• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jill Grinberg Literary Management

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I like sending paper when an agent specifies that you can send a writing sample vs. query only by email. Just in case the query doesn't "resonate" then maybe the writing will. That's how I queried Jill. Got back a lovely personalized rejection on high quality stationary too. It's funny how that kind of rejection takes the sting out of it vs. a "Dear Author" rejection on a sixth of a piece of paper that's been photo-copied a million times, or a notation scrawled across your query letter! :D

TinneyH

Registered
Reaction score
You did well, then. I just got a "Dear author" R from her. (Nice stationary, though.)

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least he has a fast turn around...

I queried Evan yesterday by email, attaching the 50 pages like he requests. He responded in less than 24 hours. He specified my name, but the rest was clearly a form.

SIGH, I have to assume he didn't like the query enough to give the material a chance--there's no way he read the 50 pages so soon. (Because if he had, he would've requested the full, right? LOL)

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
You queried in Spring and again last month? Hmm, I don't think there's a no response means no pile. Wait a bit longer then resubmit. Maybe from a different email.

And make sure you put QUERY in the subject line. Otherwise it won't go through.

claena

Heather Petty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
heatherwpetty.com
Well, at least he has a fast turn around...

I queried Evan yesterday by email, attaching the 50 pages like he requests. He responded in less than 24 hours. He specified my name, but the rest was clearly a form.

SIGH, I have to assume he didn't like the query enough to give the material a chance--there's no way he read the 50 pages so soon. (Because if he had, he would've requested the full, right? LOL)

Actually, Evan read 100 pages of my ms overnight back when I queried him. I think these agents are really fast. They have to be to keep up with the flow.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Evan still has my full. It hasn't been that long (less than three months), but he's clearly not reading everything overnight.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I e-queried Jill on 8/12 and haven't gotten a reply yet. I'm kicking myself for not just sending paper like she prefers (I didn't have access to a printer at the time and I was impatient), but live and learn. I'm just wondering, does anyone know if she responds to all e-queries? How quickly?

Oberon89

The Druid you're looking for
Registered
Reaction score
A Client Speaks!

Hello all,

I became a client of Evan Goldfried on July 31 this year, and on Sep 25 he got me a three-book deal for a new urban fantasy series. The contract is still in negotiation so I'd rather not divulge more than that for the moment—though the deal has been announced on Publishers Marketplace—but in the interests of answering several questions on the thread and helping everyone out:

1.) I sent my urban fantasy query plus 50 pages via snail mail to Jill in mid-July, following the directions on AgentQuery; she basically handed my submission to Evan. Evan contacted me via e-mail to request a full inside of a week; I'd never heard of him up to that point.

2.) Evan is actively building his client list. I don't know anything about Jill; I haven't spoken with her or e-mailed or anything, but I'd sure like to thank her for A) hiring Evan in May and B) handing my submission to him!

3.) There's a great interview with Evan that's been recently posted at writingraw.com. The urban fantasy series he mentions at the end of his second paragraph is mine. :) Here's the link:
http://writingraw.com/files/7 Question Interview with Evan Goldfried.pdf
He tells you what he's looking for in the interview and how to submit to him.

4.) The agency keeps its website basic ON PURPOSE. Don't let it freak you out or deter you!

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can, and after the ink is dry on the contract with my publisher I'll happily use my name. But here is what you really need to take away from this: Evan was one of 24 agents I submitted to, and only the second one to request a full; four others requested partials, and the rest sent me form rejections! So just keep that in mind, okay? Lots of agents won't recognize a book sale is sitting on their desk—but eventually one of them will! I was EXACTLY where you are in July. Don't give up. I wish you all the best. Keep writing.

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Oberon! Yay for you :Sun:

I'm always looking for new Urban Fantasy series to get hooked on, so here's to you posting with name and book title soon :)

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Form r from Evan - or someone acting in his name - today, 11-12 days after query sent. Again, can't complain about response time......

fairy86

Loose on the internet!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Oberon! I can't wait for you to share your news. I e-queried Evan a few days ago with my siren UF--he seems great!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In case people had missed the news, Evan Goldfried recently became a member of AW.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Yes, I just queried Evan and I messed it up. I included the 50 pages in the body of the email. He responded, asking me to send it as a word doc (afterward I saw on Jill Gringberg's website that they wanted the 50 pages as a word doc attachment). So I responded, but FORGOT the attachment and had to respond again! Aargh. :(

Great first impression.

Oberon89

The Druid you're looking for
Registered
Reaction score
Form r from Evan - or someone acting in his name - today,

It was Evan. They're a small agency, so they don't have hordes of interns working for them. ;)

If you feel like looking at Evan's AgentQuery full profile, under recent deals, you'll see mine there. :hooray:

Evan's completely awesome and I feel really blessed to be his client, so I can only wish the same for all of you.

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
• Snail-mailed query plus first ten pages on 11-10-09.
• Rec’d nice, form SASE rejection (“Dear Author”) on 11-19-09.

Nine days. Not the world's worst wait.

FYI: Ms. Grinberg stated (in said, form rejection letter) that she IS currently still taking on clients, but is doing so very selectively ("focusing exclusively on work that really stirs my passions"). So the rejection, for me, is actually a good thing, because I only want an agent who can be the #1 cheerleader for my book.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, has anybody heard back from Evan lately? I queried him four weeks ago (attached first three chapters), and I was wondering if it's too early to nudge... I made the prologue flow better and in his AW post he says he welcomes revisit submissions... Does it mean it's OK to send a new draft???
He must be flooded with emails though, given his nice invitation to query on AW!!!! (I just saw it, I had actually found him on AgentQuery)

Last edited:

JulesKD

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh,I queried Mr. Goldfried last month and have not heard back. I so very much like what he has to say, and what he represents. And, my first query kinda sucked, I wish I had it all to do over again, with Mr. Goldfried in mind!

Right now I'm kind of hoping he missed my query and I wouldn't be a total beeotch in querying again after some time. ^_^

Jules

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Just e-queried today. We'll see how it goes. (and yes, I saw Oberon's books on his page!)

Please post when you hear back, I'll do the same... if I do hear back. Seems like everybody's already gone for the holidays in agent-land...
Good luck.

lloyddoblerrocks

Registered
Reaction score
Please post when you hear back, I'll do the same... if I do hear back. Seems like everybody's already gone for the holidays in agent-land...
Good luck.

Hi,
I was just wondering if you guys ever heard anything back?