• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Noble Romance Publishing

KariGregg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KariGregg.com
So true! You are actually in a better place than I am-- stuck with a half dozen previously published books that probably won't see the light of day again.

It's been my experience that reprints aren't high on anyone's acquisition list for someone who isn't a big seller.

That isn't the way I elected to go, but self-pub couldn't be easier. Doing a re-edit could cost you some bucks, yeah, but you should be able to get a nice cover for under $100 (maybe a lot under, depending on who you use). I have a girl do the formatting and conversion for me for an hourly rate that is usually less than twenty bucks. Easy peasy.

Anyway, I didn't get the email since I'm no longer a Noble author, but I just wanted to say that I'm ecstatic for the friends who were still caught in the Noble suck zone. If you haven't emailed to get your formal rights release/termination, please do so immediately! You'll need that to take to other publishers (if you go that way with your reissues) and/or mop up any stray listings with vendors that Noble may miss. I'm happy for you guys. Happy, happy, happy. Freedom, sweet freedom. :snoopy:

Fae Sutherland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
faesutherland.com
I'm glad everybody on this thread is happy. This is not good news for me. Edits were just completed on my first book. And please no nasty comments. There has been enough nastiness on this thread.

I've been exactly where you are, writerreader, and trust me when I say this is the best thing that could have happened to your book. My very first novel sold to what I thought was a reputable company in 2006. I was over the freaking moon happy. So happy I ignored the little warning signs and red flags I might have noticed otherwise and gave the pub a lot of latitude because it was my first time and I was sure they knew better than me how things should work.

I'll give you the short version and say a year later my book was stuck in editing limbo when abruptly the publisher folded out from under us all. It was devastating, thinking I'd never sell again, what if no one else wanted to take a chance on me, my books, what if this was the end of my career before it even started.

It was the exact opposite. I took that book (once I'd fought tooth and nail with the owner who didn't want to go to the effort of writing true release of rights letters) and sold it to the biggest epub in the game at the time, Ellora's Cave. And I've published over 25 books and novellas since.

So it's not the end. It's the best thing. It gets said a lot but it's so true - better to not be published at all than to be poorly published. It's especially true in today's rapidly changing publishing industry. This is an invaluable lesson - in how it should NOT be done. Take everything you 'learned' at Noble and go bigger, better next time.

Don't wait too long, either, or this can become a weight you can't shake. Get back out there with your newly freed book and give it a real home.

KE-writer

Registered
Reaction score
I would highly recommend those who got rights back to learn how to upload your book to Amazon and self-publish. I did that right away, bought a new cover from a reputable online designer, re-edited it myself (maybe a mistake, but I hadn't looked at the story in several years, so I could look at it with fresh eyes), and got onto Amazon. Had a highly successful 5-day book giveaway. Now making more sales than I ever did with Noble. Go for it!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Okaaaay. That's interesting news. To refresh my poor memory without speed-reading through the Noble thread: how much did Jill actually have to do with the implosion of Noble?

ETA: never mind, found it on the EC thread.

Last edited:

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Okaaaay. That's interesting news. To refresh my poor memory without speed-reading through the Noble thread: how much did Jill actually have to do with the implosion of Noble?

ETA: never mind, found it on the EC thread.

Sorry, I was in the middle of working on a longer post when my internet blew up last night, so I was on my iPad and had limits to copying/pasting. It's still broken, but now I'm using my computer through my iPad's connection.

Upthread, Jill announces her departure from Noble. (I understand, perhaps mistakenly, that she was the principal person at NRP.)

TPV post: http://www.thepassivevoice.com/04/2013/avoid-noble-romance/

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There was a closing notice to authors in 2013. They are indeed closed. They did not wind up and remove all blogs and social media

Last edited: