Not open for further replies.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Good morning, lovelies!

I repped as I read, but I'm still seriously touch and go. Literally couldn't make myself get up yesterday, so I have to do all the homework today before sleep. Oh well. Love all the purgy crafts, on which note, I'm turning my multigenre writing project for English into a scrapbook - here's to creative outlets that don't involve words. Or well, something other than words on top of all the words.

Also, here's to Clovia getting hot librarian glasses! :D

Is that cappuccino I smell over at the bar?

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Morning, all.

Tas, good work. I'm partial to the lower one, too. Always loved corals and dusty roses.

Sammy, when my son was younger, he would have *killed* for that afghan.

Clovia, glasses have been a fashion accessory here for about five years, which made life so much easier when my son needed them. Finally nerddom is in. Do you have a photo??

*Delurks to appreciate Rick's awesome typo, intentional or not*

:D
Hope you delurk more often.

Almost over, kellion. Sounds like your male guest is reaching the limits of his comfort, so perhaps you won't be put on the spot in the future.

Hotel Room Blue says hi:

Haha. Love that energy and intensity.

Hi Blue pup!

A reader told me today that I inspired her to pick up her writing again and she wanted to thank me and let me know.:eek:
Congrats. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Morning. Grr. Survived a phone call from mom during which I mouthed "F*** You" several times. :mad: Please ignire the following rant if you desire. The way this happened: Her friend needed a pacemaker. Supposed to get to the hospital at 10 am. The night before, they called her to say that the surgery had been moved up and she needed to come in at 6 am. She called her daughter, who'd turned off her phone. She left a message, but panicked and called my mom, and my mom took her there, the daughter showing up around 8. So mom spent 10 minutes on the phone to me this morning botching about what an irresponsible, thoughtless woman the daughter is, to turn off her phone... and how dare I turn off my phone at night even though Mr. Lily keeps his on 24/7? If something happened, she'd think of calling me, not Mr. Lily. Over and over and over. Bitch, yell, bitch, lecture. Over and over. Me on the other end mouthing "F*** You!"

:e2bummed: She will never change. She is exactly like her mother, who never let go of an idea order until everyone did things the way she wanted. And she wonders why I don't want to spend more time with her or talk to her for long on the phone. She's not always like this, but she does it enough that I want to scream at her. I never do, because what good would it do? She's my mother and she's really a giving, caring person--but she's domineering and bitchy as well.

I hate this.

In other news, I've discovered a sign of the apocalypse: A made-for-SyFy move that doesn't suck! It actually creeped me out at the end.

Love the Spider-Man! When the boys were little I made them Pokemon picture sweaters. I forget which critters. So much easier in little-boys sizes. :)

I found caramel rolls at the store--the Pillsbury bake-and-drizzle kind. They're at the bar.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Getting ready to do our SWt0R podcast (writers' roundtable). Today I plan to write like crazy, finishing reading a book, grade papers, walk on my treadmill at some point and maybe squeeze in a nap. *Nods like she believes she can actually do all that*

Love the afghans, Tas and Sammy.

Hotel Room Blue looks darling. Good luck today!

That's about all I got.

ETA: I'm totally snarfing down all the rolls. What? Do you have any idea how long it's been since I had anything remotely resembling bread?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Lily}}} *feeds Lily some drizzled caramel rolls and hot tea*

*sigh* Mother's can be frustrating, indeed.

I repped, as usual.

Good luck with the podcast, Dragon!

Do you think hearing aids will ever be fashionable? :D

I was so happy not to get sick on vacay. Guess what I woke up with yesterday? Swollen glands and headache-just in time for the holiday. It's not too terrible, but :(

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, instead of waiting around with cold, whining kids, take them out to breakfast or something else that's a bit of a treat and arrange to be at an agreed-upon place about the time the houseguest expects to finish. Hell, take her husband along and maybe he'll pick up the check. It sounds like he knows he owes you guys something.

Lovely afghans, everyone. I do not crochet, so I'm awed. I'm also in the market for an afghan for my living room, so if anybody wants to earn some money *after Christmas* (since I assume crafty people are giving crafted gifts), holler.

