What's your book subject?

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My book is going to be like a funny memoir. The subject will be becoming a husband and father from a guy's perspective (I'm a military vet, history teacher and football coach... can you get anymore 'guy' than that?).

MIGUEL SALVADOR

Registered
Reaction score
The book subject we're planning to put out is a children's fact book on nocturnal primates & Im illustrating the book. It's gonna feature primarly prosimians such as nocturnal lemurs, lorises, bushbabies, & tarsiers & I'm working with a certified primatologist & with no publisher connects we're starting from the very bottom...

BlueDimity

Registered
Reaction score
my WIP/rewrite is a Christian fantasy in allegorical-form

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
Funny memoir with different short stories, similar to that of Dave Sedaris. To Flee or Not to Be; already published. (Self-Published) (Check sig if interested)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aside of scientific articles that I write for work, I have written a study guide to a very influential book in the natural sciences.

My other non-fic is currently in outline form, and is a scientific history book that documents several key technological advances since the mid-nineteenth century. The tough part of that book is, first off, understanding the technology myself and second putting it in terms a general audience will understand. At the same time, I can't make it so general that someone who knows what he's talking about won't flame me as an idiot.

livinitup0

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still in the planning and outline phases of my book.

It is a practical guide on how to become a successful debt collector.
I was in the industry for 7 years and trained other collectors for the majority of that time.

laharrison

Registered
Reaction score
My first book was about WordPress MU (the Multi-user, Multi-blog version of WordPress). I'm hoping to work on a book about Linux next.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I posted about one wip several months ago. It's still a wip. Can't seem to move it.

However, I just finished, and had published my first every devotional. Never thought I'd write a devotional but I did. Whoo-hoo. It's called DEVOTED TO QUILTING, and each devotional uses a quilt story.

Nita

DEVOTED TO QUILTING

Tippecanoe1841

Dead poets live forever.
Registered
Reaction score
My book is a biography of the ninth President of the United States. By far, the most difficult aspect of my research is the fact that the primary sources relating to Old Tippecanoe are spread out in archives and historical societies all over the country. The Cincinnati Historical Society and Indiana Historical Society have nice manuscript collections, but the primary source material is scattered everywhere. That is why I had to scale down the scope of my project-I don't have the money or time to travel all over the country gathering primary source material.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to write a book-length project on mental injuries in returning vets and what is being done (or NOT being done) to help them. I am in the research and planning stage now.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
First is a memoir / non-fiction narrative about my life through high school. Not a Disney channel take on things.

Fang100

Randomness = amusement
Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking of writing a memoir / non-fiction account of my ex's accident and its effect on both his and my family and friends (he is now a paraplegic as a result of that accident). And no, it is not what split us up - things were falling apart way before then - but it is what pushed me over the edge. Thing is, it only happend 18 months ago, and I think I'm still a little too caught up in it all emotionally to write about it and not get bogged down in the personal side of it all. I thought I was able to look at it objectively, but went to a comedy night with some friends the other week and the comedian picked on me for admitting I was single, then asked what happened with the ex. Dear God, I have never wanted to be out of a room so much! If I do ever write it, something tells me it'll be written under a pseudonym.

Fang100

Randomness = amusement
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good idea, thanks. I shall try it. And hope it's better than my attempt at writing stuff in an Ali Smith style - all you got for clues about some of her characters was 'you said' and 'i said'.

marnanel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thomasthurman.org
It's a programming book for a publisher which publishes technical books. It's a little less than a third of the way written.

This is entirely separate from my attempts to write MG/YA novels, and my poetry, let alone my day job... :)

Sir Apropos

Registered
Reaction score
Well, this seems like a decent place to begin, even if this thread doesn't seem to see a great deal of action...

I am working on my autobiography. There is no fame or fortune that merits such a writing, but I have something in common with many people that makes my tale worth telling: I am an insulin dependent diabetic for over 35 years.

The hurdles are many. For starters, there are probably HUNDREDS of similar texts out there. I'd like to think mine is different because it isn't the kind of book that takes on a patronizing tone that says, "Hi...I hear you're a diabetic. Well, here's what diabetes is, and here's what to expect." It's more along the lines of, "Listen, you dolt! Remember that entire seven-layer chocolate cake you devoured on your own last night...? Well, here's what it's going to do to you in ten years..."

There's also a kind of "choose your level of learning" in my writing. For example, you can learn the details of diabetic retinopathy, like a little something known as neovascularization, or you can cut to the chase and absorb the fact that diabetics go blind due to internal bleeding in the eyes.

As the years go on, there seems to be more and more that I learn about my own illness. I mean, who would've thought that there could be complications to the complications of diabetes? :Headbang:

I'm also trying to find the right mix of "scaring the readers straight," and allowing for hope to exist in the minds of said readers. I am 42, and the complications of diabetes make me feel as though I'm in my 60s. I did this to myself, and I want to help others avoid becoming disabled, like me.

