The Bookity Book & Tall Grass Salon

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the poem, too, but they either corrected the typo or I just missed it entirely.

My wife (she wasn't my wife at the time) and I had our first argument about lemons in a supermarket. Go figure.

That's funny, Jeffo (and sweet.)

Here's the typo:
I mopped onion on the counter
with the dull knife, while you set the table

I'm pretty sure that word should be "chopped". :D

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Funny to remember the first argument. I have no idea about ours, but I do remember a couple of flame-outs without remembering the reason.

I love the new weather.com. I can get 5 day forecast without changing the page. Lazy me.

We have some sun. Thinking of Buffalo and all that snow. Way over the top! Jeff, are you snowed in - I see you're in central NY.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our first argument was at home, over shampoo. I didn't want to go out until I'd had a chance to wash my hair. He wanted to go now.

Maryn, amused that we could fight over such trivia

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, good morning. I think I remember fighting with my (long ex) husband over whether he was going to buy an expensive item in the grocery store, after he'd upbraided me for irresponsible spending in the previous breath.

To his credit he did see the absurdity of his double standard immediately.

The Writer's Almanac for November 21, 2014

The poem today, um, in its way, reminds me of a highly contentious AW thread and current news item, about an ill-chosen shirt. Only obliquely of course.

Today's got some weighty birthdays. Voltaire, Arthur Quiller-Couch, and Isaac Bashevis Singer.

Quiller-Couch assembled the Oxford Book of English Verse, which was a landscape feature in my childhood, and he authored the phrase "murder your darlings".

Good to know who to blame that on.

:D

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, bah humbug. I was part way through a no-doubt-clever post when our power blinked for a moment. Gone! Worse is having to reset most of the digital clocks. Is there some reason newer ones can't store a few seconds of power like the ones bought twenty years ago?

Anyway, I liked the shoulders poem. I guess I've been either fortunate or wise not to know which thread you're talking about.

Maryn, not a fan of contentious posts here or elsewhere

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
I don't fight. Ever. Except on message boards about Gator football. This is why:

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;

I've been saying that was Frost, but it was Longfellow. And the rest of the poem doesn't match the sentiment, but it was one of the things we were taught as kids, that once you said something, it was out of your control, so you had to be careful about it. So I am. I later found this one, by my favorite poet (this is part of the reason) I'm even transcribing it myself for your morning reading:

He/She by Stephen Dunn

Brought up never getting punched
in the mouth for saying more
than the situation can bear,

she argues beyond winning,
screaming indictments
after the final indictment

has skewered him into silence,
if not agreement.
The words she uses

mean she is feeling something large
which needs words, perhaps
the way Pollack needed paint.

Next day, the words are unimportant
to her, while all
he's thinking about

are the words she used --
if recovering from them
is possible.

Years ago, the schoolyard taught him
one word too many meant
broken fingers, missing teeth;

you chose careful or you chose war.
You were the last word
you let live.

She was in the elsewhere girls were,
learning other lessons,
the ones men learn

too lat or not at all; you took in,
cared for, without keeping score
you shaped a living space

into a kind of seriousness.
Retract those words, he says.
But she is only

sensing his reserve, his inability
to perceive that her wrong words
meant so much hurt and love.

Reading that 15 years ago changed my perspective on everything, whether it's right or not.

We found out yesterday that my wife does not have a brain tumor. We still need an explanation for the headaches, but anything that's not a brain tumor has to be good. Hope y'all have a good day.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Matt, that is wonderful news. :Hug2:

And that is a wonderful poem you shared, too. Thanks for that. The message seems even more important these days; folks are flying off the handle and pulling guns on each other all over the place.

Maryn, I agree, digital clocks orta have better memories. :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sincerely hope whatever's behind the headaches can be identified and treated. But a big Whew! that it's not a brain tumor.

Maryn, concerned

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Wow, you have been worried about a brain tumor? What a load of relief! So glad for you.

Loved the poem you shared. I can see why it would change things. I like that it's very clear what it means (or can mean) but also poetic. Sometimes you get one without the other. The sentence with Pollack was so right. I'm going to look up some more of Dunn's work.

Kyla, what's this about a shirt?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shirt.

And if you go there, please be aware that my comparison of the poem to any of that was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and also in no way equating the two.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
My goodness - 14 pages of comments. That must be where everyone is. I noticed that things are slow on AW - even QLH - and thought people were writing for NANO, but instead they were arguing about a shirt. LOL

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Actually, I think that thread has died down a bit, but for a few days it was hot and hoppin'.

