Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I hope everyone's okay!

Has anyone got a USB stick that's retractable?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick check in. We r doing okay. As many of u may know Long Island and NJ were hit pretty badly. I feel terrible for those who lost so much. We r without power since yesterday at 6pm. 90% of Long Island is without power. Unheard of. But when I think of what others have lost (including loved ones and total loss of home and property) I am grateful for only losing electricity. They say we could b without power for 7-10 days. Girls had no school Monday and today and they have cancelled school for tomorrow as well.

Hope everyone is safe and doing okay!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you are safe, Mel. This storm was pretty scary. Today was windy in Wisconsin, an effect from the hurricane. There were warnings of 20 foot swells on Lake Michigan. That was nothing compared to what you faced. I stood out in that wind and imagined it 5X worse!

I worked on characters for my NaNo project today. I have my gang members set and the first 3/4 of the story mapped out.

Problem: I don't know how it ends! I have an idea of the people involved in the solution, but I don't know what they are going to do. On the upside, I built a pretty dire situation. Maybe it is better I don't know how they get out of it?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Mel! So glad you're okay!! Being without power that long sucks, especially in the cold! We went 9 or 10 days without it last year after a massive tornado.

They've got a mass of power trucks down here ready to travel to NY and NJ to help, they're just waiting on a location to head to first. So help is on the way!!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mel, I'm so glad to hear that you and your girls are safe. Power outages suck, but you're right, it could be so much worse. Keep safe and dry!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for the silence on my end. My parents in NJ don't have power so they're headed to Upstate NY to a friend's (apparently they have power/heat/etc). Also Halloween is cancelled in NJ and some parts of NYC. My friend's family in Long Island is stranded.

Basically, fun times for all.

On a better note (not....) I can't vote this year. My absentee ballot got screwed up even though I sent a request for it over 3 weeks ago. I called town hall, the next town over AND Obama headquarters. Town halls couldn't help me (they said stuff was already sent out? and they were haivng issues) and Obama HQ did not recognize my zip code. Legit. They said my zip code didn't exist :(

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, east coasters! Man, I can't believe how bad it is. I empathize having lived through several tornado attacks during my tour of duty in Kansas.

Mel! The power goes out here at least three times a year. Ah, Kansas. Glad to hear you're doing okay.

Dorothy! Congrats on the B&N preorder! I plan on buying it some time soon.

Smiley! That sucks! We need your vote, girl!

Happy Halloween everyone (for those who can enjoy it). To celebrate (besides yelling at children), I've interviewed a paranormal author on my blog about spooky stuff and such.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Can't decide whether to go to the write-in that starts at midnight in costume (I'm a writing fairy) or to stay home like a slightly saner person, then go to bed at a slightly sane time only to get up and go to my favorite cafe at, say, 7 for day 1 of NaNo. If I go to the midnight write-in, I will probably not sleep and then will go to my fave cafe about the same time

Leaning towards taking off the costume right this second. Although the kitty on my lap says "not quite yet"

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But I feel like I wore this costume all day long, and am going to miss the chance to be with the people who would get it.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Hi guys!

Sorry I've been so AWOL lately...I hate the term. I hate it a lot. The next two weeks have me finishing my dissertation proposal and writing two grant proposals at once for funding to finish my diss next year.

And I decided to do NaNo to knock out some work I promised others I'd do.

Also, I was in Ohio on Monday morning coming back from a conference and realized that Sandy was going to dump 2 feet of snow on West Virginia and Western Maryland, so I got up at 5 and drove directly at the storm for eight hours so I'd get home ahead of the thing.

Writing all these things in one post makes me realize that yep, I am insane.

But...

Welcome Laura!

And Dorothy, that's awesome about the pre-order! I'll write myself a reminder to shortlist a couple of copies into our store.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy, how cool to see that on B&N website:) I didn't realize your book was coming out in paperback too. Does Month9Books have a library market, too?

If I had a cool costume, I would wear it anywhere.

I saw Harold Underdown post on Twitter a costume idea of wearing 50 grey paint sample squares as a Halloween costume. LOL. I thought I'd be clever going out as a binder full of woman.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Welcome, Laura! :)

Dorothy! Congrats on the B&N preorder! I plan on buying it some time soon.

Thanks! I've made a note to check out your interview.

And Dorothy, that's awesome about the pre-order! I'll write myself a reminder to shortlist a couple of copies into our store.

Wow, cool! That's so awesome, thanks!

Dorothy, how cool to see that on B&N website:) I didn't realize your book was coming out in paperback too. Does Month9Books have a library market, too?

Not sure about the library market. I'll have to check. And yeah, all titles that are due to come out so far from M9B will be available in paperback and digital. Can wait until I get my shipment of ARCs! :D

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Laura!

That's awesome, Dorothy. I'm looking forward to reading your book. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on it somehow :)

Happy NaNo! I've gotten my book off to a start. Reached my daily minimum word count for the month (1,667), but it came fairly easily so I'm hoping to do a bit more later in the day.

Hope everyone is having a good day :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Laura!!!! Sup mama. :)

So we r going on day four of no power. My friend called LIPA (our electricity provider) and they told her it could b a few more days. I'm trying to stay positive but it's getting harder and harder. We have no heat. It's currently 60 degrees in our apt. I know that's not terrible but we usually keep it at 72 so it's uncomfortable for us. We also have no hot water so...

I had my girls sleep at a friends house last night but got a call at 4:30am that one of them was having stomach pains so I went to pick her up and she's cuddled next to me on the bed. My friend will drop off my other daughter in the morning. I'm drinking hot tea to warm up. At least we have a gas stove! But I finally had to empty my entire fridge last night.

Okay. That's my bitch session for the day. Lol.

Stiger! Where r those effing trucks. I swear all LIPA has done so far is "assess" the condition. Still sooooooo many people without power. And we weren't an area that was hit THAT badly. Grrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.