But the greatest hurdle...? My computer went B.S.O.D. on me the other day. (That's "Blue Screen Of Doom.") The laptop with the original document won't even turn on anymore. That same document is the only corrupt file on a disc I saved it to ages ago. And just as I'd started rewriting it from scratch, my desktop seems to have shuffled loose its mortal coil. :cry:

And that, to those who bothered to read this "little" post, is my project. As soon as I can get my hands on a computer that I can call my own, and not that of a friend, I will be back to work on it. Any tips, hints, and/or suggestions on how to get this thing into the hands of those who need it most, your input would be appreciated.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember if I posted here or not. I have taken a break from trying to get published because no matter what, my query letter just didn't cut it.... until one agent out of 80 rejections gave me a little advice so I have rewritten the query and I am excited once again. I am writing my memoir "Learning to Duck" (One of many title changes and the last) It is also a self helpbook, sort of...hoping some misguided soul can connect and not repeat my mistakes...well, we will see. I have reconnected with 2 friends through Facebook and I hope they can give me some creative input.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
It's a non-fic that offers a unique perspective on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's going to take quite a bit of research and interviews. Right now I'm finishing up the planning stage and am tracking down the people I need to talk to. There have been plenty of books written about Iraq/Afghanistan since 9/11, but as far as I can tell (after extensive research), nobody's approached it in quite the way I have in mind. It's my first book ever, so I'm a little nervous, but also excited because I believe I've got a story worth telling here.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
My partner and I went to live the wilderness of Canada's north, seperated from the closest village and road by two glacier lakes and a whitewater river. We didn't have a one-year adventure in mind, but wanted to make our permanent home with only moose and bears as neighbours. We hoped to learn about the bush from the inside. What we didn't expect were the things we would learn about ourselves.

(Starting to work on my synopsis, can you tell? :tongue)

Daniel

Registered
Reaction score
I have just published

A Brief History Of Lies by Daniel Nanavati.
Its a humorous and serious book about how we are habituated and also evolved to lie and ho the leis we tell ourselves are the bedrock of civilisation. With eight cartoons by Calvin Innes - I was very lucky to find such a first rate cartoonist.
From idea to publishing it took a year and four months including getting permissions from all the experts quoted and four months with Penguin New York (they read it even though I have no agent) where it went right to the top and eventually they said they 'couldn't bing out enough copies to make it viable'. Given that is the hot subject in the coming years I decided to go publish on demand with a group or artists here in the UK.
It has been a very interesting exercise working with professional proof readers and type setters and making sure I have a web page and daily short weblog culminating in my launch date today (14th February 2010)
The most difficult aspect of it was knowing I needed reviews and seeing how POD books are ignored and rejected in the submission rules for so many places. Of the fifty blogs and sites I emailed a press release to, four took me up.I await to see if they will review.

Insana D

Channeling Molly Ivins
Registered
Reaction score
Website
insanadfindingthepony.blogspot.com
Finding The Pony By Insana D

With Larger than Life characters like Glenn Beck, Mitt Romney, Marie Osmond and other famous LDS (Mormon) people in the news I am hoping to offer something a little light and humorous but pointed and real that gives a glimpse into the cultural aspects of the Mormon mindset and world. Some of these people have great influence over our politics, over portions of the right wing media and the civil rights of other citizens in the United States. This book is a playful magnifying glass that may send some of them scurrying for cover.

Finding The Pony is a celebration of the spirit of optimism in the face of the huge pile of fetid feces that life often places before us, especially the life relegated to a spirited, playful, irreverent, young Mormon girl. In addition to a personal story relating to the cultural experience of being LDS this tale includes numerous dark parodies and tender essays that culminate the mood and indoctrination that inevitably spawn a determined spirit of rebellion, freedom, and courage to finally be free of all those anvils.

Perhaps many people who escape religious oppression will relate to the process of enlightenment and human nature to reach beyond the tight tiny island borders and brave the waves to a new way of seeing their world and fellow human beings. Some of these stories are exclusively LDS but have tones that apply to Muslim, Jehovah’s Witness, or most any Patriarchal dominated religious order. Humor is a great salve for most wounds, especially the wounds of the mind and I approach my own difficulties with a spirit of silly, bawdy, ironic, and sometimes very dark humor that appeals to a more sophisticated audience.

After three years of daily practice in the arts of entertaining, enlightening, and supporting hundreds of others who have been through similar experiences, I have finally decided to respond to their encouragement to offer my writing to a broader world. This book is the culmination of many of those engaging conversations.

When I have recovered from the success of this book (Do you see the frisky happy pony yet?) I hope to offer another more sharp edged book where I channel the spirit of the great Molly Ivins in a playful attempt to poke a few holes in the vast weak dam of Mormonism and religious devotion at the expense of reason and practicality. My own Unitarian & Post-Mormon communities claim to be on the edge of their seats in anticipation. I hope to not keep them waiting long.