UK querying question

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
So this time around sending my new shiny out to agents, I've noticed a rise in the "one for all" submissions email address. As in,

Send your three chapters and a cover letter to: submissions.at.awesomesauce.com

First of all, how is the correct way to start one of these things? Coz all that Dear Sir/Madaam stuff gets a bad rep, but I can't exactly personalise the sucker if it could be picked up by six or more agents/assistants.

Is the answer that I'm over thinking this, and these agencies don't want any personalisation? Coz I've noticed a bit of a decline in my request rates, namely from these sorts of agencies, and wondering if I'm doing something really wrong!

Should I be FAO-ing them?

I much prefer to personalise each letter. Any advice, oh sage and world wise experts?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
When I was submitting to agencies with a joint e-mail address, I still personalized my letter to the agent I was specifically targeting. What the joint address means is that, most likely, the agent you specify will be the first to read/evaluate your query, but that it's possible other agents at said agency might be interested, too.

However, the default--unless the agency guidelines state that every agent considers each query equally--is that you are still sending your query to a single agent.

That's my advice, at any rate.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, i know what you mean, most agencies have the info@ email.

I found that if you address it to the one person, it will get to them. Sometimes you'll be given a second email address to correspond with them for partials and fulls.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice both of you!

Yeah... I've not been doing that. Do you guys literally write FAO: Mrs agent in the subject? Or just address it to the person in the body of the email?

Thanks for your help :)