I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
There has been so much yelling in this office today

twice I've had people ask who or what is yelling

who or what

and once, a salesman asked if coworker was yelling at him, and I said, around a burbling laughter, "not this time, right now she's yelling at somebody else, consider yourself lucky."

New office motto: $h!+ rolls downhill! F#$K Everybody!

We're going to have it monogrammed on tshirts.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky your shit only rolls. My office shit flies onto clothing or worse. And when not flying, it's still prevelant.

I'm still helping, right?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the universe implodes, it has nothing to do with my having finished my first new story in longer than I want to admit to, AND having subbed it to a contest.

Seriously. Not my fault.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's that distant roaring sound?

Luckily, the Cantina is it's own universe. We should be safe here.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
reverse the polarity of the multi-quote!

I'm trying to remember where I was and what I was doing four years ago. I'm thinking I might have been in Texas, searching for oryxes (orexi?) with an Australian. Anyone else know? (About yourselves, not me)

Same job, same house, probably sitting in the same chair or sacked out on the couch, under doctor's orders not to so much as twitch if I could help it.

Looking back at what I wrote on LJ that day, it's full of a lot of stuff that, in hindsight, I wish I could have told myself to not worry about (fear of having premature twins), not care so much about (my job, which was shortly to go full-tilt into suckville) and to let go of (my novel out on submission, which broke my heart -- there's a reason I haven't managed to send out another since.)

Her: No, because they have a laxative effect.

Couldn't take a handful and stick 'em out in the company break room when she wasn't around?

How does a rotten chicken get on the line?

To get to the other side?

New office motto: $h!+ rolls downhill! F#$K Everybody!

We're going to have it monogrammed on tshirts.

Vaguely random anecdote: Many years back I worked for a company, in a brand new building, where almost everybody had a mug that said "I survived xxxx Road". xxxx Rd was where the previous office had been while they were building the new one. That building had problems, one of which was that somehow pigeons were getting into the building and nesting inside the dropped ceiling. Then some genius had the bright idea of poisoning the pigeons, and did so, and then the ceiling was full of dead pigeons. And then bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. Bugs that would fall out of the ceiling onto people while they were working, and eventually cover all horizontal surfaces (desks, filing cabinets, the top of the water cooler, etc.) over the course of each night.

Even with them drilling into the concrete directly over my office, or the cockroaches in the basement big enough that I've mistaken them for mice on first glance more than once, or last week when apparently they bolloxed up the sewage system for the entire 1500 ACRES (6 sq km?) my workplace covers and had to email 30,000 people begging them not to flush any toilets for the next several hours, it's never been anywhere near that bad.

Last edited:

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
If the universe implodes, it has nothing to do with my having finished my first new story in longer than I want to admit to, AND having subbed it to a contest.

Seriously. Not my fault.

Good luck! and good job! *fist bump* :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Vaguely random anecdote: Many years back I worked for a company, in a brand new building, where almost everybody had a mug that said "I survived xxxx Road". xxxx Rd was where the previous office had been while they were building the new one. That building had problems, one of which was that somehow pigeons were getting into the building and nesting inside the dropped ceiling. Then some genius had the bright idea of poisoning the pigeons, and did so, and then the ceiling was full of dead pigeons. And then bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. Bugs that would fall out of the ceiling onto people while they were working, and eventually cover all horizontal surfaces (desks, filing cabinets, the top of the water cooler, etc.) over the course of each night.

Even with them drilling into the concrete directly over my office, or the cockroaches in the basement big enough that I've mistaken them for mice on first glance more than once, or last week when apparently they bolloxed up the sewage system for the entire 1500 ACRES (6 sq km?) my workplace covers and had to email 30,000 people begging them not to flush any toilets for the next several hours, it's never been anywhere near that bad.

uh... is bug another word for maggot???

:gaah

I just grossed myself out.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
No, no! Don't stop! The movie in my head is horrible, but beautiful at the same time. The intensity of the raining maggots...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, no! Don't stop! The movie in my head is horrible, but beautiful at the same time. The intensity of the raining maggots...

