Favorite lines you've written

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
“I’m going to call an orderly,” Matthew said. He was certain there must be one somewhere in this hospital. At least he hoped he was in a hospital. If he were having these hallucinations somewhere other than the safety of a padded room, he was in more trouble than he thought.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
My name is Onen Napal. I was born seventy-three years, four months and sixteen days ago, and tomorrow I will be executed. This is my story.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
This thread is a lot of fun to read. Mad Queen's line actually applies to my MC, whom I'll quote: The truth is, I don't mind chatty women. Hell, if I know for sure I'm gonna get laid, I can listen to a woman talk about her manicure for three hours.

He's a real Prince Charmless.
‘Thinking outside the box is a dangerous advice. There are boxes within boxes. If you think outside the innermost box, you are creative. Go any further and you are an eccentric, someone who causes a certain discomfort. Break out of all boxes and you are a sociopath.’

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My MC being introspective:

Still. Why me? What really frustrates me is the job is so thankless. No one in the normal world even knows I’m substituting for the gods. All their prayers, all their requests, everything still are sent to the regular gods' voice mails.

Just once I’d like to be able to get some credit for the sunrise or for the crops. Just once I’d like to hear “TAIF! Thanks Alex its Friday!” But no, I can’t reveal my godhood to anyone. Sorry, that came out a little lewd sounding, didn’t it?

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is a lot of fun to read. Mad Queen's line actually applies to my MC, whom I'll quote: The truth is, I don't mind chatty women. Hell, if I know for sure I'm gonna get laid, I can listen to a woman talk about her manicure for three hours.
:eek: We could be writing about the same character. My MC listens to this woman talk about her colleague and even though she's boring him to tears, he doesn't interrupt her for a long time because he wants to get laid. But eventually he can't stand it anymore and tells her what he really thinks and ruins the date.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK, its actually several lines but we don't have a Favorite Scenes You've Written thread. ;)

“I just put you within the protection of my aura. Whatever spell your brother used on you can’t get through.”

“Now what?”

“I don’t know. I can’t keep my spell up forever.”

“Isn’t there anything you can do? I don’t want to become his slave again.” She shuddered at the thought of being under his control again.

“Well, I only know of one thing.”

“What’s that?”

“Sex magic. But I’m kind of exhausted.”

“Alex, if it’ll break the spell, you have to do it.”

As much as I complain, there are some days I just love my job.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Well, my MC is a bit worse than a guy who'll ruin a date with the truth. He's on death row when the story opens. :D But your line about out-of-box thinking = sociopath definitely applies to him.

:eek: We could be writing about the same character. My MC listens to this woman talk about her colleague and even though she's boring him to tears, he doesn't interrupt her for a long time because he wants to get laid. But eventually he can't stand it anymore and tells her what he really thinks and ruins the date.

Mad Queen

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my MC is a bit worse than a guy who'll ruin a date with the truth. He's on death row when the story opens. :D But your line about out-of-box thinking = sociopath definitely applies to him.
:eek: again. Our characters are one and the same. My MC ends up in prison for multiple murders. He's not on death row because there's no death penalty in the UK. What was your MC's profession before he was arrested?

Telstar

I create people
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked this one that i wrote this morning:

"It doesn't change anything. Really! Doesn't matter if you try to get into pants instead of gowns."

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
He was a bagman/enforcer for a drug dealer. Basically, a professional killer. Of his profession, he says, "I was never good at following complicated instructions. There's a reason I ended up doing what I did--simple directions."

:eek: again. Our characters are one and the same. My MC ends up in prison for multiple murders. He's not on death row because there's no death penalty in the UK. What was your MC's profession before he was arrested?

Mad Queen

Registered
Reaction score
So our MCs are different characters after all. :)

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
"...I always liked to believe that at some point I might like to go back to England. You know, rediscover my roots, see if I couldn’t do something positive with what’s left of my life. That is if it’s not going to be all ‘it’s the end of the world’ and ‘repent now to save your soul’ with all the bishops and such issuing proclamations of how we’re apt to burn in hell if we don’t change our evil ways. That’s one thing about the British, you know. They can be so self-righteous at times, especially when things are going badly.”

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We lay smoking together on the bed afterward, not cigarettes, we were literally smoking. The phenomenon is caused by the thin layer of ectoplasm that is drawn to the body during the sex magic ritual. As the ceremony intensifies, the heat from the sex and the power from the magic cause the ectoplasm to vaporize. This is where the term “steaming hot sex” comes from. Honest.

sharla

What's up??
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharlalovelace.com
Movement in my peripheral vision caught my attention. A roach heading across the room. Not the petite little creepies that come around food and garbage. A big water-bug-cockroach-palmetto-bug—I don’t care what you call it; it’s a small dinosaur with wings.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
His eyes wandered downhill. The Swallow was smothered with moon-shadows from nearby trees, while the snow on the hill glowed as though white neon tubes burned beneath. A sharp freezing wind made his eyes water and the inside of his nose tingle. Trevor looked upward into the moving air, letting the chill of it cut the apprehension building within him.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The voice inside his head—his voice—sounded as though it were coming from another room; another room in a cheap motel maybe, with very thin walls, but another room nonetheless.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And this is from a few paragraphs later:
Now even his own voice sounded as though it came from down the hall. He had experienced dying before, the feeling was familiar; one that neither asked for nor expected any sort response or reaction, merely cooperation.

sharla

What's up??
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharlalovelace.com
I hate having to bounce around on a food holiday, I like to hurt myself in one location and then roll to an appropriate spot to unsnap my jeans and digest all fat and happy in a horizontal bloated sprawl.

Annalaise duChat

She's Ba-aack
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of partial to this one from my WIP:

The youthful reflection in the mirror belied the old soul that dwelt within. Only the eyes gave it away, showing more damage and pain than the twenty-three-year-old staring back at him could have lived long enough to endure. He studied the reflection, searching as he did nightly for a reason to go on with this drama that was his life. No new enlightenment was to be found. The only change, it seemed, was the venue.