Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My brain decided I was done aging at 23. This is probably why I am constantly being shocked at how old I am. (Which is not that much older, but still!) Something will remind me of how long it's been since [whatever], and I'm like, wait. No. That can't be-- oh CRAP I'm old!

We went out and hung out on the Berkeley campus on MLK Jr day (since nothing's in session). There were some college students hanging around, and mentally I still see myself looking and acting pretty much like that.

Aaaaaand then two of them asked my husband and I if we had keys to the building we were in front of. Because we looked like professors.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Power went out around noon, and is mostly back on, except for the heat, water heater, and stovetop. I need to take a shower but I don't waaaannnnnna.

Had enough of freezing cold showers as a kid.

ETA: And I wouldn't be 23 again. What an uncomfortable, liminal age.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Jo- that is similar to me. I'm 28, but tonight I went to the movies wearing my unicorn hoodie (it has a tail and a horn). I swear, I'll never grow up.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
ETA: And I wouldn't be 23 again. What an uncomfortable, liminal age.

That's the irony, I guess. When I actually talk to someone that age and in the same situation I was at that age... it's like, oh thank God I'm beyond that now.

But my brain still thinks I'm 23. :D

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I mean, I still feel about ten years younger than I am, maturity-wise. But that's still not 23 :D

It always surprises me that I'm the age I am, because I don't feel the way I always I assumed I would. Different. People make this big hairy deal about getting older, but aging and changing is such a continuum, most of that awareness comes from outside.* "You're 40, now we give up the cute skirts and go for more elegant." "Don't you think long hair is a little...young for you?"

Eh, whatever. External pressure can kiss my ass-which-is-not-where-it-was-20-years-ago, and-thank-god, because-that-would-be-weird-for-my-boobs. I'm just now getting to where I can afford to have some of the things I enjoy, and time can't ruin that for me.

The only thing that really freaks me out is that I thought I'd be much farther into actually having some sort of career by now. But that has nothing to do with my age, just luck and choices.

*other than age-related aches and pains, etc. Perception of aging, and "rules" I mean.

Last edited:

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was some lukewarm water left in the water heater! Hurrah!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be in my 20's again. They were fine, but in hindsight, nah.

I definitely don't feel my age and I hate when they tell you what you can't wear anymore. Although I must say, I cringe when I see anyone over 30 wearing barrettes or bows in their hair. I don't mean to offend if someone here does. It just gives me the heebie jeebies. My best friend does it. *cringe*

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I admit sometimes I wonder if I can get away with a sparkly clip, because I'm just not sure if it looks juvenile or not, haha.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I admit sometimes I wonder if I can get away with a sparkly clip, because I'm just not sure if it looks juvenile or not, haha.

It would probably look cute on you, Clovia. I'm sure there are people who can pull it off. My best friend? No. Just. No. Then again, as I have no fashion sense whatsover, I'm sure I'm probably wrong.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there might be a regional difference in what's considered a "barrette" too.

I should go to bed. I'm type-babbling.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
Although I must say, I cringe when I see anyone over 30 wearing barrettes or bows in their hair. I don't mean to offend if someone here does. It just gives me the heebie jeebies.

I know what to get Cricket next Christmas...

ribbon_zps78d335d0.jpg

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

I can tell I'm not 23 because when I woke up I mysteriously burst a blood vessel or something in my eye. I can't feel it but it looks really bad and I have a couple important meetings today. So yay, maybe I can use it to frighten or intimidate people.

My 20s were pretty golden. I had trouble after college -- underemployment, living with parents, lost. Everyone else I knew had moved on but I hadn't. But when I was 23 things fell together pretty well and stayed that way.

My current age is OK. If I had more money and success, it would be even better.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Sorry about the eye, Kel :(

23 was okay for me, not great but okay. 25-27 sucked pickled brontosaurus eggs.

So far, Monday started with a 6:15AM kitty spat. Hopefully, nowhere to go but up?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you feeling young and poor, or even just poor and thinking about taxes, don't forget to check into the earned income tax credit. Apparently a lot of people, especially people without kids, don't realize they qualify for this even though it covers some middle income earners.

(kel)) that happens to my husband once in a while. I wish I knew what caused it.

Rab, glad you survived the birthday party. The craziest one we every had was called the wild art party where I let the kids paint the grass and trees and rocks in our yard, and spatter water balloons filled with paint on the driveway. It got a little out of hand when they started painting each other's hair. Some of the parents weren't too happy with me.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm alive! No thanks to the roads here, which were solid ice under a coating of slush. Oy.

I gather I missed an "ideal age" discussion? I'm 51, but my brain thinks I'm about 29. I loved my last year of college (first out of the convent), but I was hotheaded and stupid. By my late 20s I was more comfortable with myself and the world, and Mr Lily and I were still semi-newlyweds.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I think I'm happiest being my current age. I've never felt more confident and happy before in my life. Even with all the uncertainty around my writing and all, I feel good! (May have something to do with the 40 pounds I lost in the last couple years. Looking hot never hurts)

Mornin' folk!

Didn't get a damn bit of anything done this weekend. Gotta jump back into JJD4 today if I can get some time to actually take a lunch break. I have determined that part of my hold up is that the scene I was working on to be chapter 1 (since my first chapters are always flashbacks) is actually NOT going to work, so I may try to work it up as a short story to release for free shortly before JJD4 comes out. However, this still means I need a chapter 1, and I'm not sure what scene from Jesse's past needs examining. Maybe if I keep writing, I'll find a point that needs clarification.

Ever onward.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Part of the reason I look back fondly on age 29 is that RA wasn't even a blip on my horizon. Nothing hurt. Ahhh.

But, yeah, Tas, I know jut what you mean. Sometime in the last few years I reached the "I don't give a rip what people think of the way I dress, what I read, what I watch." It's so freeing.

Yay for more JJD!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgs. Came in this morning to the news that a coworker, someone I've known for years, died this weekend. She was in her early 50s and healthy.

Feels like I woke up in an alternate universe.

Lily, glad you made it in safe. :Hug2:

Kell, yikes! Sorry about the eye.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Lot's of sad stuff in here this morning, so I say we go for a group hug.

Lily- yay on being connected again.

I caught some sort of minor stomach bug, so I'm functional but not feeling great.

On a good note, one of my best friends is having a birthday party this Sunday. I'm hoping the weather holds out and that the cool item I got for her arrives in time. There is this one fantasy artist she loves, and I was able to order her a lithograph of her favorite image. Alas, no word on shipping yet.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
"Don't you think long hair is a little...young for you?"

I'm 41, feel every year of it, but I will wear my ridiculous teeny buns to the grave.

Good morning.

I can tell I'm not 23 because when I woke up I mysteriously burst a blood vessel or something in my eye. I can't feel it but it looks really bad and I have a couple important meetings today. So yay, maybe I can use it to frighten or intimidate people.

Youch! I have one of those, too. If I get anything less than 8 hours of sleep, I have a big creepy red streak in my right eye. And yes, it can be used to frighten the younger and better rested types.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
{{Sunna}}

*sprays Purgatory down with Lysol* Still trying to avoid the stomach thing myself. Late & her entire brood came down with it last week, so I'm just hoping she didn't breathe on me for the brief time she was actually in the office.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, also...

I think I've now settled on a title for book 4. How does "A Darkness Before the Dawn" sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.