You guys know what today is, right?

SINGLE DIGIT COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS!!!

00000-1_zps2ba9a916.jpg

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just awarded myself 200 EXP for deciding which story idea I should stick to. And I genuinely feel that 200 EXP is warranted for me accomplishing that.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I am not succumbing to the site. Really, I can't even begin to imagine what would count as worth ten, or twenty, or fifty XP. If anything, I would prefer preset values assigned to each activity, that way any gaming of the system is managed. How much is uploading another five pages to the website worth? Or writing ten thousand words? Or... dealing with the rampant idiocy I am subjected to in RL? The arbitrary nature of the "rewards" seems to turn me off.

Well, the site really tries to discourage awarding yourself the maximum amount of EXP to each job you do. Really. They make you read and agree to an honor code and everything :D

Like Ali says, you choose whether you found an activity/chore you just completed easy, normal, hard, or really (really) hard. Like, when I walk my dogs in sunny weather, it's easy. The EXP get upgraded to normal when it's raining or really cold out. :D

Anyway *goes back to completing the ess out of chores*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*Waves at dog* Hello dog.

ION, I have ditched tomorrow's review book. If you're planning to read 'More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon - don't bother unless you're an insomniac, it's so deathly boring, it's hit a whole new level.

I like Theodore Sturgeon, but "More Than Human" is not a great one to start with. Try "The Dreaming Jewels." I read both looooong year ago (like before puberty), and, while I liked More than Human, The Dreaming Jewels was much more accessible.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some sort of failsafe that prevents you from changing it back BW?

Yes. The threat of something much, much worse...

Well, the site really tries to discourage awarding yourself the maximum amount of EXP to each job you do. Really. They make you read and agree to an honor code and everything :D

It is still user-chosen. I like drop down boxes - lists which link to other lists, where you click on the XP you are after. Adding it in myself would feel like I am cheating even when I am not.

I'm strange, okay. Like people didn't know that...

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud: :gaah :e2smack: :Headbang: :rant:

This series of emoticons pretty much sums up work today. I really need a new job. I'm so tired of the crappy work environment, crappy hours, crappy management, and crappy pay. I'm not saying I deserve better, but I'd really like to have it.

This would make the Kraken sad. Whatever you turn your hand to, throughout the course of your life, you will hit walls and find unexpected problems to solve. These are not to be used as an excuse to retreat, but to strive harder, to fight against your impulses to shrink back. Take a moment to gather yourself, and when you hopefully walk back in there next semester you will do so head held high and determined to do your best. I'm rooting for you.
I'm with BW. And I can honestly say I empathize 100%. I basically failed my freshman year of college. I was in a major that was too far beyond my intellectual abilities. I did so bad, the university placed me on academic suspension. I wasn't allowed to come back for the fall semester. I felt like a worthless piece of crap, but I decided not to quit. Instead, I attended community college that semester. The classes were much easier. Some almost too easy, but it helped to boost my confidence. Then I returned in the spring, changed my major to something suitable and more enjoyable and eventually graduated.

Whatever you decide to do is your choice, but I just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone in your struggles. :)

Dog wants to say hi :)

sians_doggy_zps7918ef40.jpg
:D

Cute puppy. I want one.

ETA: I just found BW's new Christmas avatar:

GrumpyXmasKitty_zpse1b69228.jpg

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bah humbug.

My mom is coordinating what I get people. I was going to get my sister perfume, but my sister knows my mom bought it. So then my mom remebered my sister wants winter socks. So she will run to the store so that I can get my sister socks.

Yeah.

And people wonder why we dislike the holiday 'spirit'. Go away stress and daftness. We should just celebrate with food only like with thanksgiving.

Srsly.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
My mom is coordinating what I get people. I was going to get my sister perfume, but my sister knows my mom bought it. So then my mom remebered my sister wants winter socks. So she will run to the store so that I can get my sister socks.

Take this as an opportunity. If you buy people small things to add under the tree (and I may be alone in doing this) you can get everyone one "huh?" present. Nothing flashy or expensive, just weird things that can bring a smile to everyone's faces.

Last year I bout my brother a little Pez-like thing - a reindeer which craps little chocolate treats. Didn't make a big deal out of it, just snuck it under the tree with the rest of the presents. :D

Do this. Or something similar. If she is controlling things, then throwing a spanner in the works is enough to break some of the stress.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
The last day of finals for me was the 13th. However, I had a terrible semester, so I was way behind in all of my classes. I managed to catch up somewhat in three of them, but I had to get special permission to turn in work even after finals in the other two.