I was in a nasty mood most of yesterday, having lost a small battle with town government. (Whoever issues dumpster permits needs to have one face their living room for the next two years--like they've allowed me to enjoy.) Anyway, that plus a rejection was all it took. Today, I'm better. Rereading an abandoned WIP and thinking that's the one to take up again. The first 12,000 words are pretty good, actually.

Lily, congratulations for holding your tongue. You're right, she won't change, and by now she probably can't, so the only person you can control is as it always has been, yourself.

I'm liking Hotel Room Blue's portrait, BTW. So much eager intelligence in that face!

I'm trying to be extremely strict with myself in terms of eating, because come Thursday, all that goes out the window. I asked the family collectively what the essentials were for Thanksgiving--did we need homemade rolls and mashed potatoes and stuffing? Yes. Also two pies--and there are four of us, for heaven's sake. And I have to make those pumpkin muffins, too, and the next day can't we make homemade pizzas?

All I can do is try not to pig out as much as I could, but I'm going to be fairly helpless in the face of all that yumminess.

Maryn, not thin yet

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Two warm, purring cats + nap = lovely afternoon interlude.

It's fall. That means fresh cranberries are the store again. I just made cranberry-orange relish: 1 bag of cranberries + 1 orange incl. rind. Grind it up in the food processor and add sugar to taste. It's wonderful on biscuits and waffles. So yes, there will be biscuits for supper tonight, along with the chicken roasting in the oven (salt, pepper, garlic, sage). It's a big chicken and College Boy and GF will not be here. Dinner's at 6. How many extra places should I set? :)

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Tas and Sammy - great afghans!

CB - cute photo of Blue! I have so many thoughts swirling around that would be perfect for that intense look of his.

KT - Yay! for your writing inspiring others!

Clovia - with your photographphobia, any chance at a pic of you wearing the specs? :)

Dragon - good luck on the podcast!

:hi: Hi Becky! We miss you!

{{{Lily}}} *feeds Lily some drizzled caramel rolls and hot tea*
* Pulls up stool next to Lily *

(((Cricket))) Glad you didn't get sick on vacation, but HUGs for the yuckies back home.

(((Kell)))

(((Lily)))

(((Maryn)))

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lily, Rick's picking me up any minute now, so set two more places. Four if spouses are coming.

I'm supposedly making chicken kebabs, but somehow the fresh pineapple which has been scenting the kitchen (and causing fruit flies to spontaneously generate) for days now has failed to cut itself up. Wegmans has the price guarantee for another six weeks, and fresh pineapple is delicious. I keep buying them, then resenting the time it takes to prepare them for eating.

Maryn, essentially lazy

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Hey peeps - hope everyone's having a good Sunday, and thanks for the reps/messages. I'm going to try to be around more from here out. Don't want to bore anyone about why I haven't been, but suffice it to say it's time to stop being mopey. :)

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, y'all!

My in-laws got here last night. They are lovely people, and only just a little odd. And to be perfectly fair, some of the oddities are my perception based on my over attachment to my mom. But so far, so good. They just left to go back to their hotel, and stayed and played with the kids til dark, which was very nice.

Blond, I said it on FB, but I'm so happy for you and JL both! *good job dust*

I've had a flip flop of cooking issues this weekend. I made salsa and homemade cornbread (like, they had fresh ground cornmeal at the farmer's market yesterday, so I bought some and made cornbread from scratch to go with the chili) and it was AWESOME. Today, I tried to make my gramma's Christmas cookies, as is our Sunday before Thanksgiving tradition, and they're ... meh. I can't figure out what the hell I did wrong. First they weren't flattening out at all, and very crumbly, so I thought the eggs I used from the farm were too small and maybe I hadn't put in enough oil. I added an egg and a little more oil. Now they're too oily. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to chuck them and make more next weekend. But I need to figure out why they're messed up first. Sigh. Any of our cooks have an idea?

Lily, that sounds yummy! I wish I was close enough to come for dinner. :)

Kell, I hope the race was better than you expected.

Billie, super cute pup! :)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
*waves at rab*

Lwalker, since it sounds like you've made the recipe before and it turned out, the only thing I can think of is maybe the dough was colder this time than on the past? Also if the eggs are just slightly smaller, it's better to add a little water to the dough rather than another egg, because the more eggs, the more cake-like the cookies.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. Cooking I can help with but baking is an entirely different animal.