Agreed. There are several horror short stories and possibly an entire novel in there. If anything, this needs to be taken to a different forum. Like the Hounds.

But it's fascinating.

I also find it amazing that no one thought through the consequences of poisoning the pigeons.

:D

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. There are several horror short stories and possibly an entire novel in there. If anything, this needs to be taken to a different forum. Like the Hounds.

But it's fascinating.

I also find it amazing that no one thought through the consequences of poisoning the pigeons.

I think it is amazing, too. But, sadly, not terribly surprised. But, you have America's Funniest Home Videos(if that is still around, I'm 15 years out of touch), epic fail sites and the like, that exist solely because there are many people who fail to think through the consequences of whatever they are doing.

My basic rule for life= All people is stoopidz, until proven otherwise.

My bar for an acceptable level of proof is actually quite low. Generally walking and breathing at the same time gets you pretty close.

(All people in the cantina automatically qualify as not-stoopidz, cause this is a cool place to be and it takes smartz to know that.)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is amazing, too. But, sadly, not terribly surprised. But, you have America's Funniest Home Videos(if that is still around, I'm 15 years out of touch),

Yup, still around. My daughter, who is 8, greatly enjoys the show, and it has actually taught her many beneficial life lessons.

Such as: don't stand too close to the pinata.

And, if it seems like a stupid idea, it probably is.

And, boys (and men) seem to have a preponderance of stupid.

I'm hoping she retains that last lesson through the next ten years or so.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, still around. My daughter, who is 8, greatly enjoys the show, and it has actually taught her many beneficial life lessons.

Such as: don't stand too close to the pinata.

And, if it seems like a stupid idea, it probably is.

And, boys (and men) seem to have a preponderance of stupid.

I'm hoping she retains that last lesson through the next ten years or so.

I always thought it was unfair that the males of our species had such large amounts of that trait.

And you can't go too wrong by following those three rules.

GreenEpic

...because you don't know yourself
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Cantina! I haven't been around for a while. No reason except that I suck.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought it was unfair that the males of our species had such large amounts of that trait.

And you can't go too wrong by following those three rules.

It's what made them such good hunters. No risk, no reward.

Of course, now that they are only allowed to hunt paychecks...let's just say, they really, really like fast cars and roller coasters.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

EPIC!

*tackle hug*

we missed you! we figured your sister had killed you and buried you in the back yard. Not that that precluded your return (in handy z-person form). It just slowed you down.

;)

GreenEpic

...because you don't know yourself
Registered
Reaction score
I survived Kricket's rage. (We all know shes a little :crazy:).

An epic this verdant cannot be squashed!

Debio

Registered
Reaction score

Well, since by the rules, people in the Cantina don't suck, you must not. Either that or your suckiness ended before you came in. Which means, since I am meeting you for the first time, any suckiness that existed before now, is only a figment of my imagination. I shall therefore decide it doesn't exist, and never did. So there :tongue

It balances out the aggression when we continually hurt/temporarily neuter ourselves.

Watching those video clips, I often find myself praying that they would neuter themselves....And I'm agnostic.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
hey hey!

I tried to post yesterday, but I can't find my post? SO I guess it got ated somehow.

TO recap: THANKS for the release-day love!

And WOOOO SPACE PIRATE YES PLEASE

morning. :D

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
hey hey!

I tried to post yesterday, but I can't find my post? SO I guess it got ated somehow.

TO recap: THANKS for the release-day love!

And WOOOO SPACE PIRATE YES PLEASE

morning. :D

Amazon UK have despatched my copy! It's approaching ever nearer, it's coming up the road, it's nearly at my letterbox...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Epic! I was going to ask about you but was afraid you'd quit us!

Dudes, I was having breakfast while backreading. :mad:

So my diet plan is working... Only you are too skinny already. Eat, eat. No more horror stories from me. For now.

Status
Not open for further replies.