Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
That is a distinct possibility.... ;)
Then my work here is done. :)

Wait, I spoke too soon. . .
Spoiler alert.
You really capture the surreal nature of such an awful event. As an aside, I esp. liked this: ". . .the people in their windows, looking up from their nightly news to watch it happen live." I could see that. Good stuff, Anna.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Maybe we heard it, in hindsight. Maybe it had that faraway, pedestrian sound that absorbs into the others. Maybe because we were from the city, we’d heard it every day. Maybe we just weren’t listening.

And so we smelled it first—the coolant smell, the burning oil smell, the thick iron smell—all of us running in spite of our various ailments, sprinting with all of our might to the shitty old car and the street tree that had bent in the middle like a crooked old badger, ran for the hissing engine and the twisted metal, ran for our friend who might not be flat against the seat, mouth open, eyes closed, forehead grazed and bloodied where it had maybe hit a steering wheel instead of an air bag, her shitty old car, and Dave shouted, ‘Is it going to catch fire?’ and the oil sat in our mouths, the metallic taste of adrenalin, and dad pulled her from the car and lay her head on the nature strip, and Dave leaned close to her face and said, ‘She’s breathing,’ and everything moved slowly and quickly, not so slowly as to be unhelpful, but not so quickly that we couldn’t see the people in their windows, looking up from their nightly news to watch it happen live.

‘Someone call an ambulance!’

We all shouted at once, all shouted into the street to save her life, like we were in Horton Hears a Fucking Who.

I like this.

In other news: Dagger is a sh!t, but he's an adorable sh!t:

/////

“It was a mistake, what I did last night. I wanted to apologize.”

“Don’t blasted apologize,” I spat. “Your sorry isn’t my problem. I’m not sorry. I did what I did. So what.”

His shoulders sagged while he looked into the branches for help. “Perry, you maybe weren’t virgin, but…” His eyes dropped to mine, hazel and pleading for gentleness. “I want you to know that I was.”

My jaw fell. “How old are you?”

“Nineteen springtimes.”

Grace, he was younger than me. I rocked my head, turning this way and that, to find an escape route. Apparently interpreting it as a softening of my mood, he stepped nearer.

“Last night was not only my first bedding, but my first battle.” He stretched a queasy grin. “I acquitted myself badly in both. I’ll strive to do better, in future.” He clenched his jaw, taking another step closer. “It’s no excuse, but after the one, I found I didn’t want to die without having done the other.”

Tears had come to my sore eyes. I sniffed, pressing the heel of one hand underneath them to dislodge the moisture without smearing it. He took the opportunity to lightly fold his arms around me, and the blanket, and his spare shirt.

That would have to do, then. I rested my cheek on his shoulder while the grief rolled through me. Too much had happened, for me to process. Too much had happened to him, also, I could see that. A man he might be, but a young one, and a vulnerable one. His hand skimmed over my hair.

“You’re a rare woman, Perry. No matter what happens in the future, I want you to know that I think so… and to know that I’m proud to have… known you, as I have.”

“Dagger,” I breathed, dabbing my eyes on his slubbed linen shoulder. “I can’t help you right now. I’m sorry.”

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I like this.

In other news: Dagger is a sh!t, but he's an adorable sh!t:

Well, is this ever an interesting bit. Dagger reacts to Perry not like someone he's had intimate relations with, but like she's his mother. There's a sort of asking-for-protection mechanism going on here that isn't like between lovers. (And it feels right, so this is not a complaint. Their relationship seems pretty damn complex.) And a bit of manipulation from Dagger, methinks.

At least that's what I got from it; your perversions may vary. :D

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Oh golly, Dagger is so complicated. I am writing his story so that you see exactly why he does all the rotten things he does, and you feel for him, but they're still not acceptable.

Dagger tries to explain his wife, somewhat later in the story:

/////

“We were orphans together in the second ward. We were each other’s nearest thing to family. It near broke her heart when I was fostered into the Bear’s Ward. She remained at the orphanage another three years, and when she was taken up, it… it wasn’t by good people.” He checked the roundhouse to see if anyone was coming; the whites of his eyes briefly showed in the dim light. “The father and the brother of the family, they both… used her. As men shouldn’t use a child.”

