Arranging links in Wordpress

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hoping someone can help...

I spent about an hour struggling with my website and finally got it to look like this.

The links in the sidebar, lined up vertically, are in the order I want them to be.

The links along the top of the page, lined up horizontally, are in alphabetical order. Does anyone know how I can arrange these links in the order I like? I found some advice to make changes in the header file, but I don't know where the header file is - and isn't the header the image at the top of the webpage, rather than the list-o-links?

Then someone else told me that it might be a function of my theme, and the only way to solve it would be to change themes, but I'm sure there's an easier way to settle this than by changing the theme (which I rather like, plus I don't want to randomly pick some other theme which might have the same issue).

1481.gif

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Questions like this are better answered in WordPress's Help section. And it depends upon whether you're using WP.com or WP.org.

In WP.com go to your Dashboard. Go to Appearance. Select Menus under that. This lets you manage your menus in several ways, including the order in which menu items appear. I also place <b> and </b> before and after the names of each menu item to make them bold, for example.

Deleted member 42

That theme is pretty old; it hasn't been updated since 2008. I'd be a little wary of using it; you'll notice that the developer's link at the bottom goes to a site that's a little iffy.

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Questions like this are better answered in WordPress's Help section. And it depends upon whether you're using WP.com or WP.org.

You are using WP.org. At the bottom of your site where it says "Powered by WordPress", click on "WordPress". That will take you to the WordPress.org page. Look for where it says "Support" in the menu and click on that to be taken to the support forum. They also have quite detailed support pages which should cover menus as well.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
That theme is pretty old; it hasn't been updated since 2008. I'd be a little wary of using it; you'll notice that the developer's link at the bottom goes to a site that's a little iffy.

Just my luck. :(

I didn't know this. I wonder if I should change it - recommendations from anyone?

Last edited:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Queen, I don't have recommendations on a particular Wordpress theme to use, BUT I will say that switching to a newer theme that the developer is supporting and updating on a semi-regular basis could prove positive for you on several levels. 1) You'll be able to select from a number of themes that are html5 ready, and you'll likely have a much more mobile-friendly site structure; and 2) if it's a theme that the developer is actively maintaining, when there are updating releases of Wordpress.org, you'll be more likely to find support for any bugs or compatibility issues by upgrading your version of WordPress.

If you really like your theme and just want to stick with it, there's certainly nothing wrong in that. Did you try Laer's fix by going into the menu functions under Appearance in the dashboard? That is where you should be able to access the menus supported by your theme. And unless your theme handles arrangement of your menus by alphabetizing them, you should be able to re-order those headings (it may be called the top menu or navigational menu depending on your theme). See if that works first. Next step is to go to the boards and find a fix in the questions. After that, you could consider monkeying with your CSS templates and customizing them if you know how to do that (I HIGHLY advise making a backup copy of your site and CSS templates before doing that in case you have an oops).