So agent man and i had a long talk and he *mostly* likes my Faery novel.... his problem with is is the problem *everyone* had with it.... which means a total overhaul of a book i trunked over a year ago. O.O

I am not freaked out I am not freaked out....

Wow. Purgatory is so crafty! I haz no skillz with my hands.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
*waves at rab*

Lwalker, since it sounds like you've made the recipe before and it turned out, the only thing I can think of is maybe the dough was colder this time than on the past? Also if the eggs are just slightly smaller, it's better to add a little water to the dough rather than another egg, because the more eggs, the more cake-like the cookies.

Yep. I make them every year. The only other thing I did different was use my mixer to mix them this time. Which has made every other kind of cookie come out better. I did sub some whole wheat flour in there because I ran out of white, but would less than 25% of the flour for the whole batch make that big a difference?

I didn't know that about the eggs, though -- that's prolly why they're too cakey/chewy for me now.

Sigh. I'm going to toss them and get more stuff at the grocery store tomorrow and just redo them with the right flour and the bigger eggs and see if it comes out right.

Thanks!

Lela, woohoo for possibilities for novel!

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Kell, I'd be so cranky about something like that, my husband would quickly find a way to uninvite people.

~~~~~~> Me. Seriously. I am past the point in my life where I bend over backwards for people who are not close friends/family. (Spent a lot of time door-matting in my youth. Done.)

Hopefully things don't go too badly, Kellion.

BLOND!!!! CONGRATS to you and JL!!!!! So exciting!!!! Apologies if you've heard this a bajillion times, but have you guys seen the How I Met Your Mother where Marshall is waiting to hear if he passed the bar? It's probably my favorite episode (with singing!), and is from a time when the show wasn't terrible (Like now. IMHO).

{{Lily}} So sorry about the mama drama. Sounds like it is very draining :(

Charming, that pup is SO CUTE! I want to hug him!

Big Hello to Chan and May!!! :welcome:

So, I have a happy pic:

MY FIRST PASS PAGES!!! WOOT!

(Click the pic to visit my blog post where I talk about ALL THE FEELINGS that came with receiving them. If you want ;) It's a short post.)

Hugs and congrats to anyone I've missed!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Lela, did you just say "I have no skills with my hands"? Um... DEADLY WEAPONS is a skill. :D

*waves at Becky*

LynDee, email me the recipe and I'll see what I can suggest.

moon, those galleys are loverly!

Supper dishes cleaned and I played with the kitten. Time. To. Write.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Podcast done. I wrote. I read. I made notes. No nap. Treadmill coming up during Boardwalk Empire. May have wine along with that walk. I'll write even more later.
Dinner time now. My life is soo exciting. :D

Last edited:

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
We are home from the tracking test. Sadly, Hotel Room Blue did not turn into Super VST Blue because I wouldn't follow him when he wanted to go off the track (but if I had followed him he would have come back to the track as I learned too late). Instead we went on the wrong side of the building and failed.

BUT, they always let you finish the track so when put back on he did a great job and I was very happy with him, though sad that I am not quite as smart as he is. He also tracked by a BIG, very noise HVAC unit--so, good boy, Blue!

This is the track, more or less.

For anyone who's wondering, Blue is a German Pinscher, which are generally known as the original pinscher. They almost died out during WWII (pretty much single-handedly saved by Werner Jung who actually smuggled at least one dog out of East Germany in the 50s).

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
For anyone who's wondering, Blue is a German Pinscher, which are generally known as the original pinscher. They almost died out during WWII (pretty much single-handedly saved by Werner Jung who actually smuggled at least one dog out of East Germany in the 50s).

Explains why he looks a bit like a Dobie but not.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Go, Dragonstar! That's quite a weekend.
Good for Hotel Room Blue, even if VST didn't happen properly...

I'd say my weekend was worse than I expected, from the 7 pm Friday start at a four-year-old's birthday party to the guests leaving at 4 pm on Sunday.

Oh well -- I am sustained by the promise of a 2 1/2 day work week! Who's with me? That makes it more like Wednesday lunch now instead of Monday morning. Maybe I'll have sandwich for breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.