MayNoWriMo!

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I finished the first draft of my paper on global law - the topic is genocidal intent (not such a fun topic, but lots of things have been written about it). So yay for finishing the first draft!

I read through one of the readings I had to finish for class, and will do the other one tomorrow.

On top of that, I went through edits for my picture book, wrote a (short) blog post about my audiobooks, wrote two reviews for on my blog, worked on a book cover for a client, and gave comments on four chapters of a fellow author's book.

All in all, very productive day. Considering I also watched the Once Upon a Time finale, which lasted one hour and a half (if not more) and Games of Thrones, I did manage to do a lot.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Progress (from May 10 - May 12)
- write global law paper (5000-6000 words): update: 3k/5-6k finished update: done
- write philosophy of law paper (5000 words)
- edit Valentina and the Masked Mummy: update: done
- write blurbs for upcoming books: update: 1/3 written
- finish writing The Clumsy Magician WIP
- edit The Clumsy Magician WIP
- write all posts for blog tour: update: 3/8 posts written update: 4/8 posts written
- edit The Gatekeeper
- write 30+ reviews for on my book blog: update: 18/30+ reviews written update: 20/30 reviews written

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Started a short story today for a submission call, and am thus far pretty happy with the beginning of it. I got just over 500 words written in spite of being interrupted on a fairly consistent basis by my husband, who means well but sometimes just doesn't get it. Dear man. I love him but sometimes I'd like to throttle him.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
400 words yesterday and 1k today. If I don't pass out, I'll probably try to write another 1k.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited the short paper (due later today!) but haven't submitted it yet. I'm giving myself a little time to distance myself from it, then going in for a final edit.

And I just read 28 pages (2 readings) for my research methods class on Friday. I still have about 20 pages to read (2 more readings), plus 2 that are only available in the library. So that makes 3 in the library this week, as I also have the social theory one to do. So if I'm feeling well enough to go to Uni on Thursday (my next class day) I'll have to go in early and try to get through some of the readings. What is more likely is I'll have to borrow the books and read them on the bus and at home...

ETA: Did those other 2 readings (making 18 pages, not 20), which brings me to 46 for the day. But that's all the reading I *can* do at the moment, without going in to the campus. So yay!

Also just submitted that short paper for research methods. Oh, and I got back a grade for the previous short paper for that class. I got 75%, which is an improvement over the first assignment (which earned me 67% - eep!).

Okay. Time to relax!

Last edited:

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Today I plan to edit my global law paper (first round of edits, I usually do two) and then check my footnotes. I also want to do two readings for my philosophy of law class.

Next up is writing two reviews for on my blog, editing one chapter of the Gatekeeper, write a character interview for my book tour, write a flash fiction story for a horror magazine, and write 2k in my WIP.

Hopefully I'll manage to at least complete some of those goals. :)

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
1) Finish the first draft of WIP (maybe 20k to go). DONE! I think this might be an autotrunk - I'm slow and fussy so the pantsing has made a mess I'm thinking is close to unfixable. But I'll rest it and decide later. Main thing is I've finished.
2) Get to at least 5k of the other WIP. Still in progress - about 2.5k.
3) Get some plans down for the middle meat of the third.DONE! This is sort of ongoing but I've fixed some major plot problems and figured enough out to consider the goal complete.

Eep!

Yay!

Alienmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading through posts and this sounds like the golden thread; everyone is getting so much done! :hooray:

Congrats to you all.

I have a few goals:

I'd like to finish the YA novel I started last month.
I'd like to finish 2 short stories I've started and sub them.
I'd like to polish and query my YA space opera, thriller.
I'd like to like to query my gothic historical YA.
I'd love to get an agent (wouldn't we all).

Here's to likes and loving it!:snoopy:

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Edited half of my paper, and checked footnotes for that half. Rest is up for tomorrow.

I wrote two reviews for on my blog, and the character interview for my tour. No more additional writing, but I did finish two books I had on my to-be-read list.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, given that I've done all the reading for this week's classes that I can do at home (3 more to do in the campus library), and given that I submitted that short paper last night (which was the only assignment I had due in May), then that means today I can finally find the time to work on some of my major assignments!

I think I'm going to spend most of today pushing ahead with the literature review readings... I think I've done 8 of 16 so far, and I'd like to make that 12 of 16 by the end of today. I do have a doctor's appointment to go to, which will suck up some of my free time... But I think I should be able to get 4 more lit review readings done and noted on...

ETA: 4 more? Ha! It took about 2.5 hours just to get through 1 (albeit a 28-page article that was poorly written), and I had to go out for about an hour... So it's now about 4.15pm, and I'm pretty sure I will only be able to get 1 more reading noted from... Well, about 20 pages, anyway - which I think most of the next few are in that range.