I was unfortunately unable to complete my history paper by the deadline. This will likely drop me from an A to a C in the class. I have yet to hear back about my computer science work, but even if he finds it acceptable, the best I can hope for in the web programming class is a low, low D.

I am strongly considering not going back next semester.

I'm sorry things have been going so badly for you. I had a rough start to this semester myself. I ended changing my major from something I'd always wanted to study to something I'd only vaguely thought about--and I'm so much happier for it. I couldn't handle the math, was petrified of the organic chem, and just overall knew I wasn't actually smart enough for my major. It was really humiliating to have to switch to a 'soft science' from a 'hard', but...it was the right thing to do. Is it your major that's making it so tough on you? Or was it the case of The Sads?*

Either way, don't give up without talking to your advisers. Maybe a semester off is the right thing, but don't do it just because your grades are messed up. GPAs can be fixed. :Hug2:

*I can empathize. I fell to the nearly non-functional level the last two weeks of classes. Only friends and sheer stubbornness kept me from giving up.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Bah humbug.

Yeah.

And people wonder why we dislike the holiday 'spirit'. Go away stress and daftness. We should just celebrate with food only like with thanksgiving.

Srsly.

This is why you get people weird presents like BW said. :) Or little things that are still really appreciated, like bath stuff or funny kitchen things. (Seriously, I saw a whisk that had either a frog or a pig made into the handle. Someone needs that in their life.)

In other news, me making strange Orc noises at my cat is not enticing her to sit with me. Lousy varmit.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Bah humbug.

Yeah.

Srsly.

Wait! Wait a minute! This may not be what we think it is.

You remember what you said about your mom and your sister over in the CC thread?

This may be your mom doing her 'I'm a worthy parent' bit, trying to prove to you that she is a success, and that she is invaluable in your life. May I suggest that one of the things you do is tell her that you love her even when she isn't being 'super-helpful' with your Christmas shopping.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not going to enable you xmas spirit people. .scowles. .scowls double at BW.

Wait! Wait a minute! This may not be what we think it is.

You remember what you said about your mom and your sister over in the CC thread?

This may be your mom doing her 'I'm a worthy parent' bit, trying to prove to you that she is a success, and that she is invaluable in your life. May I suggest that one of the things you do is tell her that you love her even when she isn't being 'super-helpful' with your Christmas shopping.

Well yes. She had called me, minutes after we had chatted already with this xmas talk. I was suportive by not grunting, groaning, or saying 'srsly?!?'

This prolly makes me a xmas enabler because my mom now has to get the gift rather than me, and there will be some level of stress. But it should be less stressful than me rocking the xmas boat.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
This prolly makes me a xmas enabler because my mom now has to get the gift rather than me, and there will be some level of stress. But it should be less stressful than me rocking the xmas boat.

So you made the best out of the situation that you could. Don't get down on yourself.

Wanna hide with me under the :chair ?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I could get my sister a freshly slaughtered squirrel and watch as she tries to accept it graciously. My Babcia would totally laugh. My uncle too

So you made the best out of the situation that you could. Don't get down on yourself.

Wanna hide with me under the :chair ?

I'll just put mine beside yours.

:chair:chair

:)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
stuff is probably licking your insides.....my Mexican stepmom always trying to feed us that - told her I dpn't want to eat what's lickin' the side of the pan!

AAAAAH. BETTIE. AHHHHHHH. :e2cry:

:D

I just need a good night's sleep, sigh. Haven't had more than a couple of hours per night for over a month. And my mom wonders why I sleep in :D

sleep....sleeeeeeeeep

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I am not succumbing to the site. Really, I can't even begin to imagine what would count as worth ten, or twenty, or fifty XP.

Yeah, I figure this is less about comparison (totally arbitrary) than helping yourself. Like, I'll maybe give finishing a submission-worthy novel 100 points. Maybe.

And I'm only listing achievements, not daily maintenance items because then I'd be on the site too much, which would utterly defeat the purpose, in my mind. :Shrug:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm only listing achievements, not daily maintenance items because then I'd be on the site too much, which would utterly defeat the purpose, in my mind. :Shrug:

:roll:

The world is already hooked up (there are small computers in fridges, cars, 'phones, televisions and pretty much everything these days) so one of these days someone will come up with a "game" which does pretty much what that site is doing, but completely integrated into RL. We are living in the future RIGHT NOW. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.