That took me aback. “Is that what her ‘trauma after-the-fact’ is about?”

“Aye, and don’t be taking it lightly. She has lived through things no one should be made to live through. I married her the day she turned sixteen, to take her away from it, but… the damage had been done.”

“And she still won’t let you touch her?”

There was a beat of silence. “No. And I don’t particularly want to. She’s more sister to me than wife, ken?”

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
And so we smelled it first—the coolant smell, the burning oil smell, the thick iron smell—all of us running in spite of our various ailments, sprinting with all of our might to the shitty old car and the street tree that had bent in the middle like a crooked old badger, ran for the hissing engine and the twisted metal, ran for our friend who might not be flat against the seat, mouth open, eyes closed, forehead grazed and bloodied where it had maybe hit a steering wheel instead of an air bag, her shitty old car, and Dave shouted, ‘Is it going to catch fire?’ and the oil sat in our mouths, the metallic taste of adrenalin, and dad pulled her from the car and lay her head on the nature strip, and Dave leaned close to her face and said, ‘She’s breathing,’ and everything moved slowly and quickly, not so slowly as to be unhelpful, but not so quickly that we couldn’t see the people in their windows, looking up from their nightly news to watch it happen live.

Now that is how to use the never-ending, almost run-on sentence -- it just tumbles over itself on and on until...

‘Someone call an ambulance!’

...this brings us up short, like one of those dolly shots that almost slams into a wall but barely stops in time. Nice technique.

We all shouted at once, all shouted into the street to save her life, like we were in Horton Hears a Fucking Who.

Heh, that's a helluva reference.

BTW is a 'street tree' a lamp post? that's what I got from it.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh golly, Dagger is so complicated. I am writing his story so that you see exactly why he does all the rotten things he does, and you feel for him, but they're still not acceptable.

Dagger tries to explain his wife, somewhat later in the story:

/////

“We were orphans together in the second ward. We were each other’s nearest thing to family. It near broke her heart when I was fostered into the Bear’s Ward. She remained at the orphanage another three years, and when she was taken up, it… it wasn’t by good people.” He checked the roundhouse to see if anyone was coming; the whites of his eyes briefly showed in the dim light. “The father and the brother of the family, they both… used her. As men shouldn’t use a child.”

That took me aback. “Is that what her ‘trauma after-the-fact’ is about?”

“Aye, and don’t be taking it lightly. She has lived through things no one should be made to live through. I married her the day she turned sixteen, to take her away from it, but… the damage had been done.”

“And she still won’t let you touch her?”

There was a beat of silence. “No. And I don’t particularly want to. She’s more sister to me than wife, ken?”

Wow, great stuff here Katharine, and in your previous excerpt too.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
^^ Totally agree, Panda Man. She is on a roll.

I'm reading through Cherry and just came to this. *Language/Mature* <-- Maybe this novel should have that tattooed on its arse, as they say. . . :)

I drove to Veronica Street and Kelp last night, parked on Veronica and watched Steve work for a while, which was unsettling, but what did I expect? It’s what he does. Who am I to—
Fuck it. Screw it.
He serviced three customers before walking over to my van. “Hi, Mr. Bee,” he said. He was smiling that damn lopsided grin of his and I—
Hell with it.
He said, “I saw you there but I got busy.”
No shit, Steve. Asshole.
“Can I come in?”
“Sure,” I said. “Climb aboard, matey.” I was trying to ignore my anger or jealousy or whatever the hell it was, but my jovial response masked the pain of a heart this close to shattering.
Did I really just write that crap?
Don’t answer that.

Last edited:

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
I have so been there, kkbe. You're so angry and frustrated (and in my case, young and stupid) that you don't know if the guy is doing the right thing by tending to his job first, or if he's being an ass for not dropping everything the second you show up. You suspect the first, but you really want the second.

TeamWingless

Years to build and moments to ruin
Registered
Reaction score
Here's one from a piece that landed me a gig writing a web series (that fell through...drats).

...Scatterframes of nanobytes swirled around in cykene kinesis like fox tails, neon slipstreams racing through flow-wire circutry, fraying the nanoform of iNet...