And I realised that tomorrow's class is fairly crucial for understanding the remainder of the semester for that class, so I may have to go to the Uni whether I'm fully over the flu or not... Especially as this lecturer doesn't use slides that I could access later, and has troubles weekly with the audio recordings, and attendance is graded... *sigh*

ETA2: Did a 17-page reading for the literature review. So that makes 45 pages for the day, which isn't *too* bad... And I'm now up to 10/16 readings done for it. Slowly but surely this damn thing will get done!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only about 250 words yesterday - not on the short story, but on my WIP novel. Kind of stalled out, plotwise, on the short story. I need to give it a good hard think before I move forward.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
2k yesterday, but I might do more editing than writing today.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Was on the brink of a nap when my semi-conscious mind solved yet another sticking point in my outline. Upside - yay. Downside - had to get up to make notes and will probably be cranky later.

So my outline is very nearly complete. My 2nd character POV scenes need some fleshing out, but I think I'm nearly there.

Having some minor doubts regarding complexity. It's quite a twisty-turny tale on paper, with a fair amount of worldbuilding required. Fingers crossed.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I just got news that one of my manuscripts was accepted by a publiher. Get out the party hats, people!

I'm still waiting for contract and such (I got the email about an hour ago) so I'm not *too* excited yet (or trying not be) but well...it's always great to find a home for your work!

Today has been productive. Didn't write any reviews (yet), and have tons of book tour stuff to do, but I did edit my paper (which took several rounds), edited footnotes, and wrote a bibliography for the paper.

Tomorrow morning I'm aiming for an early start to finish the paper in time for class.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, eternalised! That's fantastic! :D

On my end, I've taken today off of Uni as well. I was feeling mostly better yesterday, but I woke up with a gunked up nose and a hacking cough again... *sigh*

On the plus side, this means I should be able to get more readings done for my literature review, and maybe work on editing my short story. The story (well, an edited version) has to be posted online by this weekend (it's already had one round of class crits) and I haven't touched it yet... But that shouldn't take too long. The first draft was fairly well received, so it's just a matter of making some smaller changes. :)

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
Hi everyone!

I guess goals as a writer are always changing....
Since I posted I learned that I will be publishing a short book!
Also I will be coming out with a short poetry book for friends!
My writing has halted a bit while I'm working on marketing myself...

So basically I'm not writing as much as marketing...

I ALSO GOT A FICTION PIECE PUBLISHED IN A MAGAZINE!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, pushingfordream!

My husband and I were busy most of the day installing a birdbath/fountain in the garden, then I had a show in the evening, so I didn't get much writing done - only about 130 words. Howwever, I did, for the first time, write about someone taking a piss. It was an interesting exercise. :D

880/1000k so far. Now that I've gotten back in the rhythm of writing every day, I may up that weekly goal to 1500k next week and see what happens.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I thought I'd be able to catch a break after finishing my global law paper, and submitting it this morning. No such luck though. An entire afternoon of classes, and now I have tons of deadlines.

Edit: Edited, printed and submitted my global law paper this morning. Went through ten tasks on my to-do-list. Finished a cover for a client (still needs one round of edits, but I'm waiting to hear my client's thoughts), and wrote three reviews for on my blog.

Edit:

- write global law paper (5000-6000 words)
- write philosophy of law paper (5000 words)
- edit Valentina and the Masked Mummy
- write blurbs for upcoming books: update: 1/3 written
- finish writing The Clumsy Magician WIP
- edit The Clumsy Magician WIP
- write all posts for blog tour: update: 3/8 posts written update: 4/8 posts written update: 5/8 posts written
- edit The Gatekeeper
- write 30+ reviews for on my book blog: update: 18/30+ reviews written update: 20/30 reviews written update: 26/30 reviews written

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Eternal, you amaze me with how much you get done! Seriously, it's a lot! Good job. :)

On my end... Taking another sick day. I was feeling a bit better last night, so I set my alarm so I'd be up in time to go to my class today. Got up, and felt pretty good still. Then within about 20 minutes I was coughing my guts up again. *sigh*

The good news, though, is that while I was emailing my professor about not making it today, I noticed a message from my social theory professor, saying she'd finished grading all the tests.

Those of you who were in the April thread will recall how much I busted my arse on that test. Well, it paid off - I got an A! :D

So that makes 2 As for social theory, out of 2 assignments. Woo! :D This is seriously amazing, because I've never gotten higher than a C in a sociology topic (well, I got a B in a first-year topic), and now I'm heading towards a solid A for one of the most difficult sociology topics on offer. :D Just got to make sure I rock the final essay.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited my short story, but it will need one more quick going-over before I post it online tomorrow morning. Also just did a 15-page read-n-note for my literature review. 11/16 done! The next one is a 27-page monster again, so I think I'll take a brief break first.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Congrats! Sociology is a tough subject, so an A is amazing. :)

I'm *supposed* to write a YA contemporary novella. I had zero inspiration (I usually write fantasy) until this morning. An idea hit me straight in the head, haha. :) I hope I can squeeze in some itme for writing today.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :D And yeah, I usually get Cs in sociology (which is what I'm getting so far in my sociology research methods topic... Ack!). Much harder than the creative writing topics I've done! (For me, anyway.)

So... I've now done that 28-page read-n-note. Except it was actually 22 pages, once I factored in the 2 title pages and 4 pages of notes and references at the end. :)

And because I've finished early, I'm considering pushing for a 3rd reading today. Not sure, it depends on how long it is. 15 pages, yes I'll do it - 20+, probably not. :)