Writer's Digest Bot Apocalypse Refugee Camp

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
PLEASE CHECK IN SO WE KNOW THE BOTS DIDN'T GET YOU!

Hi everyone. The admin of this site gave me permission to put up camp here, and has given me other options if we need them.

So, we might want to consider starting a room or stickied thread in the password protected area of Absolute Write if the situation at Writer's Digest doesn't get resolved soon.

There's no reason our writing should suffer just because they can't get their acts together over there.

What do you think?

Last edited:

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in.

Hey T! Did you get my post that I was glad to see you back on WD?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Sure did! Thanks Adam. Good to see you too. How've you been?

If we direct enough people here, I'll ask Mac about starting something (maybe just temporarily) in SYW so people can still share work. You should let other members know that they have other options. :)

Stratton

Registered
Reaction score
Checking in! I've never been over here before but it's really nice of them to let us camp out here. Thanks for setting something up, t. And welcome back!

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all, updog here. Like my new name? :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Welcome, folks. I suspect the WD folks will solve their tech oversight shortly -- but in the meantime, I know it can be disconcerting to try and learn another community's culture.

If you'd like your own passworded room for writing, we can certainly do that -- or you're welcome to take a look at AW's SWY system, and see if that will work for you as a temporary measure, too.

Please feel free to PM me if you've got any questions, ideas, concerns, or problems!

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for having us. Now that I finally worked up the courage to join this site, I think I'll probably stay.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Lol. Mac is super nice.

You can also ask me any questions here or in a PM. Whatever you're most comfortable with.

Unless there's a lot of interest generated in having our own room, I'm not going to ask Mac to make one for us.

Checking in! I've never been over here before but it's really nice of them to let us camp out here. Thanks for setting something up, t. And welcome back!

I'm glad you came, Rose!

Thank Mac for having us. She really doesn't get enough praise for all she does around here, to be perfectly honest. She has to heft around a huge Mod sword to keep all the bots and trolls at bey for the rest of us.

Hi, all, updog here. Like my new name? :)

Love the new name, Vonny! I think you'll fit in nicely.

In the meantime everyone can check out some stuff around here.

Jump in and say hi at the New Members area.

Everyone should also take a look at SYW - Share Your Work. The password to get in is "vista." This is the equivalent to our Critique Central.

While you're there, most of you will be interested in Science Fiction/Fantasy SYW.

Adam, you will really like Query Letter Hell SYW & Interstices.

Rose, as I recall you were also interested in Young Adult SYW, as am I.

And Vonny, am I crazy for thinking you should check out Romance/Women's Fiction SYW.

There are also corresponding discussion areas like our old Writers Lounges throughout the site. They are not password protected and can be found by search engines, so don't post any original material in these areas.

Don't be scared. Just jump in and if you get lost you can ask for directions. I would really like to see any work you guys post so drop me a link on my wall if you want something critiqued. :D

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Hi everybody! For those of you who are new here this is XintricKim. I've been coming here for a little while, but yeah I haven't been able to get on WD ever since they changed things around! I'm glad we have a thread here to reconnect. Thanks Gale :p

I see we've got some tents, hammocks, and a medic. I'll pass out some rations.

And I want to say I've read 2 books and can't post it on the Book Thread and also don't remember what number I'm on, but they are "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling (I saw the movie over the weekend in 3D and it rocked!) and "The Boy Who Lost His Face" by Louis Sachar, which was one of my favorite books in middle school. Sachar's short concise scenes in his book influenced the way I write scenes in my own book, NO TURNING BACK.

I don't know how to make the link in my signature look like yours Gale, where you can just click on the title. I've never known how to do that. LOL

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Hi, Kim! :D

Use URL tags (without the spaces in the example), which you can automatically bring up from the panel above the text box. The icon looks like a planet with a paperclip in front of it.

Example: [ URL="http://kimnflowers.blogspot.com" ] Kim's Blog [ /URL ]

becomes... Kim's Blog

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
Sure did! Thanks Adam. Good to see you too. How've you been?

If we direct enough people here, I'll ask Mac about starting something (maybe just temporarily) in SYW so people can still share work. You should let other members know that they have other options. :)

I've been good. Still haven't had the chance to finish my rewrite of that story you read for me. Been too busy on my novel.

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, folks. I suspect the WD folks will solve their tech oversight shortly -- but in the meantime, I know it can be disconcerting to try and learn another community's culture.

If you'd like your own passworded room for writing, we can certainly do that -- or you're welcome to take a look at AW's SWY system, and see if that will work for you as a temporary measure, too.

Please feel free to PM me if you've got any questions, ideas, concerns, or problems!

Thanks!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I've been good. Still haven't had the chance to finish my rewrite of that story you read for me. Been too busy on my novel.

Novel??? My curiosity is piqued... Shoot me a PM about it if you are looking for beta help.

I just started another novel myself. The first one was too issue oriented. I felt like the plot became trapped in a social minefield and stagnated midway through. This one is going to be an "eff it all" type of character study thing. Not sure if that actually makes sense.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
You guys! :poke:

Yes, it will take awhile to get used to the new WD forum. But, I do like the software better than the old one.

I definitely prefer the software upgrade to phpBB. What a major step up from the god-knows-what they were using before. Honestly, you can't beat vBulletin, IMHO. So, I'm like to stay here.

Truth is the fact that the Critique Central became wide open to search engines is what has brought most of us here. Our original work was seized by spiders and bots in mere moments, and the tech people have still left it open. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Truth is the fact that the Critique Central became wide open to search engines is what has brought most of us here. Our original work was seized by spiders and bots in mere moments, and the tech people have still left it open. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Ah, I see. In other words, the password protection to the critique forums was not working and not fixed once a problem was noted.

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Last I heard the admins are saying the password protection has always been in place, but if you were to log out and view the critique central boards, you will find that you still have full access.

The only exception to this is Poetry, which will prompt you for your password.

*shakes head

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here - and there :) Just waiting to see how it all shakes out over there - and how long it takes... :(

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
T, I did write one humorous YA Romance, but my novels would likely never be shelved in women's fiction, and definitely aren't chick lit. My true love is YA Fantasy. :)