I wrote a whole piece like that and it got some recognition, so I'm pretty proud of myself.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have so been there, kkbe. You're so angry and frustrated (and in my case, young and stupid) that you don't know if the guy is doing the right thing by tending to his job first, or if he's being an ass for not dropping everything the second you show up. You suspect the first, but you really want the second.
Ahh, Katherine. The pain of youth sometimes cuts like a knife.

*sigh*

But in the aforementioned scene, the narrator is a twice-divorced, middle-aged asshole named Dave, who just watched his boyfriend--

I probably should've prefaced that scene. Sorry about that.

*sigh*

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Whoooooops! The hazards of non-framing. Because I felt exactly that way about an awful lot of my college boyfriends, at one point or another.
The whoops in on me. Some things are universal. Uncertainty. Embarrassment. Regret. If a writer can tap that. . .

Just putting a spin on my gaffe, K.T. :)

Last edited:

Trip F.

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a piece fresh off the keyboard that I think showcases what sort of character my MC is. In it, she's just used an automatic shotgun to defend herself from an assassin in her small apartment, and is contemplating the fallout. It'll probably get retooled or cut in the following drafts but I like the voice in it.

--------

This was a fine mess. An attempt on my life in my own apartment. It would bring the civies, and worse, reporters. Any semblance of anonymity I had maintained before was doomed to be shattered in the most public way possible. The whole damn city could know I was an artificial by noon tomorrow, and that wasn’t the sort of thing I wanted getting out.

The neighbors were conspicuously absent thus far. I wondered when they’d get off their floors and poke their heads out, trying to see where all that “gunfire” business had come from. A bunch of prying eyes and looky-loos, exactly what I needed in my life right after somebody tried to kill me.

I put my hands over my face, slowly dragging them downward, as though I could peel away the last ten minutes. No such luck. The corpse of my would be assassin was still there, mocking me as it leaked all over my floor. Great.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
kkbe has posted again, and therefore so must I.

It's early morning, still dark. Mary is on her way home after celebrating her twenty-first birthday. She's driving an old VW Bug with a dying battery through a deserted part of town. A car has been following her. When she stops at a stop sign, the Bug dies.
===

...She glanced in the mirror and saw headlights approaching. Get out and ask for help? She thought about it, decided no. Too scared.
...“Come on, Birthday Gods.” She pumped the gas and tried again, again with no luck, the battery almost dead. “Please.”
...The headlights approached at a crawl, filling her little car with light, then stopped about ten feet behind the Bug, blinded her when she looked in her mirrors. She felt the low rumble of an idling V8 then heard a car door slam. She pushed the locks down on both doors and turned the key once more. The engine made two slow revolutions and quit.
...Three quick taps on her side window made her jump and she turned her head that way. One look at the face on the other side of the glass and her stomach knotted.
...Ronald Bishop said, “Hey, lady, you need some help?”
...“No . . . no, I’m okay.”
...“I think your battery’s dead.”
...“No, it’ll start,” Mary said and reached for the key.
...The window shattered, showering Mary with Safety Glass.
...Mary screamed.

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Did old VW Bugs have Safety Glass?

Good question. I know the ones in the 70s had SG windshields, so I assume they had SG side windows too. Truth is, I'm not really sure. I'll have to do more research. But it's no big deal. Easy enough to change. I'll just make it glass if I have to.

And, yeah, Mary's SOL for most of the story.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Really enjoying everything posted here. Sometimes I feel like complimenting people, but I'd be lavishing praise on the same people over and over.

A longer scene, because why not. Context: the narrator is telling this story to a new pal.
I was fourteen when the Aryan Brotherhood snatched me up off the streets. I didn’t quite grasp what they were, at first. They talked about unity, honor, social structure, that kind of thing. They sell it to you that way. And mostly, all they did was kill zombies. I never saw the other stuff.

Then they dragged in Joan, only I didn’t know her then. Hands down, she was the most interesting person I’d ever seen. A woman—a woman—wearing military clothes, braids torn, face bruised. She walked like a queen, and when a man spit on her, she smiled like it debased him.

