F1 2013

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to Spa Francochamps, that track is absolute class. And a lot of entertainment as well.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
F1 has returned once more. This season's timetable is all over the place! Anyway, Hungary this weekend. My money's on a Red Bull, a Ferrari, or a Mercedes (or a Lotus). Reckon I've got my bases covered there...

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
F1 has returned once more. This season's timetable is all over the place! Anyway, Hungary this weekend. My money's on a Red Bull, a Ferrari, or a Mercedes (or a Lotus). Reckon I've got my bases covered there...

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So a pretty good race to take us into the mid-season break - is it me, or does it feel like there have already been about four mid-season breaks this year?

Great drive from Webber in particular, although his countryman Ricciardo had a nightmare. Grosjean needs a slap for throwing away a chance at a podium with clumsy moves on Button and Massa.

Big questions going into the break:
- Can Ferrari improve their car enough to give Alonso a shot at the championship? They were the fourth fastest team out there and Vettel has an intimidating gap.
- What the hell has happened to Force India? They had no pace at all in Hungary even before they retired (hydraulic leaks), and Germany wasn't much better.
- Are we actually seeing an improvement in McLaren's form? Despite all the commentators' assertions that we are, they didn't finish much better than usual.
- How long are RBR going to string out the gossip over Mark's seat (I'm putting my money on Ricciardo getting it)? The speculation is fun and everything, but it's starting to get a little tired.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I'm putting my money on RBR pulling a fast one and the seat not going to either of the two announced finalists. It just seems...well, more F1 :D.

ETA: My brother and I were discussing what would happen if Raikonnen got the seat and in a race was told to hold position behind a race-leading Vettel. Much hilarity ensued :evil.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
So a pretty good race to take us into the mid-season break - is it me, or does it feel like there have already been about four mid-season breaks this year?
Not just you. The gap between the last two races seem way too long, and I thought that had been the summer break. But, nope. We get another.

It was a great race and a great win for Lewis. Although he could've toned down his dedication to his ex. Get over her all ready. She has with you.

And Alonso will be going to Red Bull next year. ;)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The bit with Lewis going mushy over Nicole was just cringe-y. I almost unfollowed him on Twitter because he kept posting this maudlin pining crap about her, but I decided to stick around (mainly for the inevitable moment when he posts Nico's speed traces in a fit of pique ;)).

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Ricciardo to Red Bull. Onesecondglance wins!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, I wish Formula 1 was back.

All my TV gets is reruns of Racing with Seb...

:Shrug:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
No, I do. I'm just whining. =)

And I don't care how they spin it,
still a very good race weekend for Felipe.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there it is.

When Rubens Barrichello left Ferarri, I cried. I did. He was a teddy bear of a race car driver, everyone liked him, and a gentleman to boot! No one could ever take his place... and along came the upstart kid of Felipe Massa, and he had a lot to prove.

Under the long shadow of Micheal Schumacher he continued in the bridesmaid tradition, even when Michael retired and Kimi stepped in to win his championship. when Alonzo was hired, no one knew which of the two would prove to be the A driver.

All along, Felipe waited his chance, and if the Interlagos track had been one corner shorter... the bridesmaid would have been champion! But luck ran out, and Alonzo got better behind the wheel.

In 2009 the oddest thing ever ended Felipe's season when a suspension bit from Barrichello's Braun during qualifying crashed into his helmet. Some say, he was never quite the same driver after that, but still he pressed on, scored points, and towed the company line.

Today, he announced he is leaving Ferrari at the end of this season.

What seems like a so-so career by the press is far more impressive on paper. Felipe ends his tour with Ferarri as the single most successful b-driver Ferarri has ever had. More podiums, more points, more poles (not more starts!) than any gone before him.

He won me over... and if the rumors are true,
I'll be rooting for Lotus to win next year. =)

Best of luck Felipe!
(who oddly enough is looking a little teddy bearish now!) =)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I am really unsure about them pairing Kimi with Fernando. I think it could end in tears: remember Alonso being a sulky so-and-so while paired with Lewis at McLaren, and Kimi being much the same when paired with Massa at Ferrari first time around. They do not play well with others.

I also can't see Massa getting a decent drive - I doubt Lotus will have him, and there aren't many other seats out there. :(

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Remember in the fairly early laps of last weekend's race, when the team had Massa let Alonso by? I'm trying to imagine Kimi complying with those team orders, but I don't think my imagination stretches quite that far. I will have to see it to believe it.

Ferrari also has the reputation of not liking their drivers to get too comfortable, and of liking to keep their drivers on their toes by pitting them against each other in almost a snakepit atmosphere.

Or so I've heard ;).

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Felipe. If he wants to drive... who in their right mind would turn down someone with that much experience as a developmental driver?

I have to agree though, with Mr. "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing." back at Ferarri... and Alonzo being a caricature of a race car driver... it promises to be terribly entertaining! :roll:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
BBC News said:
McLaren want Fernando Alonso to rejoin them next season and have made the Ferrari driver their prime target. The Spaniard is unsettled at Ferrari and McLaren hope to persuade him to return to a team he drove for in 2007.

Asked if he wanted the double world champion, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "Yes - any team would. He's the best driver.

"I don't know his contractual situation. I assume he's under contract," he told BBC Sport.

If McLaren were able to secure Alonso, he would replace Mexican Sergio Perez. Jenson Button is under contract and will stay on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24171278

The BBC are stirring again... mind, looking at Perez's points tally this year, I wouldn't blame McLaren. They should have taken the Hulk over Perez.