The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
morning purgies!

{ink} not lame at all. sounds like a big PITA (albeit a yummy one). *rasperries, please*

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. Blowing off everything to take daughter to fun-fair. This means I won't have a weekend, probably :) as I have 1300 words due on Monday. But she's with her dad this w/e, so I may as well work, right?

Feeling very irresponsible. Also came up with middle-of-night plan to leave NY last night. Or at least to leave Manhattan.

*rubs hands together*
*plots*
*schemes*

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm busy dithering about a flat. Liked the place, didn't like the agency fees.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

About the only thing that is promising today is that there are fights to watch tonight. Guess you'll know where I'll be. :)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people editing (pre-q, not because someone with a checkbook in hand told me to). I'm working on the last of my POV characters, and she's witty/snarky, and so I have to be funny on demand. It's easy to be funny inappropriately in public, but somehow much harder when it Means Something to Novel. Like someone pointing a gun at you and demanding "say something funny! Right now!" Uhhhhhhhhh, says my brain.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
phoenix, how's the pup?

Blond, I'm with Becky. Start somewhere easy and nibble your way in. (porkchop)

Congrats to you both, Lily and Mr. Lily.

Re the arrived discussion: I'm good at delayed gratification, but I've learned the target moves when I get there, or that it doesn't necessarily make me feel any different. I try to be more about the daily and weekly process, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Haupe}}} It's a difficult tightrope to walk. We've been there. Good luck.

Are you able to talk to her about BC? I'm blunt with my offspring, and have no problem with The Glare and "Two forms of protection. ALWAYS. NO EXCEPTIONS EVER. And let me tell you how an unexpected child will change your lives and your wallets."

My mother never could talk to me in that way. She always got too embarrassed.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Oh yes, thanks, Lily. We're very open. She's about as prepared as a person could be. Knowledge-wise, that is.

ETA: I'm being too chatty about her business. Going to do some editing, but thanks for listening.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
G'morning, purgies!

I'll never catch up after 4 days off, will I? :rolleyes:

Boston was loverly, and the Melting Pot was ridiculously filling, as always. The comedian-hypnotist was, um... interesting. I have to hope that some of the people who ended up on stage after the screening thingies were plants, because if not -- well. I definitely won't ever be volunteering myself for that experience, I know that much.

Some people did some very interesting things up in that stage. o_0

Also, speed boat tours of the harbor FTW! And I got to fly home on an 8-seater Cessna, which was surprisingly awesome.

So yay for good weekends. :D

{{Ink}} My sympathies. Having a big garden is a lot of work.

Yay for Mr. Lily!!

Re: dishwashers, I love mine. Love. I would use it to clean my fridge drawers if I could.

Re: arriving, I'm not sure I have a definition of that -- the goal posts keep moving, mostly because I keep moving them. It's definitely an intangible for me, rather than the 2-car garage, jacuzzi tub, and remodeled kitchen (though yes, I want those things) or the shiny new job where I actually get to use my degree the way I'd planned to (though I definitely want that too, and pretty badly). It's not even holding my published book in my hands, though that tops my list most of the time. That sense of accomplishment I'm looking for is fleeting: it will pop up at moments like this and be fabulous, but will be just out of my reach again a day later.

I think this is a good thing, though it's often frustrating.

I'm happy more than half of the time; I know I have a pretty good life in most of the ways that matter, and I am so grateful for that. But even when it makes me miserable, I think it's good to have something to work toward that isn't easy (or even particularly likely, for that matter). I suspect I'd be pretty bored if I didn't.

Of course, I could be weird. :D

I'm so stressed I think I've actually paralyzed myself from tackling these revisions. Joy.

~*tacklehug*~

You can dooo eeeet! :e2cheer:

Anywhar, off to catch up, or at least try to. :)

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
I'm happy more than half of the time; I know I have a pretty good life in most of the ways that matter, and I am so grateful for that. But even when it makes me miserable, I think it's good to have something to work toward that isn't easy (or even particularly likely, for that matter). I suspect I'd be pretty bored if I didn't.

Of course, I could be weird. :D
Hypnotist sounds fun!

And this is me, sunna. I have to be challenging myself or I'm restless.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people editing (pre-q, not because someone with a checkbook in hand told me to). I'm working on the last of my POV characters, and she's witty/snarky, and so I have to be funny on demand. It's easy to be funny inappropriately in public, but somehow much harder when it Means Something to Novel. Like someone pointing a gun at you and demanding "say something funny! Right now!" Uhhhhhhhhh, says my brain.

This is so true. Comedy (for me) is situational, and often absurd or very dry. In books, since you're generating the situation, the humor can feel horribly contrived and out-of-rhythm. (In the past, I've sometimes made inappropiate or unintentionally hurtful RL jokes, just because I didn't want the opportunity for laughs--success--to pass by. I try to give a lot more consideration to my audience now.)

So when people ask me when I'm going to write a funny book, I look at the one I wrote and kinda flap my hand weakly in its general direction. "there are...funny bits. I...think...*murflegloken*"

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Haupe, i'm with you, the target moves. I feel fortunate for the things I have, but I still dream about goofy things like having a conservatory, and living somewhere nice and cool in the summer, where i could be outside without baking. Also, no visible neighbors would be nice. :)

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of with Rab on the "arrived" thing. Outside of writing, I have it pretty good, except for my health, which is starting to take a lot of time and effort to maintain. But it sure beats the alternative. :)

My teaching is very fulfilling. Just last night, I got an email from a former student thanking me for the tools I'd taught her, as they were helping her immensely in summer classes. That email is worth more than any rejection or negative opinion of my writing.

As far as writing goes, right now I'm back to my lemonade and rose-colored glasses after an extremely painful month. I've been unable to work on any of my projects, except the column I write, but I've decided I deserve better and so does my writing.

When I broke it down to numbers, I realized that only 2-3 agents actually read the whole book (or so they claimed). So, I'm not going to judged my work by them. Especially since they only sent form rejections.

Of the four publishers I sent to, so far only one has read it and rejected. I was pushing my luck sending to them because they tend to be more romance and mine has elements, but is firmly UF. Two publishers who had partials requested the full very quickly and the fourth has about a three month turn-around. That's pretty good, as far as I'm concerned. 50% liked the sample enough to ask for more. I'll take that as some validation of my work.

No, these aren't Big Six Publishers, but I honestly don't care. I'd much rather be published with ePub/small press during my lifetime than some unspecified future I might not be around to see. My goal is to get published and hopefully have some people who like my work.

Of the ten people (outside of agents and publishers) who've read it, only one did not like it. The other nine loved it and have repeatedly nagged me for Book 2. These are all folks I picked who would give me honest opinions. That means 90% of people in favor. Again, I'll take it. I don't expect everyone to like my work, but hopefully more will than won't. If I can keep a majority, then that's ok, too. I figure anything over 50% is a win.

I write to entertain - myself and hopefully others. If someone likes my work enough to publish, then I'll be happy. If not, then I'll SP and I'll still be happy.

Everyone in Purgatory is worthy of being published. Everyone here works hard, agonizes over their work and strives to make it the best they can. Everyone here has a story to tell that will mean something to someone else. Everyone here deserves to be treated with courtesy and respect, regardless of what point they are at in their writing journeys.

Arrived? Pfft. I've already arrived. I wrote a book. And finished it. Rewrote it ad nauseum until my betas pronounced it ready to send out into the world. And so far a few people like it. If I'm lucky, a few more will read it once it's published and also like it. Life's too short to worry or hope for anything else.

ETA: I have lemonade, several lemon recipe foods and rose-colored glasses over here in this corner for anyone who'd like to join me. :D

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
In preparation for my eventual "arrived" goal (house on a lake), I told kiddo yesterday that his job at RIT will be to design a force field that will keep out mosquitoes and black flies from said lake house. Since he looks forward to fishing at this house, this gives incentive. :D

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Sunna, sounds like an awesome night.

