make anything palatable to a reader who's not even into the genre you're writing.

This is a lesson for all you young whipper-snappers. The best kind of "promo" is good writing.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, Kansas, towards vs toward... I feel like that was also me? I have all "towards" in my novel and am making it "toward". I realized I changed my MS Word to Australian when I studied there but never changed it back!!!:roll:

Guys I am making my MC active in this scene. After 23 rejections from agents, 4 or 5 beta readers telling me the same thing, and 12.2 drafts, I am FINALLY getting the active vs passive thing. Gah......these revisions will never get done though, I am so slow! Does anyone know if an agent will care if an R&R never comes? ;) I kid. *crosses fingers I get it done before 2013*

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
You go, smiley!

Dangit, Bishop, make something happen! Go write something! Your kids are in bed, right (or is it a single child)?

Oh, by the way, Bishop, I more or less "polled" all the writer friends I (cybernetically) know and they say the preferred usage of toward vs. towards is "toward" in America. I'm just lettin' you know because the last time we chatted you were eating popcorn waiting for the answer and I didn't want you...well, you know, still sitting there eating popcorn.

F.M., even though I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, I love epic scale tales no matter the genre. I like the name of the prequel. If the characters are there, then I think it sounds like something I'd like to read regardless of genre. Great characters will make anything palatable to a reader who's not even into the genre you're writing.

This is a lesson for all you young whipper-snappers. The best kind of "promo" is good writing.

But I got no ideaaaaaaaaaas *whines* :'(

And good to know about the toward/s thing. Sounds best to me without the s.

I only have the one kid let, and she is at grandma's house tonight. Husband is asleep, and I'm all lonely.

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
Kansas- It has to be good and sound good, cause War of the Young is basically gonna be telling a YA audience that all the governmental programs their parents have won't be there for them and envisions them creating another Civil War over it. :0

Status
Not open for further replies.