• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Galley Beggar Press

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
http://www.galleybeggar.co.uk/

A new press starting up in my city. No details as to experience of the founders on the website, plus the donate button makes me uneasy.

I'm not considering submitting (to anywhere just yet) but felt they should have a thread, just in case.

I would imagine standard warnings apply - give them a little while to see if they make it. They seem like nice folks, so let's hope they do.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
http://www.galleybeggar.co.uk/

I currently have no intention of submitting to them, but I thought they should have a thread.

A new press set in my neck of the woods.

The about is geared more towards authors than readers - they make a big deal about wanting to nurture writers who have struggled to find publishing houses, and whose works have real literary merit. No specifications about genre or preferences.

As far as I can tell, one of the owners is the person who also owns The Book Hive, and independend bookstore, so they have at least one guaranteed point of sale.

However, they also have a donation link prominent on their page, and no real information about the owners.

I hope they do well - Norwich is a 'City of Literature' and could be a great place for small presses. However, I'll be holding off till two or three years have gone past and they can prove wide circulation of books.

Any other thoughts?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
We quite often get asked about our submissions policy. We quite often give very unhelpful answers. The truth is that we just want books that we’re going to love. But we don’t know exactly what that means – and don’t even want to know, since we also want to be surprised. That’s why, when you look around the site to find out about submissions, you won’t find any information, beyond the fact that you should email [email protected] and talk to Simone…

Yes, this is unhelpful.

When I'm considering where to send a manuscript, I don't want vague answers. I need to know genre, word count and any guidelines that might rule out my manuscript (e.g. no explicit sex). I don't want to waste time emailing people to find out these simple details.

If you don't know what you're going to love, then I don't trust you to know what your readership - if any - loves either.

What is good writing? I wish I could tell you. I think there has to be a lot of craft. You have to know that each word is where it should be, and each sentence has been carefully thought out. But beyond that… The mysteries of art…

This is vague and woo-woo. They can be up in the air all they like, but what I look for in a publisher is feet planted firmly on the ground.

Plus, half their books have no cover art. Just a black background, with the author's name, title, blurb and publisher's logo on it. I could do that myself - I don't need a publisher for it.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
They apparently published A Girl is a Half Formed Thing, which won the Baileys Women's Prize for fiction and then got picked up by a larger publisher.

Still think their submissions guide is intensely unhelpful.