Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
yeah i started off writing YA but now everyone is telling me that my books are adult simply because my MC's are older then 18 now. But the series started when they were 13 and even now with like sex and stuff more "adult-ish" it is extremely innocent compared to other YA books I've read

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Traditionally, yes YA books have to have characters that are teens. The real definition of YA has more to do with voice, pacing, feel, and archetypes than character age. That's why there are adult books about young characters but few young adult books about adults.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah sadly, no matter what others say i'm not changing mine, they have to be older when the rest of the books happen, but the voice and plots never changes. The series is going to end when their like 23/24. Not horrible.

Wow i just realized the series will span exactly over 10 years, WOW.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
My YA UF protagonist is standing in a space station looking down on Earth. I think the odds of me capturing how absolutely incredible that experience would be are approximately 0%. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing for myself but i'm still looking to get published. If i cant hook an agent/publisher that will go for them being over 18 oh well I'll self publish.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hey if it were a vampire book or some kind of immortal teen, he could be 177!

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
Haha yes! He only ages once every ten years. XD So he'd be 30 by the time he turned into a toddler. :O

Is it sad that system of aging actually makes sense to me for immortal characters? It always bothered me they grow up like normal people, then have the appearance of a 17 year old for the rest of their life. o.o;

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm just going to see how many variations on the word "incredible" I can squeeze in. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
No that always bothered me too! So why for the first 17 years do they grow up normal then just stop ageing? WHY!

I was actually fiddling around with a system of aging for my characters... But in reverse, limiting there age because of there abilites wears them out more easily and there bodies just start to shut down on them much earlier then normal.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm making sure this next book is YA. No agent will want to sign a thirteen year old to a contract for an adult book...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Hey if i wanted help trying to come up with a title... (yes i know titles change and arent that important but i really want to figure this one out) where would i post that?

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys~ I'm working on my manga right now... Pulled an all-nighter becausw I need to finish it by midnight today, so I'm in zombie mode. I'll need to finish coloring the cover soon, but I've suddenly realised something - I don't have a title yet! Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty desperate. Here's the summary:

Annie has to hunt people's souls to feed her sick half-demon brother. A person without a soul is just a body in a coma-like state. One day her brother says he has almost completely recovered, but needs one more soul - the soul of Annie's only friend.

I've debated calling it choices, as she has to choose whether to save her friend or her brother, but it seems too obvious...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Soul Stealer
The Soulful Choice

Yeah that's all i got sorry...

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
Oooh I like Soul Stealer. :O Very Manga-ish too.

My temp. title for my WIP I've decided will be "Technically Me" until I come up with something better. :p

And hey there, Parump and BG! How are you doing?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My YA UF protagonist is standing in a space station looking down on Earth. I think the odds of me capturing how absolutely incredible that experience would be are approximately 0%. :tongue

I came in reading Talia's post and went ..."Para is writing space now?"

And now I come up here and HOLY WOW, Para is writing in space!

A very common thing for astronaughts is something called Orbital Vertigo. Its like falling, but you're falling SO MUCH faster than you've ever fallen before.

Which is not a phobia or a psychosomatic thing! No, no, it's your brain realizing...that's exactly what is happening.

"Orbit" is literally just falling so fast (a few thousand miles per second) that you miss the planet.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Here are a picture, to help!

69632_v1.jpg

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Para, make sure she has some sort of Important Realization while on that space station, yeah?

Mostly she realises that her new life is awesome. :tongue

I came in reading Talia's post and went ..."Para is writing space now?"

And now I come up here and HOLY WOW, Para is writing in space!

A very common thing for astronaughts is something called Orbital Vertigo. Its like falling, but you're falling SO MUCH faster than you've ever fallen before.

Which is not a phobia or a psychosomatic thing! No, no, it's your brain realizing...that's exactly what is happening.

"Orbit" is literally just falling so fast (a few thousand miles per second) that you miss the planet.

Kiiiiind of writing in space. In my YA UF everyone has like a little imaginary place where they can build whatever cool imaginary stuff they like, and the teacher demonstrates the possibilities of this by building the International Space Station. So the protagonist walks in and holy shit she's in space! But it's an imaginary version so it doesn't need to be scientifically accurate. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.