They shut her in a cage and set me to guarding her. She screamed for the first few hours, but she stopped once her voice started to crack. I snuck her water, and after a couple days, we got to talking. Zombies, the bombings, the outside world—didn't matter what. It was talk or go crazy.

My superiors told me that women were either nice and or bitchy. Virgins or whores. Joan was everything. She always had something sensible to say, and she listened when I talked, got patient with me when I was wrong. She was smart, too. A military engineer.

Then one day one of my superiors came by with the key. Told me to get her out and take her to the other guys. I asked why, and he said stress relief with a big, stretched-out grin.

I’ll never forget the look on Joan’s face right then. Just went all slack. My superiors always said that it was important to protect women because women were weak. That wasn’t true at all. I wanted to protect Joan because right then, she mattered to me more than anything else in the world.

So I shot my superior in the face.
___​

When I finished telling my story, Salem looked at me funny. “Jesus, Dane. Did he die?”

“What do you mean, did he die?" I said. "I shot him in the goddamn face.”

Last edited:

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Today is my one year writing anniversary. I sat down right here one year ago today and began my first novel.

Those paragraphs were roundly trashed in the SYW area, but I still like them. Let's post them here for old time's sake.

/////

We opened our eyes, and were dazzled. We closed them and instead breathed the air, fragrant and alive with mystery. It was green and damp, warm, sweet, heavy with leaf-mould and tinged with musk. We were so overcome by the smells that we forgot our eyes, forgot our ears, so at first we didn’t hear the swishing of wind in the trees or the far-away roar of waterfalls. We didn’t hear the squirrels run from us or the chickadees cease to sing. We didn’t hear each other breathe.

One by one we cracked our eyelids open again. The initial golden throb settled into a dancing fantasy of white, brown, and the thousand colors of green: the sycamore green and oak-leaf green, the dogwood green, the crabapple green, the top-leaf green and bottom-leaf green, the green of lichens clinging inside wrinkled tree bark and the lush, sweet green of moss at our feet. When we had done seeing green we began to see movement. Dogwood cotton filtered down from the trees. Dutchman’s Breeches rattled in the breeze. A black squirrel scolded us from his branch.

I smiled.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
When I finished telling my story, Salem looked at me funny. “Jesus, Dane. Did he die?”

“What do you mean, did he die?" I said. "I shot him in the goddamn face.”

LOL! That was a perfect way to end that really tense scene with some comic relief. Sort of reminds me of the henchmen in the Mummy Returns:
'Get out of my way or I'm gonna shoot you in the face'
'He means it, he shot someone before...'

Loved it :D

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
...Ronald Bishop said, “Hey, lady, you need some help?”
...“No . . . no, I’m okay.”
...“I think your battery’s dead.”
...“No, it’ll start,” Mary said and reached for the key.
...The window shattered, showering Mary with Safety Glass.
...Mary screamed.

Oooh, that was tense as well. So many scenes that make me want to read on to find out what happens. In this one, mainly because I want to know 'who is Ronald Bishop and why is he such an asshole??' :D

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
Today is my one year writing anniversary. I sat down right here one year ago today and began my first novel.

Those paragraphs were roundly trashed in the SYW area, but I still like them. Let's post them here for old time's sake.

/////

We opened our eyes, and were dazzled. We closed them and instead breathed the air, fragrant and alive with mystery. It was green and damp, warm, sweet, heavy with leaf-mould and tinged with musk. We were so overcome by the smells that we forgot our eyes, forgot our ears, so at first we didn’t hear the swishing of wind in the trees or the far-away roar of waterfalls. We didn’t hear the squirrels run from us or the chickadees cease to sing. We didn’t hear each other breathe.

One by one we cracked our eyelids open again. The initial golden throb settled into a dancing fantasy of white, brown, and the thousand colors of green: the sycamore green and oak-leaf green, the dogwood green, the crabapple green, the top-leaf green and bottom-leaf green, the green of lichens clinging inside wrinkled tree bark and the lush, sweet green of moss at our feet. When we had done seeing green we began to see movement. Dogwood cotton filtered down from the trees. Dutchman’s Breeches rattled in the breeze. A black squirrel scolded us from his branch.

I smiled.

Happy Anniversary! :partyguy:

Cool and green and shady. Just the way I like it.