My SYW posts are disappearing, etc. . .

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Something weird is going on, I think I did something, changed a setting or. . .

No matter how many times I log on to AW, and click the button to remember me, it doesn't. That's a pain in the butt. :rant: I think I screwed something up.

And that's related, I think, to my issue with SYW. I didn't used to have to type in Vista to access SYW. Now I have to.

My bigger issue is when I crit something, go to publish the post and get a message on the screen that I'm not logged in. I had to log in!!! But I do it again and everything I'd typed is GONE. That's not too bad if I posted something short but it's happened with a chapter critique and with a synopsis critique. Both took decent time which is irritating but worse, for me, is that I was trying to help folks and lost everything.

Doesn't happen all the time--let me clarify: the loss of SYW posts doesn't happen all the time. The having to log in at the beginning IS happening all the time.

So, is there something I can set back to default, or change, or?

I am a luddite, I have admitted that before on this forum, which is why I am asking folks here. I appreciate any and all help, and I thank you very kindly for it.

-kk

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried logging off the Internet and cleaning out your cookies and cache? That's usually the first thing we suggest.

If that doesn't help with can look at some other things, such as possibly accidentally changing your settings so that your browser doesn't allow all cookies from the AW website.

Last edited:

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Hmm...I had a similar experience. I also didn't type in vista to see the SYW stuff. Then one day, I had to. I enquired here, and was told the password has always been required to see SYW.

Only reason I could think of for what seemed like a change was that I must have always returned before AW logged me out, so the password I originally input was still in effect. Since then, I've always had to input the password to get to SYW.

I've always thought that the "remember me" function only works for about a day after you sign in. So if I sign in at 10 a.m. and come back the next day at 8 a.m., I'm still signed in. If I don't come back until 10:30 the next morning, I have to sign in again.

Could this be what's happening to you?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds a bit like a "stale cookies" issue.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could write your critiques in your word processing program and paste to AW until this is cleared up.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You guys, thank you for trying to help me.
Have you tried logging off the Internet and cleaning out your cookies and cache? That's usually the first thing we suggest.

If that doesn't help with can look at some other things, such as possibly accidentally changing your settings so that your browser doesn't allow all cookies from the AW website.
I did that. I think. And right now, my browser is set to allow all cookies from AW. Hmmm.

Hmm...I had a similar experience. I also didn't type in vista to see the SYW stuff. Then one day, I had to. I enquired here, and was told the password has always been required to see SYW.

Only reason I could think of for what seemed like a change was that I must have always returned before AW logged me out, so the password I originally input was still in effect. Since then, I've always had to input the password to get to SYW.

I've always thought that the "remember me" function only works for about a day after you sign in. So if I sign in at 10 a.m. and come back the next day at 8 a.m., I'm still signed in. If I don't come back until 10:30 the next morning, I have to sign in again.

Could this be what's happening to you?
I don't know. For the longest time, when I clicked on AW, it opened right away, I didn't have to log in, didn't have to type vista for the SYW forum. Now I do, I don't get it. . .

:Shrug:
This sounds a bit like a "stale cookies" issue.
I don't know what that is, alleycat.

Maybe you could write your critiques in your word processing program and paste to AW until this is cleared up.
Or try to remember to copy what I've typed, so if it's lost, I can paste it back in there. If it lets me, I don't know if it will.

If your cookies are properly baked, you should only have to put in the password once. Try clearing them out and restarting your computer.

Instructions for most browsers here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cookies
I tried following that, Myrealana. I also changed my privacy settings to allow all first and third party cookies.
I even did a system restore going back a week. Shut down, started it back up and. . .

*sigh*

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What browser and what version are you using?

It sounds to me--not all that tech savvy, FWIW--as if you have deleted your cookies and changed your settings to either reject cookies or to delete them at the end of each session online, including when your connection times out because you have been inactive (busy writing that thoughtful critique, no doubt, rather than clicking on new posts and stuff) for X number of minutes.

Maryn, who always does critiques in word processing, then pastes them

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what that is, alleycat.

I tried following that, Myrealana. I also changed my privacy settings to allow all first and third party cookies.

I just meant it sounded like a problem with old cookies.

You should probably change you setting back to reject third party cookies. They are not used on AW. I have my browser set to reject third party cookies.

Deleted member 42

Please do the following in the following order:

1. Log off AW. Make sure you know your password and ID.
2. Delete your AW cookies. Check to make sure that you do not have Cookies set to delete automatically.
3. Completely shut down/quit/close your browser.
4. Open your browser
5. Log in to AW. Make sure you click the small "Remember me" box when you log in.
6. Go to SYW and log in using the SYW password vista

See the FAQ: Emptying Your Browser's Cache, History, and Deleting Cookies

A cookie is a small Web browser file that can easily become damaged or out of date, and hence "stale." I suspect you have a stale or damaged AW cookie. You need to delete it in order to have cookies function correctly for you.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Is your browser security set to forget all history? Because I could click the 'remember me' box until the cows come home, and once I close the browser it's not gonna remember me.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You all are very kind to be helping me. I appreciate it very much.
What browser and what version are you using?

It sounds to me--not all that tech savvy, FWIW--as if you have deleted your cookies and changed your settings to either reject cookies or to delete them at the end of each session online, including when your connection times out because you have been inactive (busy writing that thoughtful critique, no doubt, rather than clicking on new posts and stuff) for X number of minutes.

Maryn, who always does critiques in word processing, then pastes them
I am using Internet Explorer, Version 11. I shall try to find what my cookie settings are. I think everything is set to default right now, or did I change it to accept all cookies? Crap, I don't remember.

Karen, who continues to be amazed at her utter lack of computer savvy.

I just meant it sounded like a problem with old cookies.

You should probably change you setting back to reject third party cookies. They are not used on AW. I have my browser set to reject third party cookies.
I think I get that, alleycat. I shall check. . .

Please do the following in the following order:

1. Log off AW. Make sure you know your password and ID.
2. Delete your AW cookies. Check to make sure that you do not have Cookies set to delete automatically.
3. Completely shut down/quit/close your browser.
4. Open your browser
5. Log in to AW. Make sure you click the small "Remember me" box when you log in.
6. Go to SYW and log in using the SYW password vista

See the FAQ: Emptying Your Browser's Cache, History, and Deleting Cookies

A cookie is a small Web browser file that can easily become damaged or out of date, and hence "stale." I suspect you have a stale or damaged AW cookie. You need to delete it in order to have cookies function correctly for you.
I'm going to attempt to do that, Medievalist. Just as soon as I figure out how to get my head out of my. . .

:D

Is your browser security set to forget all history? Because I could click the 'remember me' box until the cows come home, and once I close the browser it's not gonna remember me.
I think it was. Is. Again, something I have to check.

Again, you guys, I appreciate the heck out of your help. I shall try to figure out what's what, then try to follow Medievalist's very clear instructions. . .

Wish me luck. Eek.