Haupe, you have it well covered. Your kids are very lucky to have you.

Oh, those silly goal posts, always moving! I guess I'm a bit opposite because I keep moving closer to the goal posts as I revise my expectations downward. I was sort of joking about thinking I've made it, but also not. I have goals for myself, but I'm pretty happy where I am and with what I've done, even if it does not appear to be success to others. And in some ways, that's a bit of a problem. I don't want more stuff or more responsibility or a great job title or another degree. I would take another book contract, but I don't expect to ever "make it" based on external markers.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to ask tas what the "arrived" topic meant. Was having a difficult time understanding.

When I was younger I had firm set goals of things I wanted to have or "arrive" at, but now not so much anymore. Even my writing has less firm goals. I would love to eventually be making some money, even a little, but I don't need a lot. I'm starting to make plans to down size everything so I need less money. And truthfully to walk into a book store and see my name sitting on a shelf would be so much more beautiful to me then having money (I don't know if it is pathetic or not but every time I go into a book store I find where my name would be and slide my finger into that spot).

When I was 18 I had these solid step by step arrival goals and ideas and wishes. I'm 28 and now I don't. I want to be free flowing in everything. I want to touch and see and do and experience everything I can. I want it to come down to that Death has to chase me down and drag me to the ground fighting. So maybe my arrival in my current stage of existence is to never arrive. That could change, but right now I don't want to Arrive.

ETA: I would also like to add that just 7 or 8 months ago I had more arrival goals then I do now. As I become more happy with who and what I truly am the less I care about those things.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
All the talk of goals just reminds me how restless I am right now. I want to be able to make PLANS, I want to have a purpose and a direction, and right now, I just feel like I don't. I want to be able to leave this job within the next 5 years, but in order to have writing money coming in THEN, I need to get the sales NOW, and....

*sigh*

ETA: Caleb - the finding your place on the bookshelf thing? We've all done that. Every single one of us. Promise.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Morning purgies.

Love the "arrived" conversation. It changes at different points in my life. When I was growing up in a hellhole, my "arrival" was a magic number - 23. If I could survive to be 23, I was convinced life would be okay after that. Reasons why are too personal, but it was such a sticking point in my mind that when I turned 23, I truly couldn't believe that I'd made. When I turned 24, I was terrified because I'd been focused on nothing else for so long. A real, what happens now moment?

Now, I set goals. I would love to be at the top of my genre, sitting along side the folks I admire at cons. It's a great dream and a goal, but I don't need it to feel like I've "arrived". For me, it's been about living the best you can, even when life sucks. That's having "arrived".

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Caleb, every time I walk into a bookstore or a library, I look for my books. Every. Single. Time. I'm actually happy when I don't see them in the library, because that means someone's reading them. :)

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's booze o'clock. What happened to the bar anyway? It's covered in uh, well, I don't want to get too close and find out. People need stop washing their underwear in the sink, and let's leave it at that.

This place is going to hell, I tell ya.

:ROFL:

*looks around*
*sneakily takes underwear out of sink*

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
This is so true. Comedy (for me) is situational, and often absurd or very dry. In books, since you're generating the situation, the humor can feel horribly contrived and out-of-rhythm. (In the past, I've sometimes made inappropiate or unintentionally hurtful RL jokes, just because I didn't want the opportunity for laughs--success--to pass by. I try to give a lot more consideration to my audience now.)

So when people ask me when I'm going to write a funny book, I look at the one I wrote and kinda flap my hand weakly in its general direction. "there are...funny bits. I...think...*murflegloken*"

I used to say -- in fact I think I "learned" this in a dream, you know, like a dream-fact? that isn't really true, but is totally convincing during your dream? -- that sometimes when you DON'T tell a joke, the joke particles just float around in the air, whereas telling a joke catalyzes them and they drift harmlessly down to the earth.

And those un-catalyzed joke particles are what cause insomnia and cancer and lots of other known diseases and ailments. *nodnod*

Status
Not open for further replies.