• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marsal Lyon Literary Agency

BrigidGH

I got soul but I'm not a soldier :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mylifeasateenagenovelist.blogspot.com
I queried Jill Marsal yesterday afternoon and received a request for a 20-page partial today. :) I also got a request for a full yesterday, so I'm in a pretty good mood. :D

KelleyVitollo

Registered
Reaction score
I had a partial request and she said allow her several weeks to get back to her. How long do you think I should wait before nudging? It's been almost four weeks.

Writergal77

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Lyon requested a partial from me as well. I sent her the partial on May 20th, and she rejected me on June 6th. I would probably give her a little more time. Maybe it's a good thing that she has had yours longer.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with Marsal Lyon Agency

- E-queried Jill Marsal 08/02
- Partial requested & sent 08/03
- Ms. Marsal passed 08/13.

Will query Ms. Lyon next but want to wait a reasonable amount of time- whatever that is! Will most likely query tomorrow, lol.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Hi guys,

I sent Jill a query on 8/7/10, got a nice personalized rejection on 8/21.

Last edited:

Creole Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Sent email query on 10/21 and received polite rejection on 10/31.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to query Ms. Marsal this week. I'm re-working my synopsis to get it just right first...well, if there is a 'just right'. I'll let you know about the turn around, hopefully with good news!

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
3/4 equeried Ms. Lyons

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Kevan Lyon ultimately rejected me but she was so nice and responsive. Right before I received an R from her, I got some feedback from another agent and I made huge changes to the beginning of my manuscript. When she sent me the rejection, I took a chance and asked if she would look at the revisions the other agent had suggested. Not only did she look at them, she got back to me very quickly with more feedback.

I think she would be great to work with.

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
‎Saw this on twitter:
KevanLyon>‎ Every so often a query comes in that you know you need to move quickly on. We have one of those now -- need to dig in to the sample pages. Twitter - 46 minutes ago

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Just sent my query to Ms. Lyon....fingers crossed!!! She sounds like a great agent.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query to Jill Marsal at 11:00 this morning. Got a request for a partial (50 pages) at 12:30. Now that's fast. It's my first request for a partial. Yikes. From looking at the rest of this thread it looks like most requests for partials are dead ends. Believe it or not, for some reason that's a relief. I'm having an editor help me walk through it to do a final polish and we're not even a quarter of the way done, so I'm nervous about somebody looking at it (even though we're just making minor tweaks). I was kind of sending the queries out for practice and to force myself to write the query letter and synopsis. It's kind of a panic/excitement mix to have somebody actually reply.

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Just got the big R from Ms Lyon (equeried 13th March). From Twitter, I gather she was going through all her queries yesterday and is continuing with queries today, so expect to hear back soon if you have submitted to her!

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
God, this waiting is killing me! I wasn't even concerned until I read on Twitter that Kevan Lyon was going through her queries, and now I constantly check my inbox for that R lol. So far it's been 4 and a bit days - and when you say it aloud it sounds insane to be obsessed! In my defence, from the posts on here, it looks as though she is a fast responder...
I am shamed :0)

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
God, this waiting is killing me! I wasn't even concerned until I read on Twitter that Kevan Lyon was going through her queries, and now I constantly check my inbox for that R lol. So far it's been 4 and a bit days - and when you say it aloud it sounds insane to be obsessed! In my defence, from the posts on here, it looks as though she is a fast responder...
I am shamed :0)

You're not alone! I confess, I am an obsessive inbox checker too! :D

Hope you get a response soon and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's a manuscript request!

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Aw thanks Samara! I'm pulling for you too with whatever agent you go for next :0) And now that tanglewood has queried after me and got a reply, I'm obsessed EVEN MORE! Oh dear.

sb2brown

Registered
Reaction score
I've been ghostwriting a memoir for an author who queried Jill on 5/9/11. She requested his proposal and sample chapters on 5/15. Today, 5/24, she sent what looks to be a form rejection for authors whose manuscripts she has read a portion of.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Just realised that I hadn't updated my stats:

EQ: 11/04/11
ER (after a prompting on Twitter!): 18/05/11

Seems like she's really behind on queries so don't worry if you haven't heard back from her yet.

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen Rushall has joined the agency from Waterside Productions. It looks like she'll be handling their YA, MG clients (and some adult non-fiction too).

No submission details on the agency website yet, but Kathleen has advised anyone who queried her at her old agency but didn't hear back to please requery her at the new email address.