Right now there seems to be a lot of action in Roundtable....

maybe everyone will go have their lunch and then take a nap.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I'm a sucker for shoulders.

And thanks for pointing out the error. I remember reading the 'mopped' and pausing, trying to picture the narrator maybe scraping onion juice and bits and pieces off the cutting board with the knife. It didn't quite match up right.

Lot of fussin' and fightin' going on about the boards right now. I largely steer clear.

Whiporee, I hope there's resolution soon. Good luck!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

The Writer's Almanac for November 22, 2014

I think I can say the poem today is saved by its rhythm, from being a mere jingle. That, and perhaps its non-jingly subject matter.

Ah, today in 1963, President John Kennedy was shot.

George Eliot and Andre Gide were born, and it's the feast day of Saint Cecilia, patron saint of musicians, because, it is said, she sang to God as she was being done in. Interesting reason.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Ah, Middlemarch. I have never been able to read it. The story makes me crazy. The poem was not my cuppa...the only thing that remotely saved it for me was the wrapping of the "is gone..."

Hope I'm not going to be grumpy today. We have sunshine (but cold cold) and it's Saturday. What's not to love? Also my novel has taken a real step forward. Happy writing to all.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

Lacy, glad your day contained happy things, even if you were also grumpy. :D Good on ya for the novel progress!

The Writer's Almanac for November 23, 2014

Today's poem pictures a moment, nicely, as it places itself second to the moment's validity (or so I read it.)

Today is the anniversary of astronomer Edwin Hubble's announcement of his discovery of the first galaxy outside the Milky Way.

It's also the birthday of Jennifer Michael Hecht, who has some cogent remarks about the relative value of science and art, at least to herself. She's highly qualified to comment.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I liked that poem a lot! Thank you for pointing me right at it, and at so many others.

I used to live in Boston, where the rapid pace did not really agree with me, although I managed. (I was younger then!) I remember standing outside, waiting for the T (the subway-trolly system) when I heard honking overhead. I looked up and saw a huge V of geese making their way south most indirectly, circling the general area. A guy also waiting noticed my tilted head and also looked up, then nudged his friend's ribs. Within a minute, thirty or forty people were all watching those geese, and when the T arrived, only four or five boarded.

I like to think that for a few minutes, none of us was in a crowded city. We were all outdoors in nature.

Maryn, grateful

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You were.

:)

Thanks for telling that story.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira are salt marshes/wildlife refuges a few miles from here. Since childhood I have been accustomed to geese in long, veering Mexican Trains, honking across the skies this time of year. There are also ducks, sandhill cranes and, if we are lucky, whooping cranes stopping to feed at the marshes. One of the few reasons I step outside in November. The poem tells it straight, nice autumny feel in the old folks taking a walk before the "kids" with the grandkids arrive.--s6

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Love the current avatar, Shakey.]

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here! What a cutie! :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning. And, oops, I am very late! I was drawn outside this morning, because we're having an unusually warm day and I kind of got involved with plants and stuff out there. :D

The Writer's Almanac for November 24, 2014

As for today's poem, I love the concept and not sure I really enjoyed the treatment, but that's no doubt just my quirks.

Birthday today for Margaret Anderson, who serialized Ulysses, and was convicted on obscenity charges:
At the trial, the judge wouldn't let the offending material be read in her presence, because she was a woman, even though she had published it. But she said that the worst part of the experience was just the fact that all those issues of her magazine had been burned.

Ursula Le Guin would be proud. Was, no doubt.

Other birthdays today are for Benedict Spinoza, Laurence Sterne, and Nuruddin Farah. Good reading, in this almanac today.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaand, that was yesterday.

Good morning, again. May this little almanac and my links to it offer a sense of perspective, in some small way.

The Writer's Almanac for November 25, 2014

Having moved about a lot, I find the poem today speaks truth to part of that experience. Lately some of the stories of my personal history are rising up in memory much like that blinking yellow light at Main and Oak.

Today is the birthday of Andrew Carnegie, Joe DiMaggio, Helen Hoover Santmyer, and Lewis Thomas.

Going to find out if things are better this morning, as Thomas said they most often are.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Good morning, Kyla. And yes, appreciative hugs to you for this daily respite!

Santmyer is an inspiration. Famous at 88 - that means there's still time :) I went on Amazon and bought Lewis' Life of a Cell. Been trying to read outside my comfort zone and found the premise interesting.

Ok, off to the writing life. It's grey here today - perfect for staying inside and doing a little plotting.