What's your book subject?

keston925

Registered
Reaction score
A memoir.... :)

I thought I would expand on this... its funny, maddening and sad. But it has a happy ending.

My Memoir is about a year and a half of my little families life, when my partner (we are lesbian) and I decided to surrogate (using my partners egg) for another lesbian couple, Silicon Valley executives who had spent $250,000 and five years trying to get pregnant. We thought we would be their hero's. Only we would face trials and tribulations of our own trying to get pregnant for them when we discovered that my partners IUD had caused her ovulation problems. We spent seven (unexpected months) trying to get pregnant for these women, who started to become resentful. A lot was on our shoulders. We promised we would be their hero's and we were failing.

Finally after spending countless hours researching, treatments and doctors I discovered an herbal cure. But it wasn't coming fast enough. After being treated badly by the women and their two sperm donor's (who came with their own over the top personalities and agendas) we decided to "give up as soon as she got her next period, we would tell them", only my partner never got her period. We were at last pregnant! And we were the hero's.

After a few months we all opted to see the baby "up close and personal" in an in depth ultrasound test which detects fetal abnormalities. All we cared about was getting to see the baby and were not disappointed when the baby looked amazing. Everyone cried with happiness until the doctor came in.

"There is something wrong with the baby".

What happened afterward is what the book is about. Friendships were destroyed, political beliefs changed and all involved had to look at the monsters in their mirrors.

The memoir is about the baby who would face deadly discrimination from unexpected sources, its about fighting for life... its about a little warrior who beat the odds! It is about my daughter and the lessons she taught me.

100% of the proceeds of the book will be directed to a foundation which will help other families get educated before discriminating or listening blindly to arrogant doctors without getting various points of view!

Last edited:

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
My first is my experiences in Japan as a bi-racial child in a very conservative part of the country and my second is a fictionalized account of my class trip to Spain in high school.

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net

Coffee & Canopy is book about our experiences in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Monkeys! Crocodiles! Bats! Venomous sea snakes! Volcanoes!

Cover photo is one I took of Nicaragua’s Masaya volcano.

ntortorella

Registered
Reaction score
I generally write about freelancing/small business topics – starting and running a business, marketing, sales & such.

I'm currently working on an Content Marketing for Freelance Writers. The title will probably change, but it's a start. For the most part, it's about freelance writers tapping into content marketing for their business and also offering it as a service to their clients.

The traditional publishing industry has changed so much over the past several years. In talking with a few author friends, I found the majority of them were trying the e-book route. I went that route for my last book, The Freelance Writer's Business Book, and so far, so good. The content marketing book will also be an e-book, as well.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I write local history, local historical true crime, and on Native American land issues. Getting a murder ready for kindle etc, and the one in my siggy on land rights, I'm not sure if I'll self-publish that one or look for a publisher. Lots of interesting topics in this thread!

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I have 3 memoirs going.
1st...the happy, sad, and horrors of being married to a man I never really knew
2nd.....the exploits of being a surgical technician and the chaos of staying sterile during surgery and 30 years of funny and sad memories
3rd......my growing up being A.D.D., left-handed and dyslexic....in the 50s and 60s.....

LongevityLetter

Registered
Reaction score
I have two non-fiction books in the works. The first one is a practical guide on teaching calorie restriction (this diet - abbreviated in journals as CRON is the most reliable method of prolonging lifespan in worms, rodents and primates; there are some short human studies as well). Since most people dig their early graves with the fork, I thought about a book making frugal eating interesting and very efficient in terms of money and gained energy.

LongevityLetter

Registered
Reaction score
The second book I am preparing is on species with negligible senescence - these are animals and plants who don't seem to age; they are just as fertile and robust as young.

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
I've had an odd and interesting life, so to start with I wrote a no-kidding all-out autobiography. It's a TOME, coming in at 893,000 words.

Then I began carving specific publication-sized chunks out of it, spans of time that sort of constitute a "story" with story arc and all that, did some expansions and contractions and other edits on them...

COMPLETE SO FAR:

a) The Story of Q: A GenderQueer Tale, i.e., a gender-identity coming-of-age and coming-out story / memoir, 93,000 words

b) That Guy In Our Women's Studies Class, i.e., memoir of a male women's studies major at the BA and PhD levels, again about 93,000 words

NEXT UP (RELATIVELY EASY):

c) A memoir about working as a social worker (elder abuse case worker) in the Bronx, including infighting between agencies and other administrative considerations as well as advocacy and case work ==> I have about 90K words' worth for this

d) An account of being in polyamorous relationships, starting with backstory of inclinations in that direction and ideological belief in it and so on, then meeting partners, growth of relationships, poly-specific issues, etc ==> I have about 72K words on this

ALSO IN THE WORKS (MORE LABOR INVOLVED):

e) Story of being incarcerated in an intense high-end behavior modification oriented psych & rehab facility, trying to get something good out of it, deterioration of situation, adversarial posturing, dramatic conclusion involving break-out and escape. ==> I have a very good 12-15K words recounting this story, but would require significant expansion

I have other book-notions that do not draw upon the autobio for source material , but that's where I'm focused at the moment.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
The only nonfiction I have in the works right now deals with growing up with a bad mental illness that just evolved and matured over time. The adults refused to do anything about it when told and my peers harassed me over it. It was to the point where people would pick on me in class and the adults would either watch and do nothing or side with the aggressor. I don't have a single hint of a good memory growing up, but anyway.

The working title is "That Certain State of Mind." The only reason I'm going to write this is to hopefully quell some misconceptions on mental illness and the people that live with them. When finished, I will outright refuse to show this to my family due to what my mental state was like growing up.

I should say that the book is only about me and mainly about what I went through mentally not physically.

Helena_R

Registered
Reaction score
I believe my NF would have to fall under "Other."
It's a compilation of multiple bizarre and out-right odd dating experiences of several people, including myself, that I have forced on to an unsuspecting fictional character. So, I'm not even sure it qualifies as true NF? All of the events are completely true - from the psychological molestation of a friends step-dad, to an adult boyfriend who barked...
It grew from one night of drinking, among several girlfriends (we're in our forties) comparing out current lives and our strangest dating experiences, and wondering if our current statuses were affected by our induction into the dating scene, our childhood experiences with the opposite sex, and the way our parents handled our sexual evolution. It's an interesting journey.
It's been difficult to share things I never dreamed of sharing, and my friends feel the same way. There are things we all have buried so deeply that it takes some time and patience, and courage, to dig through all the dirt. But it has been easier to take our experiences and shove them onto someone else. Sometimes I feel sorry for our character, she has definitely lead an interestingly sordid life...

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

It's technically fiction. But hey, you can post here on how you used non-fic events in a fictional book if you want.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Historical for my books about the Japanese-American internment (I have 3 planned about various aspects) and other (memoir/autobiography) for my book dealing with racial/disability and bullying issues. This is part catharsis and part "we need more diverse books"-y.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Currently working on an adventure novel, it's very exciting to read all the other comments and to see how different we all are.