Swearing in MG?/SALLY has a steamboat!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sagana, did you learn the song in Kentucky?

If you say yes, I'm going to lose it.

But at least you didn't say Miss Suzie!

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
well, uh, yeah (doesn't really want you to lose it, but must tell the truth, and the like).

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh.

I grew up in Kentucky.

Which means I'm the weirdo. Not everyone else.

It's time to wave the flag.

:e2cry:

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Sheila, keep your story as is. The play on words is awesome! By the way, I loved Minion School in SYW. I read it to my 11 year old son and he loved it too. That was a couple of months ago. He just asked me about it the other day, because he wants to read it. I would like to tentatively offer our beta services when you're ready. The first chapter was so much fun!

As to Suzi, Sally and Lulu: I'm from Michigan and I distinctly remember Suzie. Lulu rings a bell, but maybe from something else. Sally? Sorry Smish, but Sally didn't feature in that song for me. Don't close me down, oh Mod God!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
In the sequel Lulu has a baby.

Miss Lucy had a baby. His name was Tiny Tim.
She put him in the bathtub to see if he could swim.
That wouldn't be the sequel you're thinking of, would it, Sagana?

Probably not. I'm free associating now. Time to turn off the computer and go watch Leno--Hubby says he is going to do a segment making fun of children's books ...?

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
We said Suzie when I was kid in the 90's and I live in Louisiana so you can't chalk it up to being a regions thing :) I love you anyway though!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Sheila, keep your story as is. The play on words is awesome! By the way, I loved Minion School in SYW. I read it to my 11 year old son and he loved it too. That was a couple of months ago. He just asked me about it the other day, because he wants to read it. I would like to tentatively offer our beta services when you're ready. The first chapter was so much fun!

Wow, thanks! I do believe I will take you up on that kind offer.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must say that I do find it rather amusing that Kentucky apparently had so many versions... and none of them were Miss Suzie. :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL @ wishful thinking of new thread title :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

And we've decided you're keeping "Shih-tzu", right?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are funny and I love you.

Slightly related stuff!

--WHEN YOU REACH ME, one of the most critically acclaimed MG in recent years, has "it scared the hell out of me" at one point. It's INCREDIBLY powerful in context.

--I have the word 'fag' in my MG. And 'damn,' but I'll cut that if necessary. I am going to fight for 'fag.' It's upper MG, but I'm realistic about the odds of it staying in. But I'm going to fight.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We love you too, Hannah. Can't wait to read your MG books.

I actually haven't read When You Reach Me, yet. It's on my list, though. I've just been on a YA kick for awhile now, and haven't been reading as much MG.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are funny and I love you.

Slightly related stuff!

--WHEN YOU REACH ME, one of the most critically acclaimed MG in recent years, has "it scared the hell out of me" at one point. It's INCREDIBLY powerful in context.

--I have the word 'fag' in my MG. And 'damn,' but I'll cut that if necessary. I am going to fight for 'fag.' It's upper MG, but I'm realistic about the odds of it staying in. But I'm going to fight.

Thanks for chiming in, Hannah! I loved When You Reach Me. So good.

Good luck with keeping 'fag' - it's a powerful word, filled with hate, and it would really go far characterize whoever uses it.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com

Good luck with keeping 'fag' - it's a powerful word, filled with hate, and it would really go far characterize whoever uses it.

Ah, middle school memories. Anyone else try the excuse on their teacher - "What? I'm just talking about a bundle of sticks..."

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Miss Lucy had a baby. His name was Tiny Tim.
She put him in the bathtub to see if he could swim.
That wouldn't be the sequel you're thinking of, would it, Sagana?

Probably not. I'm free associating now. Time to turn off the computer and go watch Leno--Hubby says he is going to do a segment making fun of children's books ...?

That is the one I meant. We free associate in the same directions, I'd guess :) I love the little old lady with the alligator purse.

Ah, middle school memories. Anyone else try the excuse on their teacher - "What? I'm just talking about a bundle of sticks..."

My kids could never get away with anything. I have two boys (many years apart) and both of them once chose to write one of those "choose your own topic" essays on swords. Both of them were dunned for including a bastard sword. Listen teachers, describing a bastard sword is NOT a childish attempt to curse :p

I've had words with several teachers. *scuffle*

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you. It's a super huge crazy moment in the book when it's used, and it's so much more powerful when the word is there...it's jarring, and it's supposed to be. Fingers so crossed I can make it work.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I think Shih-tzu is super funny! My only reservation would be it's a word that a lot of MGers aren't familiar with and won't know how to pronounce. The "tz" is tough.

I wouldn't be comfortable using the F word in any context, but if anyone can make it work in a constructive way, it's Shady Lane. :)