Wanting to write a non-fiction

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I normally write fiction, but I've got this non-fiction idea that won't go away. I understand that fiction and non-fiction are vastly different processes, so I'm feeling a little lost. I've read up some on it, but I'm confused about some things, if anyone can answer them. Thanks!

-- You pitch your idea first before writing. True?

-- You need a platform. But how much of a platform is good enough? I have the credentials, but I don't have a social media following. Do I need to work on that first?

-- What I want to do is a reference book that includes a lot of definitions. I don't want to have to write out the definitions myself. Could I use existing dictionary definitions? How would I go about that while still adhering to copyright laws?

-- Do I need to tell agents an estimate of how long it'll take to write?

-- Added to the question above, what I have planned could either be a massive book, or broken down into smaller parts. Do I tell that to the agents? Or just pick one and pitch it as such?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That's kind of a lot to cover, but....

You submit a proposal which, amongst other things typically include the first three chapters

You need to be a credible author for the book. A degree alone can be much of that legitimacy depending on the book and the publisher

You need to use whatever definitions an expert in the field would use.

You need to be able to provide a delivery date.

You need to tell the agent book type, length, audience, competing volumes etc according to a typical book proposal

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Also, just to address the definition thing - if you want to use others' work, like definitions from a dictionary, you need permission.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you plan on using the book in classes or if other people plan on using the book in classrooms, that's a platform (AKA readership).

Learn to write a proposal. Elizabeth Lyon's has a good book out.

The definitions situation: I'd be leery of making the majority of the book stuff that people can find elsewhere. It's spendy for one thing.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the other posts.

Multiple definitions are available instantly online, so be sure you have something that is difficult to find, or be sure your book will be sought out for some other reason. In other words, why would someone buy your book instead of just looking up the reference information on their phone for free?

If you can answer that with a good reason, then you may have something. If not, don't give up- but is there another way to write the content that is unique, without depending on easily found definitions?

Once you believe you have a viable concept for a book, then look at your platform. Are you the person to write this book? Again, good advice in the posts above.

Are you considered an expert on the subject? I write nonfiction. Occasionally I am looking into something and realize it would be great if someone would write a book on... But I know I am not that "someone".

At the same time, I am an expert in certain things, and those areas are what I write. My platform spans 20 years, includes teaching, credentials, other experience, etc, and in my academic field, that is what it takes to be considered an expert.

However, if someone were, for example, to write a book on the best magic tricks, I could see that platform develop differently, and perhaps be based on intense mentoring from a great magician, and social media buzz about performance shows. Hmm that reminds me- my 7th grade son is wanting a book on magic tricks...

So, look at your subject. Perhaps a degree alone is enough to be considered an expert, or perhaps years of experience and teaching and ..., or perhaps not, as in my magic example.

I wish you the best on your nonfiction work. :)

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Thanks so much for all the great feedback. I will think more about this, especially since there's heavy use of definitions. But it's rather important to how I want this laid out. I just got to think about how much people would want it...although I do plan to only target a certain demographic (those in the field).

Given that, I also have to think about how much I want to write this. As far as credentials though, I have a degree, am licensed and registered, have additional credentials, as well as working in the field. I hadn't been sure if that was enough though, since I don't do things like speaking engagements. But from what y'all are saying, it sounds like I'm okay in that respect, so that's good. Having said that, a bit of me is hesitant if I am indeed the best person to write this, because I've never done non-fiction. It feels kind of overwhelming, what I have planned. I'm estimating that it'll take years to complete.

If I do go forward with it, I intend to target it towards those in my field, as well as students in the major. It'll be one of those $300 textbooks, those poor saps. Haha. I know I wish I had/have something like this. So I guess even if I never get it published, it would be a good resource, even if it's just for myself. :p

Thanks again.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest looking at developing a book proposal based on one of your preferred publishers. They will probably have a book proposal template of what it would take to convince them the book will succeed. Writing it could help you organize your thoughts about same? :)

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Veinglory.

It is a good sign that you wish the book existed for yourself, your colleagues and your students as well (in other words, it does not currently exist or something is unique about it). Planning to use it as a textbook for your own students helps too :)

Best of luck!

I would not worry too much about never having written nonfiction, but instead focus on the writing in general. If you first examine what should go into the proposal, perhaps then you will become more confident that you are indeed the best one to write it.

Last edited:

mackandblues

Registered
Reaction score
also consider self publishing if it is a small niche book. I went that route because of the small niche and I wanted to keep as much of the profits as possible.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for the suggestions. I will definitely look into those.

Yeah, I also thought about potentially self-publishing, although at this point I'm leaning more towards going through a publisher. That whole dictionary thing is a sticky point.

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I second the suggestion of Elizabeth Lyon's book on proposals. It is a classic! I read a couple and hers was the most helpful.

Platform is crucial. Seriously, just take a look at various agent's webpages, their guidelines. Quite often they will say right there that for non-fiction platform is a must. Good writing is nothing without a platform. I don't believe that even credentials are enough, but you can check out their query guidelines and come to your own conclusions.

Here is a helpful article from an agent's blog about platform:

10 Tidbits About Author Platform

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

For certain niche market, credentials are all you need. I should know. But yes, for most non-fic, platform is essential.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal